PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Our GP is doing flu jabs 1/10 (am) and 10/10(pm)...appointments only, no drop in this year
  • morning all! love the thread, will be popping by to see everyone's ideas for keeping cosy in the chilly season. I've not done too much prep yet, haven't had chance as we've been busy moving house. But hopefully my dad's going to come and sort out the loft insulation (we have some but it needs spreading out, and I don't fancy going up there with all the spiders!) and have rang a company about getting some free cavity wall insulation.

Has anybody had any good / bad experiences with cavity wall insulation?

Keep cosy!

Jo x

I had free cavity wall insulation and notice the house is warmer, but rarely get spiders thankfully.

Have washed our furry throws and they have been in use already in the evenings. I also shut my curtains at dusk. Heating has been tested but not "on" yet. Usually find a jumper/fleece and throws keep us warm for a while yet.

Its supposed to be a nice day here in the south tomorrow so as well as normal washing I am going to dig the winter tog duvets out of storage and air them outside. It has been getting colder in the night and I'm back to wearing fleecy pjs. Bed socks are at the ready :D. Ive found gloves and scarves and am going to wash them out tomorrow too, as I suffer pain in my neck and hands when its cold and its been chilly several mornings this week. I'm going to give my slippers a wash too as have noticed feet getting cold, and will wash summer dressing gown and pack away and get out thicker winter one.

Car has had an mot and service this week. Advisory to get new front tires in the next few thousand miles, so will probably get some new ones put on before xmas. I dont do many miles locally but I do drive "up norf" to visit family at xmas time so tread will help if we get bad weather ;)

Bought DS a new winter coat a few weeks ago in sale. Mine is still good for another year, and have dug out boots from storage and heels/soles should last another winter. I noticed Pound1and and 99p store have gloves/scarves/hats in this week. Always handy to have a spare pair in the house & car and some really nice ones good for stocking fillers
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Just checked...walk in clinic for two weeks 8.30am-Noon 1.00pm-5.30pm and even Saturdays 9am 11.30am so that's not bad...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • My GP is doing flu clinics in alphabetical order this year - mine is sat 6th oct between 9.30-10.15. Hopefully this will reduce the queue which is usually out the door and round the corner
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not eligible this year :( but I heard Asda are doing them...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Thanks for the new thread.

I followed last year but ran out of money/time and still have things to do

List for the next week -
    1. Sort and wash all winter coats
    2. Get the gloves/hats out of the garage and sort/wash
    3. Go up into the loft and hunt for the quilts that must be up there cos I can't find them anywhere else and we have a small house so they should be easy to spot!!

Job to do by the end of the month - start lining the curtains

We've had the heating on here in the mornings and early evenings just to take the chill off - rads are all turned down low and some are off completely

Away now to bookmark this thread :]]

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • I am elegible for the flu jab on account of my asthma and will have it done the week after next. DS had a flu jab a year ago and had such a bad reaction that the GP recommended that my son should never have the flu jab ever again (!?). I guess I'll just have to pump the kid with vitamin C and echinacea to build up his resistance to bugs...:cool:

As for winter, I got a microwavable stuffed toy to keep DS warm -he loves it! It doesn't warm up the bed as I had hoped but since DS cuddles it for sleep it keeps him cozy. His feet area is cold so I may have to get a second wheat bag for this, or use a traditional hot water bottle and take it out before he gets into bed.

I had all storage heaters serviced and prepped. I also got fleece to hang behind the blinds in the kitchen (to be used at night only to avoid creating unnecessary condensation while cooking). Next month I will get fleece for the rest of the house and thermal underwear.
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • MoonJelly wrote: »
    I am elegible for the flu jab on account of my asthma and will have it done the week after next. DS had a flu jab a year ago and had such a bad reaction that the GP recommended that my son should never have the flu jab ever again (!?). I guess I'll just have to pump the kid with vitamin C and echinacea to build up his resistance to bugs...:cool:

As for winter, I got a microwavable stuffed toy to keep DS warm -he loves it! It doesn't warm up the bed as I had hoped but since DS cuddles it for sleep it keeps him cozy. His feet area is cold so I may have to get a second wheat bag for this, or use a traditional hot water bottle and take it out before he gets into bed.

I had all storage heaters serviced and prepped. I also got fleece to hang behind the blinds in the kitchen (to be used at night only to avoid creating unnecessary condensation while cooking). Next month I will get fleece for the rest of the house and thermal underwear.

Mum never bothered with the jab and I only started in recent years...so I suppose I should continue...

Did you see what I posted about fleeces(I forget where)but a friend on my blog suggested the following. Perhaps it could help.

"Actually, this particular project is fine for folks who don't do much sewing. You can use a yarn or tapestry needly which is big and yarn which is much easier to work with. I just used a whip stitch which is the easiest one.

I also made one for my brother who gets horrible ache in his legs when the weather is cold or damp.

I took two and sewed them end to end, then flipped one end up to make a pocket and sewed up the pocket-sides. He sticks his feet into the pocket and the backside of it keeps his calves warm, the front then goes over his legs so it keeps him warm when he watches TV. So easy and cheap and it works really well.

Lots of things you can do with fleece."

Here's an unusual idea for getting ready for winter...

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/autumn-skincare-skin-problems-solutions-dry-combination.html
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • For anyone interested Peacocks have some more fleece Dressing Gowns and they are so soft and warm(They are more like a cashmere feel)in the men's department I have DG already but may get a spare.

• I've just put on my brushed cotton bedlinen as I've been feeling the cold.

My weekend task (alongside the big pile of work I've brought home) is to make a to-do list for my upcoming week off. I usually do some clothes shopping, sort out my store cupboards and defrost my freezer/cook batches of something every day to stock it up again.

Some of my work clothes are really past their best, so hopefully, I find something I like but cheap enough for any pen stains not to be a disaster. I also make a head start on Christmas shopping - even if it's just a token box of chocolates or tin of biscuits, it makes me feel better!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure