School Holiday Fines

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Spendless wrote: »
    Schools can't have it both ways, if every lesson counts, then that includes the ones that should be running next week when England play Wales at football!

That depends how you define a lesson.

The examples you give about going to the park or the museum just take us round the same argument. They are perfectly valid and useful activities but children have 13 weeks of holiday plus weekends to do them so don't need additional time off school.
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Years ago, when a World Cup was on somewhere that the games were early, our school showed them from about 8am in a couple of rooms and shortened tutor group time.

Same here and I don't recall any parents moaning that their children left home early.

The school in question is offering a choice, no one is being forced to watch football or forced home early. If a parent wants their child to go home and watch football with Dad and assorted relatives (all of whom have hopefully asked for time off from their employer;)) then that's a choice too. Parents with children who choose to stay at school and watch football will supervise them when they're in their bedroom during the evening catching up on study.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    maman wrote: »
    That depends how you define a lesson.

The examples you give about going to the park or the museum just take us round the same argument. They are perfectly valid and useful activities but children have 13 weeks of holiday plus weekends to do them so don't need additional time off school.

Same here and I don't recall any parents moaning that their children left home early.

The school in question is offering a choice, no one is being forced to watch football or forced home early. If a parent wants their child to go home and watch football with Dad and assorted relatives (all of whom have hopefully asked for time off from their employer;)) then that's a choice too. Parents with children who choose to stay at school and watch football will supervise them when they're in their bedroom during the evening catching up on study.
    Shouldn't the same apply to school staff wanting to watch the football? They have 13 weeks plus weekends off to go watch sporting fixtures. How is this different to the child who is told they can't go on holiday because parent can't get time off work in school holidays/Gran fell ill during term-time but couldn't be off to visit?

To answer your other questions though, Watching tv with Dad and assorted relatives was hypothetical, DH hasn't booked time off work, though any other relative watching would be retired, so time off is irrelevant.

I could ask to take DD out instead, but my request is likely to be refused or if I take her anyway unauthorised. She will miss a lesson from her timetable and instead do what she does every evening at home. If I take her out for something more educational than what she'd do during this time period at school, why should it be unauthorised? I define a lesson as her actually being taught something.
  • RajaStyle
    RajaStyle Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Militant Mum I have dropped you a pm. Thanks
  • RajaStyle
    RajaStyle Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In our case we have a £60 per child per parent (£240) issue. For us we went for a pilgrimage rather than an holiday which could only be done on set dates due to the period it takes place, hence could not be done in school holidays. In addition to this the attendance was 100% besides the 8 days we had to take our 2 out for this purpose. We discussed it with the Head who initially said it would be ok but then once everything was booked said there will be a fine. No buts made a difference which added to an already tight budgeted trip. He claims pilgrimage doesn't come under special circumstances. Any advice appreciated.
  • pollypenny wrote: »
    As the news piece, as well as The Guardian article, states, the teacher has been suspended, as any teacher doing that will be suspended from his or her job.

It's likely that he would lose his job and possibly even be suspended by the general Teaching Council and find it hard to get any job.

The GTC has been abolished.
  • I don't know either why this done-to-death topic has been resurrected.
    I suspect things were a little flat and some controversy was needed.

It is a shame so much factual inaccuracy goes unchallenged here.

For example "teachers in state schools will go on strike if you ask them to do more"

"The end of term is just dvds and playing".

People seem to think that schools haven't changed since they were pupils. It simply isn't the case.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The GTC has been abolished.

Ok, the Teaching Agency or the EWC in Wales.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RajaStyle wrote: »
    I
    We discussed it with the Head who initially said it would be ok but then once everything was booked said there will be a fine.

In future, get these things in writing before booking.

The Head shouldn't have gone back on his/her decision but it may be that you remember it as a "Yes" while the Head will say it was "Probably but I'll have to check to make sure".
  • I was advised by a travel agent that travelling to New York in early January (school holidays which was when I was originally going to book) was no recommended due to the risk with the weather - snow etc. I booked in early December due this advice. (The trip is now more expensive but safer weather wise). The trip is for my daughters 18th birthday but she is in 6th form the holiday is now in school term time. I have not informed the school yet, as I am concerned about a possible fine. Will I be fined even though my daughter will be 18 while we are away, so she will be an adult by then and technically she does not have to go to school at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure