Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dedre
    • By Dedre 13th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Dedre
    Employer missed month of pension payments
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    Employer missed month of pension payments 13th Feb 18 at 11:23 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is best in this forum or the pension one but felt like it was best for this one so here goes...

I work for a multi national company who offer a group work based pension. I pay in 6% they pay in another 6% so 12% overall. Pretty good deal and one of main benefits of the job.

Recently they've changed our pay date from middle of the month to end of the month which means everyone has to wait another 2 weeks to get paid. Bit of a pain but I managed to move direct debit around and deal with the cash flow issue.

I track my pension via the providers website and previously monthly payments would go in to my pension pot 2 working days after pay day. When the pay date was moved (January this year) I was expecting pension to go in as usual but 2 days after the revised payday. However this hasn't happened and its now nearly 2 months since the last pension payment went in so even if it goes in tomorrow I still feel as though I've missed out on a month's pension. I am planning to raise the issue with HR / payroll but wondered if anyone else has has similar issues and has any advice?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • PeppaCoin
    • By PeppaCoin 13th Feb 18, 11:31 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    PeppaCoin
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:31 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:31 PM
    And was it shown as a deduction on your payslip? It just sounds like human error. Just ask them. No-one on here can advise any different
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    There is a length of time (or there used to be, I'm a bit out of date) that they have legally to pay it over. I don't think you have reached that yet, but someone will be along to confirm soon I'm sure. If you don't get the answer soon try posting on the pensions forum.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 14th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    It's not unusual for this to happen. My employer never paid a single payment into my pension pot until I realised when I wasn't getting any statements. Turns out, they'd never contributed or forwarded on my payments. Took the money every month from my paycheck but did not forward it on to the company. This had been going on years. They were happy to back date (which was important as I joined in time to retire at 60, not 65), but it was a little worrying.
    • KingOfTheDaves
    • By KingOfTheDaves 14th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    KingOfTheDaves
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    I track my pension via the providers website and previously monthly payments would go in to my pension pot 2 working days after pay day. When the pay date was moved (January this year) I was expecting pension to go in as usual but 2 days after the revised payday. However this hasn't happened and its now nearly 2 months since the last pension payment went in so even if it goes in tomorrow I still feel as though I've missed out on a month's pension. I am planning to raise the issue with HR / payroll but wondered if anyone else has has similar issues and has any advice?
    Originally posted by Dedre

Your paydate doesn't have anything to do with when your pension contributions are made.

Pension contributions have to be sent to the pension scheme by the 19th of the month after the contributions were applicable (eg January's contributions need to be sent to the pension scheme by the 19th February).

Having said that you should still check out why you had no contribution paid in mid January as these relate to December.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,565Posts Today

5,616Users online

Martin's Twitter