PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2013 at 3:38PM
    If you are very new to bread making and don't have much time you should try the Airy Fairy Easy Peasy Soda Bread in a girl called jack's blog. I made it at the weekend as I havent made bread since school about 15 years ago! It took literally 5 minutes to make and then 20 mins to cook. Not sure if its ideal for sandwiches but was lovely with some soup. Could be a good starting point though?

I spend a lot of time on that blog, some great frugal (and inventive) recipes. I'm looking to see if I can swap loaves for hm in a way that makes it cheaper but I'm 100% sure it is looking at recipes etc because I get whoopsie loaves or for toast value bread at 47p a loaf. I might have a go at some of these fab recipes for treats and extras (those posted look fabulous) but can't see me swapping shop bought for HM at the mo though.
    It was a good idea in theory lol!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I aimed for £67 last week and finished on £67.44. Not too shabby. This week so far I have spent 45.58 in Lidl and Tesco and but have a full fridge etc so that should last a fair few days. Also £5.21 to the milkman (including a tray of eggs). I've updated my sig and am quite happy with this month! I can see a huge difference in food spends since restarting the challenge!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Did my online holiday shop. Won't add to signature till its all confirmed but its around the £90.... ouch! However plenty of alcohol included in that, and treats for the kiddies! Been looking for tesco voucher to add to order, either free delivery or something but can't find anything unless you are a first time online shopper :( Never mind!

Apart from that, i still haven't been to the shops. Making use of what is left in my home.... not a lot tho! Will be going to shops tomorrow to get food to travel with. We leave tomorrow afternoon for a week so i won't be online much (might use phone to read and thank post, but no good for posting). Really looking forward to a week away. Much needed!

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    FINALLY been paid from my new job :) :j

And also have had my Tax Credits claim processed.

So, i am going to pay all of my bills, and then do my food shop online tomorrow. I am going to start rebuilding my stock cupboard that has been depleted over the last 12 months.

It feels good to be earning again :)
  • Afternoon! went shopping yesterday and spent £19.53 so will add to sig. Was mostly baking items and it also included a new baking tray for £3. It's Oh's birthday sunday and I'm making cherry and coconut cake. YUM! x x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • Puddickle
    Puddickle Posts: 34 Forumite
    Those bread rolls do look fab - I might have a go at making some myself... but my baking skills aren't exactly brilliant!

With just tonight and tomorrow to go I think we are on track to not spend any more money on groceries this week... which means we are still under target. We're going away on holiday (camping over the bank holiday weekend, with parents and sister) and they all have much more money than we do so it might be difficult to keep within budget... but we are quite determined to see what we can do, and we've told them what we are trying to achieve so hopefully they will be supportive.
    CC debt £2,528.65/£31,193.22 - Slowly plugging away
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Teg-Rem wrote: »
    Hi Florenceem, what is the recipe for your all in one cake it looks delicious, I wouldn't mind having a go at that, don't do much baking but could probably manage that one, my cakes always go flat, and presumably it's cheap to make aswell??
    thanks in anticipation.
    Sift 6 ozs Self Raising flour + 1 rounded tsp baking powder into bowl. Add 3 eggs + 6 ozs caster sugar + 6 ozs Utterly Butterly or similar soft marge - suitable for baking. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Then I whisked with electric hand whisk - you could beat with wooden spoon - just take longer. I found the mix was not soft enough so added 1 1/2 Tbsp of water.
    I used 7 inch cake tins as didn't have 8 inch ones. I greased the tins and drew round the bottom onto baking parchment - cut out and lined base.
    Cook 30 - 35 minutes - 170. I used 160 as new powerful fan oven. Don't open door for 30 minutes or cake will flatten.
    Turn out on to wire tray.
    I put the cooled cakes in a old Christmas biscuit tin overnight then sandwiched together with jam this morning. I find they sandwich better - the next day. I sprinkled top of cake with caster sugar.
    Cost - for 12 slices of yummy cake - 89p.
    So much nicer than shop bought.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/253
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £45.77/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • :oMind if I join you.

Decided to try and start controlling my spend on Groceries. Quite a tight budget at the moment as trying save for holidays in September. I am starting afresh from tomorrow so have decided August into weeks. I have 3 weeks which I have a total spend of £75.00 so it is going to be a challenge as that is what I pay for my groceries per week. However, I do have full cupboards and freezer plus a new s/c to play with.

Will be back when I spend some money, hopefully it not until Saturday.

x
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just a quick post to say Asda have 3 killo bags of Allison Strong Bread flour for 2.00. I have stocked up as its my favourite.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    FINALLY been paid from my new job :) :j

And also have had my Tax Credits claim processed.

So, i am going to pay all of my bills, and then do my food shop online tomorrow. I am going to start rebuilding my stock cupboard that has been depleted over the last 12 months.

It feels good to be earning again :)

So pleased its been sorted for you at last, you have really had a struggle.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport