Loverboy proposed to me last night

Basically loverboy proposed to me via text message and I only saw it this morning.
I don't know how to feel as I thought doing it the traditional way (face to face, eyes to eyes, breath to breath)was the only way for it to be done.
Is proposal via text the new thing now?
How was yours done?
It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun

Comments

• Congratulations!

I've never been proposed to but I personally would be slightly upset if I was... and I don't think its the "new thing" though. Maybe speak to him about it? Face to face.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would be wondering one of two things. How drunk was he or which of his friends had got hold of his phone & done it for a laugh. To avoid embarrassment all round I would just forget it happened until he brings it up.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    delete the text and don't even mention it.

why on earth would you consider someone with no balls.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's just a question and if you want too then reply yes, no big deal.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wil u mary me?
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,951
    Forumite
    Since dumping by text is a thing, I don't see why a proposal by text shouldn't be. It's a simple question that can be framed within the character limit of a text message, after all.

I suppose that asking in person is more likely to be successful with some women, but then you need to consider, do you want a marriage or do you want a Proposal and a Wedding?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Who the hell proposes by text? :eek: Really doesnt sound much of a catch, sorry. :(
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I'd just say "ask me to my face".

If he was drunk, i'd say "ask me when your sober".....not as though that matters in your case.
  • Well I guess there are two probable explanations for that way of doing things:

a. He was too drunk to think straight.
    b. He wasn't drunk - but had had just enough to get up a bit of "dutch courage" to say what he feels nervous about saying in person.

Either way - if I wanted a proposal from him - then I'd probably drop into conversation (ie next time I see him) a semi-jokey comment with a smile on my face about "How much had you had to drink last night? #grin/wink# Don't suppose you remember what you said in a text to me#grinwink#"

.....and wait and see what the reaction is.

If it's sheer blank/"what is she on about?" type reaction - yep...he had had rather a lot to drink.

If it's studying your face closely/looking a bit nervous/grinning a bit - then come up with another semi-jokey comment to effect of "I don't bite you know - if there's anything you want to say to me......" and wait and see whether he then proposes again. Only this time in person...
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,951
    Forumite
    Or, just ask him if you want to be married. Women are allowed to work and vote and everything these days.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure