£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• Doodles152
    Doodles152 Posts: 82 Forumite
    I'm really impressed with how you spread out any extra money.

Agree you need to spread money out and allow for "life" otherwise if it is all sent to debt payment you wouldn't then have funds for clothing etc etc and would end up putting more onto CC

You've done brilliantly reducing your outgoings by so much
    Debts to deal with Cap 1 £3996.83 £3923.43 (0%), Next £1252.21 £1211.85 (0%) Very £294.88 £282.64, Studio £266.11 £256.11 (0%), Halifax card £277.17 £466.01:mad:
  • princesst84
    princesst84 Posts: 641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have done so well getting on top of your budget, I wish I could be half as disciplined as you are.

Just a quick note on your mobiles, are you still in contract? We have both got iphones, i couldnt live without mine! We have just moved to plusnet. 1500 minutes, 4GB of 4G data and unlimited texts for £10 pm on a rolling 30 day contract so if our phones did break and we couldnt afford to buy a 2nd hand one outright we would go back onto a contract with a new handset. Worth a look if you are out of contract
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think we all do it differently and it depends on our situation and family dynamic etc. You are right to do what fits with you. Its a marathon and not only will you get to the finish line, I believe you will have much better financial behaviour so maybe when it is paid off you will be saving some of what you now put towards debt for a life goal. I liken it to a diet - I just can't do diets and cut everything 'nice' out so when I am heavier than I want to be I just cut down and exercise more...with money and debts I know I am the same - if I totally stripped back to bare essentials and ploughed into debt I would eventually have a big 'binge'! Its about changing habits as much as paying it off IMO.

Looking all very positive and great for motivation to have a good review about where things are :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • You have done so well getting on top of your budget, I wish I could be half as disciplined as you are.

Just a quick note on your mobiles, are you still in contract? We have both got iphones, i couldnt live without mine! We have just moved to plusnet. 1500 minutes, 4GB of 4G data and unlimited texts for £10 pm on a rolling 30 day contract so if our phones did break and we couldnt afford to buy a 2nd hand one outright we would go back onto a contract with a new handset. Worth a look if you are out of contract
    We are still in contract, and my phone is on its last legs thanks to a dip in the bath a few months back (speaker is very quiet when on the phone), but I'll see if DH is prepared to keep his rather than upgrade. Worth keeping in mind, thanks!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Bobarella wrote: »
    I always find cash a funny one to reconcile. Is it better to just write down, £20 cash point and then you know that's a solid amount to take out of the budget or do you bother with writing down every single item bought with the cash?

I tend to lean more and more to being a card tapper :) contactless makes it so easy.
    I now have a YNAB 'account' which is all the cash in our house (kept in a tin, we keep about £100 in there most of the time), and every time we spend any it is entered into YNAB immediately. It's working well for us - we used to fritter away a lot of money by taking out a tenner for something that was a couple of quid and then the rest would disappear into the ether.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Knackered! Just back from epic food shop which cost a truly terrifying amount. 95% sure I have everything we need for the party now though.

To do today:
    1. Eat healthily and walk 10,000 steps. I gained about 2lb last week in comfort eating, and was at the top end of my happy weight before that! Really need to get on top of this - feeling unhealthy and inactive really affects my mood. Have eaten pretty well and done 6,000 steps. Not perfect, but not bad.
    2. Put a laundry on and hang it out on airers. The weather is horrible now, but set to clear this afternoon, so might be able to stick the airers outside for an hour or two. Done!
    3. Food shopping, including last shopping for party bits. Done!
    4. Valued opinions for surveys. Not done, no time.
    5. Social media for work. Done.
    6. Make two meals while cooking this evening, so there is something ready for a lazy night this week. Realised I didn't even have the ingredients for the one meal as I hadn't been food shopping yet, so ended up making scrambled eggs! Not quite according to plan.
    7. Help DC1 choose presents for DC2 and 3. Not sure whether to go to toy shop (perhaps nicer for him) or order online (cheaper and can get cashback, which would interest him, but harder to find ideas if he doesn't have something in mind). Not done - he wants to go to a real shop so it will have to wait until Weds.

To do this week:
    1. List old unloved handbag on eb@y - this didn't get done last week, annoyingly.
    2. List old nursing chair on eb@y too, unless my mum wants it back (we 'borrowed' it 9 years ago, she had said before we can sell it when we no longer need it, but I will double check)
    3. Make more candles - essential oils are here and I am running low again! (I spent a fortune on scented candles before starting to make them!)
    4. Finish sock knitting and cast on socks for my dad's birthday.
    5. Pay preschool bill (they didn't give me an invoice last week, hoping it will be there this morning for me when I drop off DC3).
  • Week 5: Day 3

Morning! Have just about recovered from trauma of epic food shop yesterday. So much stuff! I'm going to try to bag up things like treasure hunt prizes this week and make sure we have enough of everything (sweets and chocolatey stuff, mainly, which is at least cheap if we need more). I'm hoping to find we have far too much and that we can save some for snacks and treats over Easter, but I doubt it somehow!

Have a fairly un-busy day today, so am going to do a good walk with DC3 into town and back to pick up shower gel, which I forgot in the excitement of buying 12 metric tonnes of sugary junk yesterday in Aldi. Parent's meetings for DC1 and 2 this afternoon. Need to discuss the general thuggish behaviour going on in DC2's class (he is always coming home with a fresh scrape or bruise from someone being silly, but it doesn't sound like bullying either to or from him, and he isn't unhappy - want to check it with the teacher though).

To do today:
    1. Eat healthily and walk 10,000 steps.
    2. Get at least one laundry on the line, preferably two. This time of year is always tricky for laundry - heating not on enough to easily dry inside, but frequently raining and cold outside!
    3. Check valued opinions for surveys
    4. Social media for work.
    5. Try again to make two meals while cooking this evening, since I now actually have some ingredients!
    6. Balance YNAB - forgot to do this yesterday and there's always a few transactions to add as they clear after the weekend.
    7. Plan both party treasure hunts and print out pictures.

To do this week:
    1. List old unloved handbag on eb@y - this didn't get done last week, annoyingly.
    2. List old nursing chair on eb@y too, unless my mum wants it back (we 'borrowed' it 9 years ago, she had said before we can sell it when we no longer need it, but I will double check)
    3. Make more candles - essential oils are here and I am running low again! (I spent a fortune on scented candles before starting to make them!)
    4. Finish sock knitting and cast on socks for my dad's birthday.
    5. Pay preschool bill.
  • Moneywhizz
    Moneywhizz Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think you have a great plan in place for both living and paying off the debt. There is no point in throwing every penny at the debt and living a miserable life for a few years. If you begin to earn a lot more money you can always reassess the percentages or even add a pot for the parental loan. Hope the parties go well and your hospital appointment too. Just to encourage you, low level pain most often isn't one of the signs of anything serious. Fingers crossed.
  • I have come to the conclusion that I am better with a black and white 'don't spend any money at all' rule. Since having these big birthday spends I am aware I have been much more careless with money. Not loads, but have definitely overspent by perhaps £20 this week on various bits and bobs, which our budget doesn't have the scope for (certainly not every week or even every month really). Have just realised this after popping into town for some ribbon, and coming back with too much ribbon, fancy herbal tea (£2.50 a box) and a bag of sweets. All mentally justified on the basis that we've already overspent for this month so it hardly matters. This is a real weakness of mine - once I'm over budget there is a huge temptation to just go '**** it, I might as well keep on spending.' Must try to be even more aware of this.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    I have the exact same attitude TOP - it's a slippery slope, isn't it? It's good now that you recognise it and know how to avoid it where possible. I think it's right to just write off what has happened, draw a line, grab your composure and commitment and start again. IT's easy to beat yourself up for these spends, but it won't change anything. As long as you're learning from your behaviour, i think that's a win.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure