PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• VJs mum you made me laugh!
    On going to uni my DS was thrilled with 100 paper party plates to sit on top of normal plates to save on washing up and a childrens cook book!!!.
    A friend suggested the party plates saying in the first weeks nobody is used to washing up..we also had a 'student' cookbook that had recipes requiring anchovies amoretto biscuits and pitted olives that soon went to CS ..not stuff in average student house
    Since it was our childrens cook book he was happy :)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Re snake, we know it's protected and don't want to hurt it. However what is being described by the vendor as 'compost bin' is what we think is the council's garden waste bin, as we never saw what we'd call a compost bin (where you're trying to make it for using yourself) at the house. If we can't get the snake out, we can't get rid of garden rubbish as it would come to certain harm being tipped into the bin wagon. At the moment, the bin is apparently in the back garden next to the lounge door.......eek!

We may try trundling the bin down the road and across the park where there's some waste ground with water nearby, from memory, and seeing if we can rehome it there. We're going to get some dodgy looks from our new neighbours on this one!

The house has been empty for 18 months and although a small amount of gardening has been done, it's become a bit overgrown, especially around a pond. Could be a whole load more snakes......
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky wrote: »
    Re snake, we know it's protected and don't want to hurt it. However what is being described by the vendor as 'compost bin' is what we think is the council's garden waste bin, as we never saw what we'd call a compost bin (where you're trying to make it for using yourself) at the house. If we can't get the snake out, we can't get rid of garden rubbish as it would come to certain harm being tipped into the bin wagon. At the moment, the bin is apparently in the back garden next to the lounge door.......eek!

We may try trundling the bin down the road and across the park where there's some waste ground with water nearby, from memory, and seeing if we can rehome it there. We're going to get some dodgy looks from our new neighbours on this one!

The house has been empty for 18 months and although a small amount of gardening has been done, it's become a bit overgrown, especially around a pond. Could be a whole load more snakes......

I would suggest gently laying the bin down on its side and slowly pulling the waste out with a lawn rake. Hopefully hissing Sid will slither out himself. I'm pretty sure that grass snakes are harmless and don't bite so hopefully the worst that could happen is both he and you will get a surprise!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Grass snakes are totally harmless - I had one sunbathing in some weeds, I don't know who had the bigger shock, him or me when I accidentally picked him up and threw him in the bucket! I did rescue him though. My dining room furniture saga continues - managed to get DH to remove all the glass shelves, doors and side panels from the cabinet and our neighbour helped him lift the top part onto the floor. I've just got to finish emptying the bottom part and fingers crossed it will be leaving next week. I can then ring the hospice charity to take the table and chairs.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would suggest gently laying the bin down on its side and slowly pulling the waste out with a lawn rake. Hopefully hissing Sid will slither out himself. I'm pretty sure that grass snakes are harmless and don't bite so hopefully the worst that could happen is both he and you will get a surprise!

This is the sort of plan if he's still there (we too are calling him hissing Sid), however I would rather he's not in our garden. For one thing OH is going to be out there with a strimmer trying to tame the garden, strimmers and wildlife are not a good mix.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Slinky - suggest DH stamps heavily on the ground before he strims -. most wildlife will then skedaddle!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This morning I lost it with my kitchen - it's full of so much clutter & the utensils cupboards are so full of carp that half the counter is covered in pans & it's a pain in the neck to clean - so I've spent all day Kondoing it! I now have floor space, organised cupboards & two huge bags of charity shop donations to hand in next week.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kboss :T:T:T

Feel the magic! Well done!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • lots more going tomorrow, to the re-use area at the tip. That will be the fourth car load this week and I mean full to the roof. Result is a tidy and bright outbuilding, took lots of effort but has been worth it. I don`t need to do anything else in there, except eat the stored foods over winter
  • daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Marie Mac what is it you are finding bulky ? I had misinterpreted the instructions and folded my hoodies but they took up such a lot of room in the drawer and annoyed me. I then read either on this thread or the 2016 thread that bulky can be hung. I now have a lovely row of hanging colourful hoodies and a beautifully folded row of denim shirts taking up about a quarter of the drawer space the hoodies used to be in. Joy. Daisy xx

I'm mainly having difficulties with some 3/4 sleeve shirts that are a jersey knit. Kondo folding them makes them about 1.5 inches thick, whereas I normally can get them much thinner by folding in half, tucking the arms over, then in half again. As my dresser only has 3 drawers, only about 12 inches deep and 4 inches tall, I've only been able to put 5 shirts in a row, which fills up the dresser quickly.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that as much I like the one I have, I'm going to need to find something bigger if I want to have a tidy bedroom. As my closet is not designed in a way that makes it particularly accessible, nearly everything gets folded. As least the good news is that I can get rid of some of the cheaper kids furniture in the spare room and put the one from my room in there, as it would be a good size for family when they come to stay for a week or two. That way I get to keep the sentimental piece while finding one that works better for my everyday life. Which seems to fit in with the Kondo philosophy!

kittie wrote: »
    lots more going tomorrow, to the re-use area at the tip. That will be the fourth car load this week and I mean full to the roof. Result is a tidy and bright outbuilding, took lots of effort but has been worth it. I don`t need to do anything else in there, except eat the stored foods over winter

Excellent work Kittie! I bet it feels like such a relief to be finished with the outbuilding and have the weight of all that 'stuff' off your shoulders!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure