IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine for wrong location - Can I appeal, or do I ignore?

Hi,

So my wife was driving my car a few months ago and parked in a pub car park (The Fox & Hounds) next to the local train station in Hhrsforth, Leeds. It was £15 to park for the full day which she didn't pay as she had our 3 year old son with her and was running late for the train.

So, she gets a parking ticket on the windscreen and decides to ignore it.

The ticket was issued on the 1/9/16.

I get a naughty letter from Debt Recovery Plus on the 17/11/16, can't remember what it said particularly but I presume it was fairly standard.

Received another letter last week, on the 2/12/16 addressed to me, the registered keeper of the car telling me of intended court action for an unpaid parking charge of £160.

Not sure how they can charge £160 for £15 worth of parking! Anyway, top of the letter it states the following:

Location: Fox and Hounds, Newcastle upon Tyne. Ive googled the address and there is a pub called the fox and hounds in Newcastle, but eagle eyed readers will have spotted that the car was parked in Leeds.

I've read a few things online about the amount of time they have to contact you, the letter states that the 'offence' took place on the 1/9/16 and they first wrote to me on 17/11/16, thats 78 days elapsed.

The letter states that the law has changed and the Supreme Court ruling in November 2015 states the parking charge was lawful.

So, do I ignore it, or do I write to them stating the car wasn't in Newcastle - I have no evidence to support that though!!

Please help, I have until the 16/12/16 to make payment arrangements.

Many thanks

David

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Post four of the Newbies Sticky covers DRP completely. You are too late to challenge the original ticket though, although a landowner cancellation remains a dim possibility. The rest of the thread covers the remaining limited options.

Ignoring stopped being a viable option for most PPCs five years ago.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Which parking company please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    however in your case (you admit) clear signage stating £15 per day , which you stuck 2 fingers up at
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • my wife, not me!
  • The letter is from DRP and the creditor is Local Parking Security.

Do I have a leg to stand on that the ticket is for the wrong location?
  • Don't tell them its Leeds and not Newcastle. If they pursue it to court then you can try to get them to prove she was there. Make sure OH keeps train tickets for proof that not at the site they allege.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Doubt very much she still has the train tickets, then again that technically proves nothing.

I have enough on my plate without being pursued to court. Looks like I'm paying up!!
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • so, technically I don't have a leg to stand on despite the location being wrong. However they don't seem to take people to court. If I continue to ignore what will likely happen?

Is there any chance of me paying a reduced amount rather than the £160? nice early christmas pressie for me!
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    well look at it this way , DRP have added £60 on for sending junk mail ,

"IF" this went to court , you might win on the localion , you might loose HOWEVER

the amount payable is not £160 , its £100!

you would have to pay court fees , dont argue and this might be about £175 ,

HOWEVER

the PPC , will have to pay for a solisitor to come to YOUR local court , (about £200-300) and will not get this money back from you , just the £175 , of ehich he has already forked £50 out in court fees to get you there

do you feel lucky , or are you going to feed those rouges *

* however in this occasion , this is a parking co set up to charge by the hour/day , unlike a supermarket , they have overheads , rates to pay and wages , the signage states the cost per hour , not like a supermarket overstay , so the company should have been paid
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family