PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it a good time to be a landlord?

Comments

• _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Personally, the only thing that would make BTL attractive to me would be the leverage, albeit if I had the assets to cover the debt. Most other things about it are negatives: tax status, ongoing costs, illiquid, not diversified, and so on.

You may find a property with a decent return, but I would think there are far better alternatives out there if you were planning to purchase a BTL outright with cash.

Learning more about equities and the tax status of various investments (including BTL) would be helpful.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, I'd use an agent to fully manage things. I don't have the time or knowledge to do everything myself.

Letting agents often have little knowledge too. They're just good at sounding like they do.
  • Simon11
    Simon11 Posts: 751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Now is not a good time, particularly if you are in the 40% tax bracket and it will only get worse next year.

The tax increases for landlords, just don't make it worthwhile anymore. I make a profit on my flat, but with the government taking 40% for tax and the remainder to pay off the mortgage (you can only deduct mortgage interest), I'm actually cash poor each year for having the BTL and have to subsidize the flat.
    "No likey no need to hit thanks button!":p
    However its always nice to be thanked if you feel mine and other people's posts here offer great advice:D So hit the button if you likey:rotfl:
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am a landlord and we are doing all right. The properties are all managed by an agent. 3 agents in total for 3 sets of properties in different areas. We didn't buy the cheapest houses in an area. We have more than one property. I did a lot of research before buying to find a gap in the local market.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 5:57PM
    Are you in your "forever home"?
    If not I would not consider entering into the rental sector.
    Moving will attract higher rate stamp duty as you would own an additional property and the duty would almost certainly outweigh any income from the rental for maybe a considerable period of time

I am another who has been down the LA route and now finds it easier to manage without them.
    Look into tenant find only contracts with agents they tend to give you more flexibility going forward especially if you are confident about arranging your own repairs etc.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Think of it as a business, not an investment. If you want to run a business, being a landlord is a gentle introduction. If you just want a return on your capital, I think it's a very poor choice.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Long term your likely to get just as good, or even better returns, from a well managed and diversified stocks and shares portfolio, with none of the hassle involved with being a landlord.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Gwendo40 wrote: »
    Long term your likely to get just as good, or even better returns, from a well managed and diversified stocks and shares portfolio, with none of the hassle involved with being a landlord.
    Absolutely correct, your portfolio won't be ringing you up at midnight on a bank holiday weekend saying the roofs leaking and the CH is bust!
  • NoNoDrama
    NoNoDrama Posts: 237 Forumite
    But as an investment houses are as safe as it gets pretty much. Name me a time in history when prices went down and stayed down? They always recover.

Keep your nerve during recessions.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    But as an investment houses are as safe as it gets pretty much. Name me a time in history when prices went down and stayed down? They always recover.

Keep your nerve during recessions.
    oh LOL. Lets see how CrashyTime replies to that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family