How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Comments

• beth222
    beth222 Posts: 15 Forumite
    If hes finding it difficult wouldn't getting a part time job make his situation worse as then he would be stripped of some of the benefits hes getting now if a wage were coming in...
  • Easy for me - I don't work and don't get benefits either.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bunglebus wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the replies - it has made interesting reading. It seems that a lot of you thought I was moaning or expecting more money than we get; I wasn't, I was questioning the system and how it functions.
    I understand what you are saying. You expect the benefit called 'housing benefit' to cover all (or the huge majority) of housing costs, likewise you expect council tax benefit to cover all council tax.

It may well be that once upon a time than these benefits once did. I remember a period of unemployment in the late 90s where I claimed for CT and didn't have to contribute a penny. Over recent years the benefits that once covered these things in full have become less likely to do so.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely you're getting child benefit and tax credits aren't you if your son is at college? Your adult son needs to be paying more if you cannot survive on the money you have now. £30 a week is barely anything.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think the questions arose because OP used to work FT and I assumed supporting his family with his income, and never thought about life on benefits and assumed that it just took over to support them with the same lifestyle. I think a few people working who are clueless as to the ins and out of benefits assume this is the case for previous working and contributing people.

Of course it doesn't work like that or I can imagine even more people would find reasons to stop working and claim benefits. Still, it sounds like OP is not far off it and the reason why his family have to consider some changes is because of his elder son not contributing enough, which is a luxury when there is good earner parent, not when they are on benefits.

Saying that, I agree that teenagers working and contributing is not a concept of people on benefits only. Like many DD is in college, M-F, doing 4 A levels and now works two evenings a week and every Saturday for 10 hours and every other Sunday afternoon. She doesn't contributes towards the house bills, but now pays for her own things.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You moan about the cost of rent. Well the rent will be covering the landlords mortgage , landlord insurance and any repairs needed.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    FBaby wrote: »
    I think the questions arose because OP used to work FT and I assumed supporting his family with his income, and never thought about life on benefits and assumed that it just took over to support them with the same lifestyle. I think a few people working who are clueless as to the ins and out of benefits assume this is the case for previous working and contributing people.

Like the family featured in the media, last year: a wife who never needed to work, three teenagers at boarding school, large country house with huge grounds and ponies, luxury cars , regular restaurant visits, good holidays ..... He had been in highly paid work.

When he lost his job and was stuck in the mid 50s rut, they bemoaned the fact that lots of these would have to go, including the house, the youngest child would have to go to a pleb school and that the wife would need to find a job.

This people lived at the limit of their means , saved very little, then were shocked when meeting reality.
  • mamabuddah
    mamabuddah Posts: 826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Been on these forums for quite a number of years and during that time I've seen many changes, this post highlights the main one I've seen.

There was a time when a post like this would have been full of advice on , basically, how to increase your benefits, there's a palatable swing now that appears to say " you've more income than the working man who has to do all the same things that you do but with less income" it seems the worm has turned, people are now realising the "safety net" is not there to provide an alternative and in no way was it ever designed to make people better off than the working man....just an observation.
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think people don't mind at ALL advising on benefits! However a LOT of the time I see people complaining bitterly about their income and they get more money than me and I work. I don't think people should get more for NOT working than people who do.

ps. Im not saying the OP on this thread was complaining bitterly just pointing out facts
  • simmons
    simmons Posts: 8 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Loz01 wrote: »
    I think people don't mind at ALL advising on benefits! However a LOT of the time I see people complaining bitterly about their income and they get more money than me and I work. I don't think people should get more for NOT working than people who do.

ps. Im not saying the OP on this thread was complaining bitterly just pointing out facts

Sat here at the moment with all of £1.24 to last me till next Thursday, the £146 a fortnight i get as a single man doesnt pay my bills by £60 a month.
    Car has no petrol so cant got to any interviews, have no money for bus fares so ditto, even if i did get a job i cant go, no money.
    Enough food for 5 days meals.
    Worked till in my 50's (just) no debts, no mortgage, and as yet no job.
    Whoever said someone like me can live on that money is deluded.
    So i am gonna have to sit on my a*** until next Thursday when i can hopefully eat or get an interview somewhere.
    So no i don't earn more than a working person not by a bloody long shot.
    Enjoy your dinner tonight won't you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport