18 and need a loan

Hi,

I have recently turned 18 and looking for a loan.

The loan will be between £5,000 and £8,000.

I have 2 questions.
1. Would I get accepted?
2. Where should I go? My current bank or a different bank?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,564
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    what is your income? What sort of credit history have you built up? What commitments do you have?

so many questions need answering before you could get much in response.

Generally when starting out you would find it easier with the bank that knows you best
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • So I earn between £8,00 and £10,000 per year. My credit score is 897 I think?

Is it better to go to the bank my debit card is with or my credit card?
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Credit score is meaningless and tells no one nothing, also only you can see it.

So you want a year-worth of pre-tax salary loan with little to no credit history (I guess as you are 18)? Highly unlikely to happen. What is the loan for?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,564
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    I don't think you are going to get the loan you say you 'need'. Do you really 'need' it or do you actually 'want' something you don't have the money for.

General rule of thumb is that you won't get credit for more than 50% of gross salary.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    When employed age 18 I had my highest disposable income and saved a fortune. I recommend it. Also deciphering effectively between essential needs and expensive wants will serve you well.

1) For that amount probably not.
    2) Start with main bank.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,534
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So I earn between £8,00 and £10,000 per year.

how much do you currently save each month?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why so vague about the amount you want? If it is for something like a car surely you know how much that costs?

If you gave more detailed information you may get a better answer as lenders will often look at the reasons for needing a loan before deciding if they would lend.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What's the purpose for the money ?

Are you living at home, if you are you should have alot saved up.

Can you not save for it ?

As you have just turned 18 you might not get much luck.

Could try your bank but it could be a no.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You haven't said why you require the loan and I know there could be perfectly valid reasons for requiring it, but unless it's a last resort, you should really think twice, it will be a noose around your neck for years to come, and you may look back in hindsight wondering what on earth you have done.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I got credit cards thrown at me left right and centre when I was in my late teens but could never get a loan. I was employed and earning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure