Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,530Posts
    • 5,301Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 3
    • Peabody
    • By Peabody 6th Feb 17, 11:22 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Peabody
    Just having a catch up

So glad that there is someone else out there who get's overwhelmed by house work! I swear mine fights back had a bit of a melt down last week over it. But I'd forgotten about fly lady (although I still shine my sink )

But it sounds like you're getting a handle on everything, and there is only so much one person can do after all
    Total at 9th Feb 12 - £17,500 Now - £6,851.05
    Loan - £6022.05, Card 1 - £3293.85, Card 2 - £2287.04, Sofa - £825.00
    Wedding Pot - £0.00
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow, you are so organised! Well done on everything so far.

I have the same problem with housework, just not enough time! I managed to have a wardrobe sort out & ebay listing session only because I took a day of annual leave to supervise a boiler inspection but I do not want to have to use my vacation time to tidy my house! I've heard good things about the Apartment Therapy January Cure for breaking down into really small daily tasks, I think that the challenge is archived on the website so I will be looking into that this month.
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    Oh that looks good GC, I've bookmarked that and I'm going to take a look at lunchtime to see if I can work out a plan. I will strike a balance!

Small daily tasks would work well for me - 15-30 minutes on top of normal daily stuff I could just about manage and I think there's a lot can be achieved in that timeframe.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Just having a catch up

So glad that there is someone else out there who get's overwhelmed by house work! I swear mine fights back had a bit of a melt down last week over it. But I'd forgotten about fly lady (although I still shine my sink )

But it sounds like you're getting a handle on everything, and there is only so much one person can do after all
    Originally posted by Peabody
    I have fairly frequent meltdowns about housework so you're not alone!

I'm not sure I have a handle on everything yet, but I have good intentions so with some clarity of mind, some Flylady (or other) advice and a list, I'm sure I'll make it!

• Peabody
    • By Peabody 6th Feb 17, 11:34 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Peabody
    I have fairly frequent meltdowns about housework so you're not alone!

I'm not sure I have a handle on everything yet, but I have good intentions so with some clarity of mind, some Flylady (or other) advice and a list, I'm sure I'll make it!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    That's all you need, swiftly learning that it's all about attitude and determination and you seem to have loads of both.

Going back to the 30 mins thing, I did that in the kitchen last night, waiting for my stew to finish cooking and got loads done. Going to try it again tonight and see what happens
    Wedding Pot - £0.00
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sounds good Peabody - let me know how you get on! I need all the motivation that I can get!

Tonight, my husband should be home early which means he can get dinner on and we can sit down as soon as I get home with the kids. We can put the kids to bed about 7pm and then my plan is to leave the washing up and prep for tomorrow's dinner to him and I'll put a load of washing on then clean and hoover the WC. That should take 20 minutes tops for both of us to complete that then we can collapse in a heap together and chill in front of the TV feeling like we've achieved something.

Money-wise
    Child benefit went in today and a couple of DDs came out, which I was anticipating so I've marked them off on my spreadsheet as paid.

I'm having a NSD today! I have my lunch and snacks with me at work, my fuel tank is full and my fridge and cupboards are prepped to service my meal plan this week. Fingers crossed everything stays on target as it is so far.

I had a look at my projection for the rest of the month - I mentioned earlier that I only transferred part of our spends (£250) at the beginning of the month because it was the first month and I hadn't yet had a true measure of the whole month. I had planned to transfer the remaining £320 to our account on 21st when husband gets paid, but I just realised that:

1. We only actually have £60 left rather than the £90 I'd worked out yesterday (miscalculated)
    2. The end of the month is 28th so it's a short month
    3. If i wanted until 21st, we'd have £320 to live off for a week and £60 for the next two... not quite right!

SO! I've decided to transfer the remaining £320 to our spending account tomorrow when my husband gets paid. The budget can take it, we don't have any other big bills coming out until the end of the month and my husband still has two more weekly pays before then which will build up a nice buffer for the end of the month chaos of direct debits! I get paid on 28th too so i think my new plan is a bit more balanced. These spends are for grocery shopping, fuel and day to day living so i plan on seeing how we get on this month and perhaps make an adjustment next month if possible.

Looking at this and making this tweak to my plan this morning, it's made me realise that before I'd have just kept spending thinking we had money there and then praying that my wages go in on time to cover the bills. It's a horrible way to live and I'm so glad I can now project, see what's coming in and out (and when) and figure out what we need.

I'm hoping that I'll have some money left over in the spending account at the end of the month and was wondering what to do with it. I initially thought about paying it straight into a CC but we have quite an expensive April so in the essence of keeping on track and planning ahead, I think I might just let it build up in there so we have a buffer for higher spend months.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 6th Feb 17, 12:50 PM
    • 7,195 Posts
    • 35,124 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Saw you on some other threads (DIA?)...any popped by. Have subscribed and will be popping in to see how you're faring. Looks like you will have this sorted in no time

Dodgy, poor, 'un-insightful' financial decisions...after poor financial decisions...I have some history there too!!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 28.02.18 xx/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for Feb xx/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target 2018 xx/£500 NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 6th Feb 17, 1:01 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Have just read through and really impressed with your plans. Very jealous of your spreadsheets I just can't get my head around one that works for me!! Oh well will eventually find a system but until then I have subscribed to follow your progress
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Saw you on some other threads (DIA?)...any popped by. Have subscribed and will be popping in to see how you're faring. Looks like you will have this sorted in no time

Dodgy, poor, 'un-insightful' financial decisions...after poor financial decisions...I have some history there too!!
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    That'll be me - I quite enjoy DIA's diary so I've been on there a fair bit. Thanks for popping by!

Ha at least I'm not alone! No more though, Brizzledfw! We will make these decisions no more!

I think mine will probably be a fairly long-term strategy to get debt free but in the interim, getting a handle on my finances and making the coordination of finances a good and regular habit will be progress enough for me. Do you have a diary?

Have just read through and really impressed with your plans. Very jealous of your spreadsheets I just can't get my head around one that works for me!! Oh well will eventually find a system but until then I have subscribed to follow your progress
    Originally posted by ChasingSunshine
    Thank you ChasingSunshing. I've been using the same spreadsheet set up for quite a long time but in January I made some tweaks to it and put it on Google Drive so that I can access it from anywhere which makes it much more accessible and manageable. It's working well for now but it's a constant work in progress so we'll see where it takes me. Thanks for stopping by - I really do appreciate the input and encouragement!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Feb 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Didnít spend a penny yesterday which Iím really pleased about! A little NSD under my belt. I have had quite a few over the last month but just not really acknowledged them much but I think I should. Every one is a step towards less spending, more debt-busting and saving so they should be celebrated.

Last night, despite being exhausted and my kids playing up, I managed to stick to my housekeeping goals for last night.
    1 . Husband did the dishes, chopped up all the fruit to take to work and cleared the kitchen surfaces
    2. I filled and prepped the washing machine (switched it on this morning on timer before work) and cleaned the downstairs loo, tidied away all the toys and books that the boys had pulled out and put some clothes away

I didnít hoover the WC as the kids were still trying to get to sleep so thatíll be done when Iím hoovering the downstairs hall just to finish that off. It doesnít sound like much but I was pleased to make a little bit of progress. We still managed to sit down about 8.30 for a couple of hours of chilling out.

Tonight I had planned to clean and hoover the living room but weíre instead going to visit husbandís aunt and uncle tonight so thereíll be no time for any housework other than hanging the washing up and doing the dishes.

I wonít be spending any money today either Ė another NSD Ė which Iím delighted about.

Waiting on husband being paid today before transferring the rest of the budgeted cash into our spending account - £320. I really hope he gets paid today and itís not late again! The last two months have been two days late so if itís late again Iím going to be seriously peed off. Husbandís colleague got a £25 charge last week because his mortgage bounced but he isnít saying anything to the boss because he doesnít want to Ďrock the boatí. Iíd be SO MAD!

Anyway, should be a quiet few days over here as thereís just a couple of DDs coming out here and there.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Feb 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,064 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Iíve just read your diary and hats off to you. You are super organised and have a positive mental attitude too. I think those 2 things alone will get you through. I tend to fluctuate on those, so Iíve subscribed to your diary and maybe some of your PMA will rub off on me.

I hope you get to have more frequent date nights. The tapas sounds fun
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=1,670
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Feb 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks DIA - your diary is an interesting read for me too. I'm in the creative industry too (although more marketing/comms than design) so when you talk about having creative block, it really resonates! I tend to beat myself up when I'm not quite on my A-game at work but you can't be creative 100% of the time!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to our tapas - we haven't booked it yet. I'll probably wait until V-Day is out of the way and get it booked. It's nice to remember who I am that's not a stressed Comms Manager or a stressed mum!

I'm glad you think I have a PMA - i don't always feel that way but I at least always try to drag myself back there. There's nothing else for it!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Feb 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    A deflated day
    I have no idea why, but I'm feeling a bit deflated today. I'm going to have a little moan and hope that it'll help me pick up my attitude and continue with some positivity.

Good things
    • Current Account: I've got a Santander 123 account whihc i get cashback on bills with but I only realised today that there's a Santander 123 Lite account which gives you exactly the same benefits (except the 1.5% interest up to £20k) for less of a monthly fee. As I'm in my overdraft and will be for the next wee while until I pay myself out of it, I thought 'why the hell am I paying £5 per month to use £1 per month benefits??'. So I called up Santander and they've switched me to the Lite account, saving me £4 per month. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but better in my pocket. And when I have a nice tidy positive balance in my current account, i'll switch it back when the interest and cash back outweigh the £5 per month fee.
    • Work clothes tax back: A couple of weeks ago I applied through HMRC for the tax reclaim for uniforms. My husband has always had to wash his logo'd work uniform and buy himself work trousers, steel-toe boots, gloves, tools etc at his own expense. He got a letter in today from HMRC saying that he's owed £90.31 in back tax for the last 5 years based on these claims so we should get that paid into our account within 14 days. A little extra towards our remortgaging fees which will be due in a few weeks.
    • NSDs: I had a no spend day yesterday and am currently on target for another today, as I don't need anything from the shops, my tank is full and we aren't going anywhere!

Not so good things
    • My husband is installing an alarm for a friend and his friend asked him to buy it to make sure he got the right thing and he'd transfer the money over. He bought the alarm (£338) last night and as of 20 minutes ago, the friend still hasn't transferred the money. He paid out of our spends account and although there's still £24 in there and we don't actually need anything right now, it makes me feel uneasy to know that the account is almost empty. I'm just glad it's not been taken out of our bills account because i'd be stressed then! No idea why I'm feeling like this because I know he'll just have forgotten and be busy at work now but I don't like the account being owed.
    • I applied for a £9k loan (I'm sure I've posted about this on here before) to cover the loan that my parents took out two years ago to help us move). We've been paying it off at 6% interest with 32 months to go but I've taken it out over 24 months with 2.9% interest increasing the payments by £80 per month but saving on interest and clearing it off quicker. I was excited about this yesterday but they said they'd email me and I'd get stuff through in the post but I haven't heard a peep on email and it makes me wonder what's happening with it.
    • I spent a lot of time and effort doing something for work over the last week and submitted it to an editor this morning and got a raft of critique back. It's not necessarily bad and I know that it's all for the greater good but I feel massively deflated and have little motivation to turn it around and make it work. I'm taking it way too personaly (and I know that I'm prone to that!) but I just can't seem to shake it.
    • My house still feels like a tip: I have done two loads of washing and hung them up, put some clothes away, done dishes and put them away, changed both kids' beds and hoovered half of the downstairs, but it's just never enough. I look around and just see what else I need to do but I just can't seem to fit it all in. My goals are realistic but it seems like there's barriers in the way all the time.
    • Sickness: My colleague came into work last week even though she had a dodgy tummy and I said she shouldn't be in if she wasn't well. Fast forward to last night and I had the most horrendous dicky tummy which has carried into today. I'm working from home but struggling with motivation for anything and have a trillion things to do.

To sum up:
    After reading that back, it appears that I'm tired and sick and have too much on my plate which is affecting my moods. Entirely reasonable, I'm sure, but I just don't want to let it consume me. Wish I could snap out of it but it's hard when I'm feeling this way. Off to see if I can grab some motivation to fix the work thing as I think this is at the root of my low feeling

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Feb 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Well today hasn't got much better, unfortunately.

Bad behaviour
    DS1 (4) has been playing up at nursery this week, having to be told off lots and sit out a few times for not listening, not doing as he is told and calling kids names. It's really unlike him and the only thing I can tie it to is tiredness from a super busy weekend and the fact that he picked his glasses at the weekend, is getting them this weekend and is feeling a bit anxious about the whole thing. I have no idea what to do with him as no amount of talking/ consequences seem to be making any difference. I realise we're only three days in but it's frustrating as he's good as gold at home.

Yet more illness
    So after my flu a fortnight ago and a horrid tummy bug that I'm just beginning to get rid of, my youngest (18m) has his third ear infection in two months. Rubbish sleep last night, really unsettled tonight and just generally grumpy (no wonder) so that's another thing to deal with.

Putting on big girl pants
    I pulled myself together after the work blip earlier, emailed the editor for some pointers and have done some research so I feel a bit better about getting stuck into take-two tomorrow. It's just a bit of a confidence knock but I just need to ride it out and put on my big girl pants.

Second mortgage covered
    Our new tenants moved in on Monday to our flat and paid five months rent up front, so that came in today, tucked away nicely in a separate account so that's a weight off knowing that the next five months are covered. Let's just hope that they decide to stay on longer-term because changing tenants and paying the shortfall in between really does scupper our savings and debt-busting. Four months of paying two mortgages is no fun at all!!

This evening, I'm going to chill out, re-hydrate after a day of dodgy tummy and get to bed early tonight so that I can be on my A-game tomorrow to get this work stuff done.

Nothing else to report other than husband's friend still not having paid us. He probably thinks 'it's only 24 hours since I said I'd transfer the cash' but it's so frustrating for me! At least he got paid on time this week from his work.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    • 7,195 Posts
    • 35,124 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hey..cut yourself some slack You are ill, kids are ill, work is not straightforward..friends are failing to appreciate that an immediate bank transfer means a faster payment not when they get paid etc etc...its not surprising you have had a less than great day.

Hope you can recharge at the weekend and well done for battling on. Big girl pants are the weapon of choice for me too..frequently
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 28.02.18 xx/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for Feb xx/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target 2018 xx/£500 NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Feb 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,064 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your husband's friend probably has no idea what stress he is causing. People can be thoughtless

Well done in facing up to work and doing the research required straightaway.

Your plan for an early night makes good sense. You are doing great. Truly. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

Take care
    DIA x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=1,670
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 8th Feb 17, 9:21 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,765 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Jo

Sorry things are difficult at the moment with illnesss and poorly kids. Hope the money will be sent to you soon.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Feb 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks brizzledfw - I do need to cut myself some slack but I fear it won't make me feel any better. Not sure what will, though, so just need to ride it out.

No rest for the wicked - my husband is working Friday night and 14 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday so I'll be on my own with the kids all weekend which is hard going the ages they're at. I think we'll try to at least have a quiet afternoon on Sunday and early nights.

Gah! It could be worse.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Feb 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi Jo

Sorry things are difficult at the moment with illnesss and poorly kids. Hope the money will be sent to you soon.

Bob
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Your husband's friend probably has no idea what stress he is causing. People can be thoughtless

Well done in facing up to work and doing the research required straightaway.

Your plan for an early night makes good sense. You are doing great. Truly. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

Take care
    DIA x
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you both - your kind words really do put a smile on my face. I'm sure things will look better in the morning, it does help to vent.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Feb 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Today will be a good day!
    Today will be a good day! This is my mantra...repeat...repeat...

After a good sleep last night and a chat with my husband I do feel a lot better today, although all the things that were stressing me still exist so it's simmering under the surface.

I'm working from home today so my plan of action is:

9.30 - 12: Work like a beast to get this article turned around
    12 - 1: Get some lunch, watch home and away (guilty pleasure!) then spend last 20 minutes doing housework
    1 - 3: Work, work, work
    3 - 3.30: Half an hour free to get some more housework tackled while I can
    3.30 - 5: work
    5: pick up the kids from nursery early to have some quality time before dinner, bath and bed!

If I can keep to the above structure, I should feel like I'm achieving things both at work and in the house, so that might help with feeling this way. NO DISTRACTIONS!

In good news
    Husband's HMRC rebate came through so another £90.11 was added to our savings account where we're saving for remortgage costs. The total is now £1050.35 and we are aiming for around £1400 to make sure we have enough to cover everything so almost there.

After that, we can move on to saving for MIL's 60th weekend away, two nights in Cardiff in July, sister's wedding, hen do, stag do and Thailand trip... while still trying to pay off some debt!

Once this first full month is complete, I'll have a better idea of what kind of funds I can allocate to debt and how much to savings, making sure the amount I allocate to spending account is enough for what we need. At the moment, I've got:

- £300 per month into savings pot (to cover planned expenditure this year, as above)
    - £60 to Virgin CC on 0%
    - £50 to Santander CC (paying double minimum payment and interest is only £1.53p/m)
    - £294.99 to loan (this might be going up depending on if I take this new loan out)
    - £0 to MIL (£120 outstanding)
    - £0 to husband's uncle (£700 outstanding)

When husband gets paid from the big job that he's doing this weekend, we should be able to pay off husband's uncle completely and put whatever is left into our savings account (maybe £100-200?).

Not so good things
    After moaning last night that I hadn't heard from Sainsbury's about the loan that I'd applied for to clear the other loan and reduce the interest rate, I got an email from them. It stated that I was approved for the loan but not at the advertised rate, but it didn't tell me what the rate was. I need to wait for the paperwork to come in so once I have that, i'll see if it's even worth my while doing this. It might be better off for me to overpay the loan that we have already to bring the term down and reduce interest that way. I hate when banks don't give you the advertised rate! Despite our debts, we have a good credit history and rating, so I can't think why we wouldn't qualify . Humph.

They have now emailed asking for further information and I need to give them a call to discuss... starting to think this is more hassle than it's worth.

• Peabody
    • By Peabody 9th Feb 17, 10:40 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Peabody
    I had that with my 0% credit card, they were advertising 42 months interest free, but only gave me 18. Better than nothing so I went with.

Love the housing work plan! I do something similar when I'm working from home makes me feel like I've achieved something.
    Wedding Pot - £0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

794Posts Today

6,626Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EssexHebridean: I?ve been an active member of the MSE forums for nearly 10 years now. It?s helped us to clear all debt including paying?

• RT @Ski308: @MartinSLewis @MoneySavingExp Been trying to work out how much I?ve saved due to the site. Must be well over £2,000 with everyt?

• Happy Birthday MoneySavingExpert - 15 years old today. It's come a long way, and I hope helped many people. Here'? https://t.co/fE1MqiDdQZ

• Follow Martin