Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I actually eat cauliflower leaves and cook it like cabbage. Can't tell the difference and its MSE as getting '2 for 1'

SNAP ! :D

I can tell the difference and actually prefer Cauli leaves to most if not all cabbages.

It's only the very outer leaves that are perhaps a bit tatty and beyond their best that I'd use for stock - as I said before, those that you'd just throw away.

When selecting a cauliflower I obviously look for the largest head available that's really white with nice tight florets but I also try to find one that got as much greenery surrounding it as possible because it's DELICIOUS :j
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I visited a previously unknown (to me) Aldi this afternoon and made a point of checking out the Brussels. All looked absolutely fine to me, good sizes and fresh green appearance.

One think that made me chuckle was spotting the ready spiralised veg and cauliflower rice :rotfl:
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Aldi's vodka (the one with the red label) for £9.99?

Also, do they sell tomato juice? Anyone know how much this costs?

I'm thinking of making blood themed cocktails for a halloween party and don't want to be turning up with Tesco Value products...!

I'm pretty sure both Aldi and Lidl sell tomato juice 99p a litre last week at Lidl it was on offer 20p off I think.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure both Aldi and Lidl sell tomato juice 99p a litre last week at Lidl it was on offer 20p off I think.

Definitely had tomato juice in my Aldi today but didn't notice the price.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    My local Aldi didn't have the own brand microwaveable rice this week (handy as a standby) - instead it had Uncle Ben's at not too far off twice the price.

I hope this isn't a trend towards selling major brands.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not sure they sell tomato juice, but the vodka's fine - much like any other vodka.

Agreed. I wouldn't drink it neat but as a mixer, who can tell?
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Was told that Aldi steak was good.

Thought I would try it, thinking it would be ok but not great.

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Not keen on their veg though. It is ok if you use it straightaway but does not keep well in my experience.

Our once a month treat is Aldi ribeye steak (don't try the Lidl equivalent though, because we have found it chewy and lacking in taste) with HM oven chips and mushrooms.
    When we were a bit better off, we used to buy steak at Sainsburys or Waitrose, but this is much better and a lot cheaper.
    To cook it, I use a large Circulon frying pan, and I rub a little olive oil on the steak (never the pan), then season with a little salt, and a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. I heat the pan for about five or six minutes at a hot setting on the hob and cook for three minutes each side (for pink in the middle). For the last minute, I add a little knob of butter to the pan and using a spoon, nappe the steak with it when it melts.
    I always rest the steak for around five minutes at least.
    Only two weeks until our next one;)
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Our once a month treat is Aldi ribeye steak (don't try the Lidl equivalent though, because we have found it chewy and lacking in taste) with HM oven chips and mushrooms.
    When we were a bit better off, we used to buy steak at Sainsburys or Waitrose, but this is much better and a lot cheaper.
    To cook it, I use a large Circulon frying pan, and I rub a little olive oil on the steak (never the pan), then season with a little salt, and a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. I heat the pan for about five or six minutes at a hot setting on the hob and cook for three minutes each side (for pink in the middle). For the last minute, I add a little knob of butter to the pan and using a spoon, nappe the steak with it when it melts.
    I always rest the steak for around five minutes at least.
    Only two weeks until our next one;)

You should never put the salt on until the very end
    All it does is absorb moisture from the steak which is the last thing you want
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I buy the Aldi rib eye steak quite often as it's the only steak I like and it's good for the money. For me it's not quite as good as Waitrose meat counter rib eye but there is little in it especially when considering the greater price of the latter. IMO neither is a patch on the rib eye steaks you get in Costco though.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick note, bought some more Brussel sprouts and this time they were a lot larger than last time and not buggy.

Also noted that they have dropped the price of the Parsnips in my branch to 35p, no doubt in competition to Lidl's current 29p offer.

On another note. If you go into Lidl's for their 29p offer on cherry tomatoes, have a dig around. I managed to pick up 2 packets marked cherry tomatoes but they contained small plum tomatoes. Went through tills OK.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income