Metered Water - Bill A Bit High

Options
Hello,

I moved in to a detached bungalow in February 2015, previous to moving here I was living in a maisonette where I was on a water meter and paying £25 pm.

I had a meter installed in this property as well, however my first proper bill is £116 (actually £92 with the payment they've just taken out) for 3 months, they are now trying to get me to pay £50 pm.

Now the thing is, I've had two leaks since moving here, I believe both leaks were caused by the council because they started around the time of them doing things in my bathroom, the first leak that was found was under the bathroom sink which was boarded in, I'm not sure how long it had been leaking but it was long enough for it to rot the wood around the pipes and for it to spread to the corner of my bedroom and across the bathroom, it then went out to the exterior wall. The second leak was from the toilet cistern, again this was closed in with wood, we noticed it because again it started to go through to the exterior wall.

Can these leaks have a big affect on my bill? I've never had bill this big just for three months.

I did contact Severn Trent twice who said to take another meter reading in 2 - 3 weeks and that they will reassess the monthly payments.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this kind of problem?

I'm on disability so cannot really afford to pay £50 pm.

I'm posting because I'm a little bit worried, I suffer with both mental and physical health problems.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about some dates and readings and we can work out whether it's reasonable or not.

Severn Trent charge for surface water drainage.

A maisonette would have cost £33.08 per year but a detached house would cost £80.70 per year just for surface water drainage.

If you can't afford a monthly direct debit of £50 then cancel it and pay what you can afford by standing order. As long as they get something they should not take further collection action. They can not cut or restrict your water supply.

I'd pay £30 by standing order which should clear the outstanding balance by the time the next bill comes then I'd divide that bill by 3 and change the standing order to that amount.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Kerrie74
    Kerrie74 Posts: 64 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I'll see if I can post a screenshot of my bill so you can see what I was charged for. I'm convinced that it's not correct and Severn Trent seem to think it's because of these leaks I had. There is no way I would use that much water in three months.

Also when I asked how much it would cost if I came off the meter they said £381 per year, which worked out at around £31 pm which is less... lol.

I'm convinced it was the two leaks I had, as they were bad enough to leak to the outside of the property as well.

35644663-7d33-40a1-8258-bd3384b18a8b.png
  • Kerrie74
    edited 19 July 2015 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Not sure if you'll be able to see the bill?

You might also notice that one of the readings is estimated, don't know why, they never asked me for a reading.

Also the meter was installed in February 2015, they are trying to say my bill is £116 from 1st of April to the 17th of July.. not a chance. Plus the yearly bill wouldn't be cheaper than the meter, not from my experience anyway.

I'll be giving them another reading in 2 - 3 weeks so I'll know more then. If it does turn out to be more then I'll just have to have the meter taken out, but I've never heard of a meter costing more than a normal yearly bill.

One other thing, they are saying that part of the reason they want £48 pm is because I now owe what's on the bill. So if I paid that off they have said it would reduce the payments as well. So I'll be doing that before the end of August, I actually owe £92 when the £25 that was taken out of my account is taken off the amount.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Kerrie74 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I'll see if I can post a screenshot of my bill so you can see what I was charged for. I'm convinced that it's not correct and Severn Trent seem to think it's because of these leaks I had. There is no way I would use that much water in three months.

Also when I asked how much it would cost if I came off the meter they said £381 per year, which worked out at around £31 pm which is less... lol.

I'm convinced it was the two leaks I had, as they were bad enough to leak to the outside of the property as well.

You have used 58 cubic metres(m3) in the period 17 Feb to 17 July 2015. and is for 5 months not 3 months as you state. The estimated reading of 14 cubic metres is only for the price change on 01 April. i.e 14m3 prior to 01 April and 44m3 after 01 April.

As stated above you are paying for Surface Water drainage which for a detached property is £80.70 pa and you need to see if you can claim relief from that charge - see several threads on Surface Water Drainage.

58 m3 in 5months(17/2 to 17/7/15 equates to approx. 139m3 pa which is above average for a couple, but below average for 3 people.

The leak under the bath is not likely to cause high consumption, but it is possible the toilet leak could have wasted a lot of water.

P.S I would edit your post and delete your address
  • Kerrie74
    edited 20 July 2015 at 8:52AM
    Options
    You have used 58 cubic metres(m3) in the period 17 Feb to 17 July 2015. and is for 5 months not 3 months as you state. The estimated reading of 14 cubic metres is only for the price change on 01 April. i.e 14m3 prior to 01 April and 44m3 after 01 April.

Can I say anything to them about the fact it was estimated or should I just leave that?

As stated above you are paying for Surface Water drainage which for a detached property is £80.70 pa and you need to see if you can claim relief from that charge - see several threads on Surface Water Drainage.

Ok thank you, will do.

58 m3 in 5months(17/2 to 17/7/15 equates to approx. 139m3 pa which is above average for a couple, but below average for 3 people.

A couple? It's me and my son :P but yes that's what I'm trying to say, in the previous property it did go up from £11 to £25 but I did start using more water so I didn't mind because it was still less than the yearly bill, but I am using the same water here as I did in that property, I am doing nothing different here.

The leak under the bath is not likely to cause high consumption, but it is possible the toilet leak could have wasted a lot of water.

Oh it wasn't a leak under the bath, we don't have one, we have a shower! It was a constant leak from the taps (not from the taps, from the pipes below them, if that makes sense?) in the bathroom, basically my pipes under the sink are panelled in and I believe when a plumber came to tighten the water tap he accidentally loosened the pipe behind the panelling, I believe it would have caused the bill to be higher because as I explained it was bad enough to rot the wood and spread across the bathroom, into the corner of my room then out through the exterior wall, same as the toilet leak as well. When I explained this to ST they both customer service members said it was probably the leaks that had caused the higher than usual bill

Thanks!!! I didn't realise! I've now deleted that one and changed it to one with the address blacked out!

One other thing, I believe both leaks were caused by the council plumbers, as I said first happened when a tap was tightened, the second happened when the plumber did something to the handle on the cistern, the pipe that leaked was also panelled in, not only that when the last plumber came out the overflow started pouring with water, I had to run in a flush the chain which stopped it, he claimed there was something wrong and was meant to report it, I don't think he bothered as we've heard nothing back since.. the over flow is fine though lol. Would I be able to complain to the council about it?
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Can I say anything to them about the fact it was estimated or should I just leave that?

Ok thank you, will do.

A couple? It's me and my son :P but yes that's what I'm trying to say, in the previous property it did go up from £11 to £25 but I did start using more water so I didn't mind because it was still less than the yearly bill, but I am using the same water here as I did in that property, I am doing nothing different here.

Oh it wasn't a leak under the bath, we don't have one, we have a shower! It was a constant leak from the taps (not from the taps, from the pipes below them, if that makes sense?) in the bathroom, basically my pipes under the sink are panelled in and I believe when a plumber came to tighten the water tap he accidentally loosened the pipe behind the panelling, I believe it would have caused the bill to be higher because as I explained it was bad enough to rot the wood and spread across the bathroom, into the corner of my room then out through the exterior wall, same as the toilet leak as well. When I explained this to ST they both customer service members said it was probably the leaks that had caused the higher than usual bill

Thanks!!! I didn't realise! I've now deleted that one and changed it to one with the address blacked out!

One other thing, I believe both leaks were caused by the council plumbers, as I said first happened when a tap was tightened, the second happened when the plumber did something to the handle on the cistern, the pipe that leaked was also panelled in, not only that when the last plumber came out the overflow started pouring with water, I had to run in a flush the chain which stopped it, he claimed there was something wrong and was meant to report it, I don't think he bothered as we've heard nothing back since.. the over flow is fine though lol. Would I be able to complain to the council about it?

when you have closed all water taps , check the water meter reading over a 4 hour period & if the meter clock as moved , then you have a leak.
  • Kerrie74
    Options
    I don't have leaks now :D They were fixed but they happened during the dates of my last water bill. However I will remember that for the next time thanks :) I hope there isn't a next time, but it has made me slightly paranoid.
  • milla
    milla Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 July 2015 at 9:50AM
    Options
    I had a leak last year (my own fault ) . I am with United Utilities and they very generously gave me a leakage allowance . I think with UU it is a one off thing. I have had a quick look and I think Severn Trent may do the same thing .

http://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supplies/my-responsibility-for-pipes-leaks-and-drains/leaks-and-bill-allowances/leakage-allowance-claim-form?stop_mobi=yes

I suggest that you ring them and ask
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 July 2015 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Not sure if you'll be able to see the bill?

You might also notice that one of the readings is estimated, don't know why, they never asked me for a reading.

Also the meter was installed in February 2015, they are trying to say my bill is £116 from 1st of April to the 17th of July.. not a chance. Plus the yearly bill wouldn't be cheaper than the meter, not from my experience anyway.

I'll be giving them another reading in 2 - 3 weeks so I'll know more then. If it does turn out to be more then I'll just have to have the meter taken out, but I've never heard of a meter costing more than a normal yearly bill.

One other thing, they are saying that part of the reason they want £48 pm is because I now owe what's on the bill. So if I paid that off they have said it would reduce the payments as well. So I'll be doing that before the end of August, I actually owe £92 when the £25 that was taken out of my account is taken off the amount.

You can't get the meter taken out. You can't switch suppliers. You can't change tariffs. Your only option to save money is to reduce water usage. A metered property can cost quite a bit more than a bill based on rateable value. Some houses have a ridiculously low RV and that generates a very small unrealistic bill.

Don't worry about what they want as you said it should be £31 per month on RV billing so cancel the direct debit and make a standing order for £31 per month. You could add maybe £1 per month to clear the arrears. They will not do anything further as long as you not getting further into debt. You can save on a meter...you won't save much but you can save.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

The estimated reading isn't a problem, we all get an estimate on 01 April when prices change -as I posted earlier.
    The estimated reading of 14 cubic metres is only for the price change on 01 April. i.e 14m3 prior to 01 April and 44m3 after 01 April.

For two people the consumption is high for the last 5 months. It is impossible retrospectively to know if the leaks had a significant effect on that consumption. However if you monitor your consumption from 17 July(as there are now no leaks) for a couple of months you should get an idea of 'normal' consumption
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure