energy bill query

Recently received gas and elec bill nearly £700 for 3 months (Nov-Feb 2018). Called them up to query this and found out that I have been on a standard rate since sept 2016 when I should have been on blue plus (all agreed was just an error). I asked the lady to work out what I over paid from back then when my new contract should have started until my last bill (didn't want to inc my current bill as it hadn't been paid yet and would have been part of new contract had I been contacted back in sept 2017 when my 2016 contract would have ended). I received a new bill today saying they had worked out over payments and now deducted this off my current bill so i now only owe £195. The lady said to me prior to working this out that had I been on the blue plus I would have been contacted back in sept last year to renew the blue plus again but because I was on standard they didn't, so my current bill is standard too which the lady said she would put me on blue plus and re work out my current bill too.

What I'm querying is surely the £493 that I over paid shouldnt just be deducted off my current bill of £700 and reduced because my current bill should not have been £700 in the first place, surely I should be given a refund for over payment and then they re work out what my current bill should be for me to pay? To me the energy companies wins all over and I gain nothing?

Please help and explain if I'm wrong

Thank you

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Is the £700 for months based on Actual or Customer readings or has it been Estimated. More often than not, unexpectedly large bills are the result of a customer not providing the supplier with actual meter readings.

As far as your bill is concerned, you are entitled to ask the supplier to revoke the £700 bill and to re-issue you with a bill showing the correct tariff and correct charges. You might also like to mention that as the supplier has admitted an error in its billing systems you also feel that they should consider applying The Back Billing Code to your account. I would be interested to hear what they say.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2018 at 11:30AM
    If you failed to renew your contract then you'd be rolled over onto their standard variable tariff - it's in the T&C's and even the licence conditions. Did you check your bills, on line statements or even junk mail to see what you last bill (Say spet/oct/nov) had to say about the end of your fix. Did you not see what tariff you were on.

It's up to you to keep on top of it as well as the supplier to notify you but if you failed to see it in the bills, statements or it got lost in the junk, then it's not totally their fault. They aren't going to keep reminding you, they'll just roll you over on to the SVT, so you haven't been overpaying.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport