Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NannaJ
    • By NannaJ 7th Feb 18, 12:58 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NannaJ
    NHS pension
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:58 AM
    NHS pension 7th Feb 18 at 12:58 AM
    Would I have made contributions to a NHS pension from 1985-2000, when I worked part time?
Page 1
    • HappyHarry
    • By HappyHarry 7th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    HappyHarry
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    Probably, but no one here will know for sure.

Call the NHS pensions team, with your NI number to hand, and they will be able to tell you.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/members-contact-us
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
    • NannaJ
    • By NannaJ 7th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NannaJ
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    Happy Harry
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    Thank you.
    I have contacted them and they say that they cannot find any contributions before 1992, which seems odd to me.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 8th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    hyubh
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    I have contacted them and they say that they cannot find any contributions before 1992, which seems odd to me.
    Originally posted by NannaJ
    I haven't looked up historic NHS scheme rules specifically, but in general part timers were not traditionally eligible for final salary schemes (including public sector ones) until a European ruling in the early 90s changed covering legislation to force them to be.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 8th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    RADDERS
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    I worked part time in the late 80 s and early 90 s and remember not being allowed to join the pension scheme unless you were full time.

When the EU regulations came in the company we worked for offered us to either make the payments for the missed years when part time or you could have an amount of compensation

At the time I never envisaged working for the company for any length of time so took the money, 25 years later I realised the error that I had made
    • andy001
    • By andy001 18th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    andy001
    • 18th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 18th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    If I!!!8217;m right: The enrolment in NHS pension was not compulsory then hence you may not have been in the scheme unless you asked to join !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

8,633Users online

Martin's Twitter