Paying £2880 into pension when retired

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,064
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Your understanding of your lump sum payment is incorrect.

You cannot contribute more than your gross salary into all your pensions in any tax year. I assume you currently pay a employee contribution into your NHS pension. So you can only get £16K minus NHS pension contribution into your SIPP. The process is that you actually pay in 80% of this figure and HMRC refund 20% (25% of 80%).

So if your NHS pension contribution/year is £1K you can get £16K-£1K=£15K into a SIPP. You pay in 80% of £15K=£12K and HMRC add in 25% of £12K=£3K giving a total of £15K in your pension.

Your understanding of the £2880 contribution when you aren't working is correct. Though depending on your SIPP provider you may have to wait a year before withdrawing all the money to avoid penalty charges.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,140
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How much have you already contributed to your pension(s) in 2016-17?
  • You are wrong about taking £11000 without being taxed. As you are earning £16000 tax would be due on the entire £11000.

This may differ depending on when you take the £11000 but you have given no specifics as to when that would be and the reference to £11000 presumably relates to the current tax years personal allowance.

From what you have said you would need to wait until 06:04:2018 before £11000 was likely to incur no tax.

By that point however it may be possible to take £12000 and pay no tax if you genuinely have no other income in that tax year (2018:19) as the personal allowance is on an upward trend, £11500 for 2017:18 and more after per Conservative election promises
    So in the case of my wife who has only a state pension worth approx £7500 and a personal allowance next year of £10,000 (£11500-£1500 which she has transferred to me) am I correct in assuming she could take £2500 without paying tax? If she also had savings interest of £1000 per year would that mean she could only take £1500 without paying tax?
  • In your original post you said retiring around August this year.

Do you mean stop working for the NHS on salary of £16000 in August?

If so you will have NHS income of approx £7000 in your next tax year so draw down of £11000 would leave tax due of at least £1300 for the year
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:20PM
    moneyfoolish

Unless earning over £100k you cannot have personal allowance of £10000 next year. Do you mean £10350 (11500 - 1150 marriage allowance)?

I fear you are getting confused over all the different tax rates/bands. If allowance is 10350 due to marriage allowance transfer to you then she can have up that amount in pension/wages with no tax.

She could also have upto £5000 savings interest taxed at the savings rate (0% this tax year and next). This £5000 is reduced if her pension/wages exceed her personal allowance.

After that she could have another £1000 savings interest taxed at 0% (personal savings allowance).

If total income, including all taxable savings interest, is less than £16500 in the forthcoming tax year then it is unlikely your wife will benefit from the personal savings allowance (which is what i guess your reference to £1000 referred to?)
  • moneyfoolish

Unless earning over £100k you cannot have personal allowance of £10000 next year. Do you mean £10350 (11500 - 1150 marriage allowance)?

I fear you are getting confused over all the different tax rates/bands. If allowance is 10350 due to marriage allowance transfer to you then she can have up that amount in pension/wages with no tax.

She could also have upto £5000 savings interest taxed at the savings rate (0% this tax year and next). This £5000 is reduced if her pension/wages exceed her personal allowance.

After that she could have another £1000 savings interest taxed at 0% (personal savings allowance).

If total income, including all taxable savings interest, is less than £16500 in the forthcoming tax year then it is unlikely your wife will benefit from the personal savings allowance (which is what i guess your reference to £1000 referred to?)
    Sorry. I'm a twerp! I got the marriage allowance transfer figure wrong. I had it in my it was £1500 instead of £1150! So, if I follow you correctly and she has no income other than approx £7500 state pension plus £1000 savings interest then she would be able to take £2850 (£10350-£7500) as income without incurring any tax as her savings interest is well under the £5000?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:42PM
    Basically yes.

Pension income would be covered by the remaining personal allowance so no tax due on £10350.

If that was her only pension/wages type income she would have the full savings rate band available so the £1000 savings interest would all be taxable but at a rate of 0% so ultimately no tax to pay (based on 2017:18 allowances and rates).

If pension income (in 2017:18) increased to £15350 plus £1000 savings interest she would have no savings rate band available so would then have to rely on the personal savings allowance rate band (also 0%) so still no tax to pay on the savings interest.
    NB. £1000 tax would be due the pension income in this situation
  • Basically yes.

Pension income would be covered by the remaining personal allowance so no tax due on £10350.

If that was her only pension/wages type income she would have the full savings rate band available so the £1000 savings interest would all be taxable but at a rate of 0% so ultimately no tax to pay (based on 2017:18 allowances and rates)
    Many thanks for all your help on this topic Dazed and confused.
  • hogweed
    hogweed Posts: 134
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry guys, I really am confused – and to make matters worse, I’ve over-simplified a few things in the interests of clarity, but the eagle-eyed amongst you have spotted this, and rightly highlighted inaccuracies.

OK – and thanks, thanks so much for your patience – the situation, as accurately as I can state it, is this:

For the current tax year, I will earn £16000 gross. I don’t know what my pension contributions will have been, nor how to find them out – have you ever tried getting information out of the NHS bureaucracy… so. My net annual salary is £13,200 (sorely tempted to take an opportunity here to rant to anybody who’ll listen about how underpaid I am, but hey – you've heard it all before).

So firstly, I want to invest the maximum allowable into a SIPP for this tax year, and I haven’t much time left, which is why I’m rushing a bit and getting even more confused than usual. Is it safe for me to assume that the net figure on my payslip, ie £1100 a month, £13200pa, is at least near as dammit the maximum figure I can invest for this tax year? Should be net of both tax and pensions contributions, right?

And if so, as soon as the government pay the £3000 or whatever it is in, I can withdraw that again next tax year as a tax-free lump sum, leaving the balance to sit till I need it, after another year or so?

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hogweed wrote: »
    I don’t know what my pension contributions will have been, nor how to find them out – have you ever tried getting information out of the NHS bureaucracy…

Surely you get payslips ? Your pension contributions should be shown as a deduction on them .......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback