Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thozza
    • By thozza 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    • 219Posts
    • 178Thanks
    thozza
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk
    • 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk 7th Dec 14 at 1:10 PM
    There are threads about the prices of most off-grid energy sources on MSE, but I cannot find one about biomass wood pellets, so I thought that I would share my findings.

The below prices are for 10kg or 15kg bagged pellets on a pallet, and are either published internet prices, or phone quotes, prices include VAT at 5%. All are ENplus A1 certified -

http://www.pelletcouncil.org.uk/consumer-information/bagged-pellets

I was surprised how much variation there is between suppliers of bagged pellets and needless to say that my latest delivery has been from Plumb Center. Price per Kw based on 4.8Kw/kg

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 880kg
    Price per pallet - £199.50
    Price per tonne - £226.70

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0472

http://www.forever-fuels.com/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - £240.00
    Price per tonne - £244.90

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0510

http://www.land-energy.com/wood-pellets/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - £246.00
    Price per tonne - £246.00
    Price per Kilowatt - £0.0513

http://www.brites.eu/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - £252.00
    Price per tonne - £252.00

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0525

http://www.woodpellets2u/
    Source - CPL Homefire (Verdo?)
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - £249.90
    Price per tonne - £255.00

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0531

http://www.biomassfuel.supplies/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - £244.95
    Price per tonne - £255.16

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0532

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - £259.00
    Price per tonne - £264.29

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0551

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - £268.00
    Price per tonne - £274.87

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0573

http://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - £269.00
    Price per tonne - £280.21

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0584

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - £269.00
    Price per tonne - £280.21

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0584

http://cjtimber.com/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 1005kg
    Price per pallet - £297.08
    Price per tonne - £295.60

Price per Kilowatt - £0.0616

I understand that bulk prices are lower, hopefully others will be able to add some bulk prices for comparison.
    Last edited by thozza; 07-12-2014 at 1:37 PM.
Page 3
    • thozza
    • By thozza 20th Sep 15, 11:39 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    New UK based supplier of pellets
    A newly listed manufacturer of pellets, based in Thetford, registered as an ENplus A1 producer and with BSL

Equestrobed Limited
    Thetford, IP64 2SY
    www.equestrobed.co.uk

ENplus A1 ID-Number: UK007
    BSL0054826-0001

Offering local delivery of 1 tonne of 10kg bagged pellets for £252/T in the IP and NR postcode areas.

They state that the pellets are 'manufactured in our own plant using locally sourced virgin timber'.
    • npnight
    • By npnight 22nd Sep 15, 11:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    npnight
    Importing
    Dear All

Apologies if I stated something incorrectly. I am new to wood pellet product and industry.
    I have been doing various researches on it. And it seems that importing wood pellet from Eastern Europe is cheaper than buying from UK. However of course you need to import in big amounts in order for your transport cost not to be so high. Also need to buy more and more from supplier to get special discounted prices. I guess thats what some companies do bring in bigger volume and than sell to individual clients who buy in range of 0.5 to 3 ton. I wanted to hear your opinion what about if wood pellet brought to UK with all necessary certificates EN and BSL. and rather than spending on marketing and than charging clients
    250 pounds or more for the product, its sold at cheaper prices to people before it arrives.
    But no payment be done until goods are shipped and proof of shipment provided.
    So for example company takes orders lets say in certain area 5 clients each 2 ton, other area 8 clients 1 ton each and so on in total end up having order for 100 ton to 80 clients to 10 areas. Than company calculates all the transport costs. Once it brings wood pellet to port it will loan to various trucks and without storing them will directly send to clients.
    By doing so there is no marking cost, no storage cost, no extra loading and unloading cost will make product be cheaper. These is just an idea, would love to hear your opinions on these thought
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 22nd Sep 15, 11:26 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Importing
    It's an interesting idea to set up some kind of collective to buy biomass, I thought that perhaps MSE would be doing this at some time, in line with the Gas & Electric energy deals that have been brokered.
    However, I'm not sure that just a few individuals could bring about the economies of scale needed to make it worth while. White Horse Energy, Luxury Wood Co & Premier Pellets are all currently taking Pellets from Lativia, perhaps others do too.

Thozza & I live near to Grimsby, I seem to recall that someone has set up a bulk storage facility for pellets there? Maybe buying in bulk from the UK would also be a possibility?
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 22nd Sep 15, 11:43 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Price Increases - WHE
    Just had an email from WHE saying their prices will go up from the end of this month. I tried to paste the table of prices here, but can't get it to format correctly.
    Last edited by cancunia; 22-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    • npnight
    • By npnight 22nd Sep 15, 4:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    npnight
    One head is good two is better :)
    Thank you for reply. It was more idea of many people rather than few individuals.
    To make it bigger scale imagine there is map of UK and once people place orders
    they will pop up in map so others can see who is having deliver near them. More people order from certain area cheaper delivery will be.
    Most companies do bring there wood pellet from various countries however they still have
    marketing costs, storage cost and uploading and loading costs. But if product is sold before it hits storage house all these costs could be cut off and could lead to cheaper price to buyers.
    It is always hard to gather people to do something they rather pay slightly more than deal with it, therefore certain company could be set up who will do it all. Research find best suppliers, important pellets etc and sell to individuals at lower price.
    Regarding prices: various suppliers from Latvia and Russia have confirmed that during
    winter they do increase there prices because demand rises. For example Russia has more than Canada and USA combined tree zone that can be turned into wood pellet. But USA and Canada supplies UK 7 times more than what Russia. There is big gap in the market.
    its very big task to create such platform that will allow to do everything mentioned above not even speaking about costs of such system and operation.
    • tangoev
    • By tangoev 25th Sep 15, 10:43 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tangoev
    September offer
    We looked at this forum in the Spring and have now ordered bagged pallets ready for Winter.
    LC Energy had an offer on Greenwood pellets for £239 delivered.
    Price valid for the next week. http://lcenergy.co.uk/store/
    • thozza
    • By thozza 1st Oct 15, 10:15 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    prices creeping up
    Just checked a few of the cheaper suppliers, and over the past week prices seem to be creeping up a bit, the cheapest ENplus A1/BSL listed pellets are now around £230-£235/T from Premier Pellets (AKZ), White Horse (Firepower) and Luxury Wood Company (AKZ).
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 9th Oct 15, 8:18 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    BSL Registration Numbers
    I just got an email from RHI asking for my annual declaration. I started looking for BSL numbers and noticed that the BSL number for a given product (Brites for example) seems to be based on the seller as opposed to the manufacturer? Maybe it's a bit too early in the day and I got mixed up, but here's 2 examples:

LC Energy Brites - BSL0034202-0003
    LWP Brites - BSL0123426-0002
    • thozza
    • By thozza 9th Oct 15, 8:45 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    BSL Bureaucracy
    I just got an email from RHI asking for my annual declaration. I started looking for BSL numbers and noticed that the BSL number for a given product (Brites for example) seems to be based on the seller as opposed to the manufacturer? Maybe it's a bit too early in the day and I got mixed up, but here's 2 examples:

LC Energy Brites - BSL0034202-0003
    LWP Brites - BSL0123426-0002
    Originally posted by cancunia
    The BSL scheme seems to be another overly complex bureaucratic government scheme and therefore it has run into a few problems.

It is as you say, based on the listing number of the supplier, not the manufacturer, so if you use more than one supplier then each has its own number, one for each product sold...what a nightmare.

I have spoken to 3 suppliers who, despite applying for their numbers some time ago (they are all just selling EN A1 Plus bagged product), had still not received their certification. Looks like DECC completely underestimated the amount of work required to vet all the applicants.

On Tuesday this notice appeared on the BSL site:

06.10.15 - UPDATE FOR TRADERS: To support fuel quality, the BSL Administrator and the UK Pellet Council have reached an agreement that non-certified ENplus Traders selling sealed bagged pellets they have procured from an ENplus certified supplier can now be listed as a Trader of ENPlus fuel on the BSL. Eligible Traders can now include the ENplus number on their applications and can be shown as having the fuel quality standard on the BSL find a fuel website, once verified through the UK Pellet Council website or the ENplus website.

Why did it take until the day of launch for them to do the straightforward thing and give traders of EN A1 Plus pellets an automatic listing?

The website, with the 'Find A Fuel' is not that useful either, it shows all sorts of alleged stock points, some of which are depots or factories, and it doesn't even give the BSL listing number of the particular stock point. Apparently this is because we are required to quote the BSL number from the invoice, which is not very convenient.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 9th Oct 15, 10:41 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    I spoke to the Domestic RHI Helpline, the info they gave was that you cannot use fuel that is not BSL registered and claim the RHI even if it's fuel you bought last year. However if that same fuel is now registered with the BSL, you are ok to declare that.
    Based on suppliers having the registration as opposed to the fuel, this means that it's the supplier who needs to now be registered with the same fuel that you bought last year so you can declare last year's fuel on your RHI declaration. How daft is that, why not just say anything you buy from the 5th Oct has to be registered?

I emailed Balcas and got a generic BSL number from them for the UK, it's BSL0028407-0001, seems that wholesalers also get registration.

Over complicated, or what.
    • pokeynokes
    • By pokeynokes 12th Oct 15, 6:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pokeynokes
    FYI..... I got 5% off my first order with White Horse Energy - the code is FloJul9563. Even having to pay an extra £20 for delivery (they're in Scotland & I'm in God's Own Country of Cornwall) they were cheapest. Don't think there's any delivery surcharge if you are unfortunate enough to live in England xxx
    • WPG
    • By WPG 14th Oct 15, 8:25 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    top 10 pellet prices
    Here's the current top 10 bagged pellet prices, ordered by price/kwh.

Please let me know if there's any errors in this info, or if you know of any cheaper pellets not listed below.

Still too new to this site to post link, but they should all be easy to find via google or from woodpelletguide.uk

1. Firepower from White Horse Energy
    £215.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £220.51
    Price / kWh : 4.41p - (5kWh/kg)
    Origin : Latvia
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

2. AKZ from Premier Pellets
    £217.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £222.56
    Price / kWh : 4.45p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

3. Premier Fuel from Premier Pellets
    £215.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £220.51
    Price / kWh : 4.49p - (4.91kWh/kg)
    Origin : Russia
    NOT BSL certified
    NOT ENplus certified

4. AKZ from Luxury Wood Company
    £219.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £224.62
    Price / kWh : 4.49p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

5. Baltic Biogran from Luxury Wood Company
    £219.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £224.62
    Price / kWh : 4.49p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

6. DHLPL from Durham Heat Logs & Pellets
    £220.00 for 960kg
    Price / Tonne : £229.17
    Price / kWh : 4.77p - (4.8kWh/kg - Assumed, no value available)
    Origin : United Kingdom
    BSL certified
    NOT ENplus certified

7. Platinum Plus from White Horse Energy
    £235.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £241.03
    Price / kWh : 4.82p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

8. Sparklets from Premier Pellets
    £235.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : £241.03
    Price / kWh : 4.92p - (4.9kWh/kg)
    Origin : Russia
    NOT BSL certified
    ENplus A1

9. Forever Fuels from Forever Fuels
    £211.89 for 875kg
    Price / Tonne : £242.16
    Price / kWh : 5.04p - (4.8kWh/kg)
    Origin : Portugal
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

10. Greenwood from LC Energy
    £245.00 for 990kg
    Price / Tonne : £247.47
    Price / kWh : 5.05p - (4.9kWh/kg)
    Origin : Ireland
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 14th Oct 15, 9:49 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Interesting to see that the prices are on a downward trend atm.

http://woodpelletguide.uk/wood-pellet-price-updates.html

The pellets that I bought are actually more expensive than when I bought in Sept but looks like I could have saved money by holding on a bit.

Great Website Mr Woodpelletguide!
    • WPG
    • By WPG 14th Oct 15, 10:12 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Thanks Cancunia!

There does seem to be a downward trend (at at least stability) at the cheaper end of the market (which seem to mainly be the imported pellets) but I think prices for the UK pellets have generally been creeping up.

I think the price trends will be quite interesting to see, i'm building up some useful historical data now, just need to find the time to include it on the site.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 2nd Nov 15, 3:15 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Just looked at Luxury Wood site and the price for both AKZ & Baltic Biogran has gone down to £199.00 for 975kg (15kg bags), both BSL & ENPlus A1.

This pains me somewhat as I just bought a pallet of AKZ last week from them and paid £209.00.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 2nd Nov 15, 3:18 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Just looked at Luxury Wood site and the price for both AKZ & Baltic Biogran has gone down to £199.00 for 975kg (15kg bags), both BSL & ENPlus A1.

This pains me somewhat as I just bought a pallet of AKZ last week from them and paid £209.00.
    Originally posted by thozza
    I'm surprised that the prices have stayed so low and even fallen right into November, I bought mine back in September in order to beat any price rises. Must be the mild weather and also realisation that there's now a comparison website!
    • thozza
    • By thozza 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    More price drops
    This time White Horse Energy have reduced the price of their 'unbranded Simply Wood Pellets' to £197.00 for a 975kg pallet (£202.05/T), these are BSL listed so OK for claiming RHI subsidy, but do not hold an ENPlus A1 certification, however they claim to comply with the ENPlus A1 specification.

Interesting to see that on the Wood Pellet Guide site the cheapest UK manufactured pellets (Brites) are nearly £60/T = 28% more than these (and the ENPlus A1 certified AKZ) pellets, for what is basically the same thing.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 5th Nov 15, 1:12 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Interesting to see that on the Wood Pellet Guide site the cheapest UK manufactured pellets (Brites) are nearly £60/T = 28% more than these (and the ENPlus A1 certified AKZ) pellets, for what is basically the same thing.
    Originally posted by thozza

Yeah, I bought Brites for the past 2 winters and have come to the conclusion that they are overpriced. If you want to add 5% discount to the WHE prices, see one of my earlier posts.
    • WPG
    • By WPG 5th Nov 15, 1:22 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    I'm starting to think the same thing, we've mainly gone with Verdo or Brites so far, but the price difference is getting too much to justify.

Has anyone noticed any difference between the performance of the UK pellets (Verdo, Brites etc) and the imported ones such as AKZ? I know all the enplus pellets should perform the same in theory, just wondered if that was actually people's experience?
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 5th Nov 15, 1:26 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Has anyone noticed any difference between the performance of the UK pellets (Verdo, Brites etc) and the imported ones such as AKZ? I know all the enplus pellets should perform the same in theory, just wondered if that was actually people's experience?
    Originally posted by WPG
    I'm still burning the last of my Brites before starting on the 'Premium Plus' I got from WHE. One thing about WHE is that they have published feedback for the pellets. It was the fact they published the feedback that helped my decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,213Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter