Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 388Thanks
    Storm89
    2 years to smash the debt !
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    2 years to smash the debt ! 3rd Jan 18 at 2:45 PM
    I'm starting a new diary because I didn't keep my last one up and I'm feeling rubbish about not paying off as much as I had wanted. My last target was to be debt free by the summer of 2020 but I'm determined to set a new target of December 2019. Taking it a year at a time though, so aiming for debt to be £10k by December and savings to be £3k (currently have no savings at all). I need to do this for my kids, I wish I could give them experiences and not have to cut back so much because of the silly mess we're in.

As it stands the debt is
    Credit Card 1 - £6,330.83 0% ends in March
    Credit Card 2- £7,660.01 0% ends in November
    Credit Card 3- £1,873.59 0% ends in June
    Total - £16,027.43
    I need to figure out how to start shifting some of that debt onto other 0% cards soon I just don't know how to go about it. A card we have with zero balance has offered us 0% for 12 months and the amount we could transfer is around £5100 so not enough to cover the card that's up in March. So I'm not sure what to do really about this. I'm considering getting another 0% card but worry we won't get accepted.
    We're a family of 4 with a 7 year old and 4 year old and income from all sources is
    £2816

Outgoings are
    £1516.62

It gives us a surplus of £1299.38. I don't want to put it all on the debt but we're setting aside £500 a month for that. I've also created some savings accounts on my mobile banking that I've named and decided to set aside each month:
    General Savings - £250
    Very- £100
    Clothes- £40
    Center Parcs- £100
    Christmas and Birthdays- £100
    Anything we manage to save on top of this will pay off debt
    Having no savings in 2017 meant I had to use Very to buy things we needed. A hoover, pushchair, washing machine etc. We now have a balance of £1000 on there that's interest free as long as I pay within 12 months of when we purchased the items. I should count this in my total debt but it's too depressing to do so and I'll be paying it off anyway

I've booked us a little holiday at Center Parcs for October half term. We've not been away at all last year and won't be going anywhere else until then , I just felt that I wanted to get the balance between paying off debt and having a little treat. I'll be using this thread to write my ramblings even if nobody reads it !
    Last edited by Storm89; 03-01-2018 at 2:51 PM.
Page 14
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Hi everyone ! Thanks so much for being concerned. I was in hospital and my daughter didn't cope very well at all. I do have concussion so have been vomiting and groggy for a while and still don't feel great. I must have pushed myself a bit much when I first got the headache and carried on doing normal things , I don't know. There was internal bleeding but it is superficial so I'm ok . Kids have been eating takeaways so there's money spent there plus petrol to and from the hospital. I'll update properly soon I just wanted to say I'm ok and thank everyone for worrying , was really nice to come on here this afternoon and see people asking after me.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 10th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I am so pleased you are ok. Try not to worry too much about the money spent whilst you were in hospital. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.x
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 10th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    fatrab
    Glad you're ok
    Make a plan. Stick to the plan. If it's not in the plan - DONT DO IT!
    February's Goals - 14/18 NSD - 15/19 Lunches - 22/28 AFD - 18/28 TAFD (take away free days)
    LBM Dec 2017 - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 8lb lost so far
    14 x £2 coins (#32)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    JoJoC
    So glad you're ok Storm - sounds like a nasty fall indeed!

Hope you're recovering well and being looked after - money matters can wait! Health is way more important.

Looking forward to hearing from you again when you're fit and well.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 12th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Monday 12 February

Oh my goodness what else can life throw at me?! Haha. I'm still not 100% & keep getting things wrong , calling people the wrong names LOL but I am getting there. Headache is still there but it's being managed relatively well with painkillers and think I'm almost feeling myself. My husband says it's like I'm in slow motion whatever that means.
    Anyway last night the laptop packed in (a week after our 3 year warranty ended). Was going to get a quote to get it fixed but then I started with awful toothache. I have a private dentist so made an emergency appointment this morning . There are no NHS spaces anywhere locally which is why I rarely go to the dentist. I'm now £80 lighter though and have decided to take out their care plan at £13.40 a month to save me paying out so much in future. I am going to start attending regularly too. The shopping cost me £65 today so £10 under budget but I don't feel all that pleased considering the rest of the money that's gone out this month. If I get to the end of the month with anything in general savings then I will deserve a medal.
    I had British gas out to fix a light fitting today (make use of them before I cancel the homecare package and go down to basic boiler cover). I've got to call BT on 22nd and cancel the tv package (I called last month and they said call back 22nd feb) Sky have offered a cracking deal to go back to them and the offer ends 1st March so will call them on payday. I don't think there's anything else I'll check in when I can and hopefully start posting regularly. I'll try catch up on other diaries tomorrow. X
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 12th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    I'm typing on my phone. We are leaving the laptop for a few months until we manage to get some money together.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 12th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    fatrab
    I think you start to realise where the money has been disappearing to over the years once you start to keep a log. All these little things that crop up that would have been paid on a credit card without thinking about it!

Hope you're feeling better soon and the laptop is nothing serious.
    Make a plan. Stick to the plan. If it's not in the plan - DONT DO IT!
    February's Goals - 14/18 NSD - 15/19 Lunches - 22/28 AFD - 18/28 TAFD (take away free days)
    LBM Dec 2017 - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 8lb lost so far
    14 x £2 coins (#32)
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 12th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Yes that's true . And it's good that we haven't added to the debt to do these things. I think it's been an unusual month having lots of things at once happen (but you do have those months where everything seems to go wrong) . I must say February is flying by compared to January which was never ending.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes, I agree about February flying in! IT's a wonderful feeling I really don't like the start of the year - I'm not sure why... probably something to do with the fact it's always stressful at work and it's dark/ bad weather/ bleak.

From April until the end of the year I'm generally fine, but those first three months are just so meh.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 14th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Wednesday 14th February

Happy Valentine's Day. Jojo I agree the weather has an impact on how you feel doesn't it. When it starts to get dark again later in the year it's coupled with the excitement of Christmas so you don't feel so rubbish. Hope you're doing well ? I'm going to catch up on your diary now.
    Last night was parents evening at my son's school but only my husband went. I'm so disheartened at the lack of support from the school that i would end up getting angry or upset so I stayed home with the kids. I wont get into it because it's such a long story lol.
    My son has also got worms which is another delightful joy of having children so we had to spend £10 on ovex that we've all taken and now I am disinfecting the entire house. I was looking on some forums and found a comment about how we "worm our pets every 6 months but not our kids" and I thought yeah actually that's true !! I've thrown out all the play doh and everything just gone to town with it LOL. Having the sausage meatball subs tonight they're always a hit with the boys , my daughter never really eats anything but ham sandwiches haha. I am just starting to look at the SOA for next month. I'm so excited to get the theme park passes. Half term next week for us so will be going to the farm again. Its spring so will be feeding the baby lambs and maybe even see one being born if we're lucky. There's so much to do as the seasons change I'm so glad we got the passes.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    JoJoC
    That's such a shame about your son's school not being supportive - I know you don't want to get into it but you can take these things higher, beyond the head of the school? Might be worth it to get the support that your son needs/ deserves.

Oh, I'm climbing the walls at the thought of worms. Between that and head lice, I'm not quite sure how i'll cope when it's my kids...eek! You're doing the right thing though, getting rid of everything and disinfecting the rest! You don't want to risk a repeat once you get rid of it!

• Storm89
    • By Storm89 14th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    I don't know what to do I am at the end of my tether with the school. We have extra support through CAMHS & we have a school nurse team attending 6 weekly meetings with the head and us. The head talks the talk but then doesn't follow through on anything.
    Oh yes head lice are also delightful. We've only had them once and it was my son when he was in reception. My daughter has really curly hair like proper ringlets and I would dread sifting through it if she ever got nits! It's the one benefit of her having no friends that she isn't close enough to other kids to catch them.
    I'm going to treat us all again in a fortnight because apparently the eggs can survive on surfaces for up to THREE WEEKS oh god it's disgusting haha.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 17th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Saturday 17 February
    I am terrible at keeping up lately. I have nothing to report really though. Have put some of the savings into the little virtual pots. Not put anything in general savings yet because I need to assess what we are left with at the end of the month. I have to say I'm really glad I did the balance transfers at the start of the diary as it's allowed for all the unexpected costs this month. It's also really good to see the accounts like Very and Center Parcs building up because I just know I would have got into a mess trying to pay those off using more credit if I hadn't given myself the breathing space. We are on half term so just about to decide what we are doing for the week. I've cancelled dancing lessons even though I've paid for this month. I can get a refund for 3 of the 5 weeks apparently. I'm going to try it again in about 12 months. She does really well once there but it's such a huge battle for half an hour of jumping around . Takes 2 hours at least to get her dressed , brush hair etc and its such a fight. We have the same fight for playgroup everyday so will be good to give her a breather on the weekend. There's a few things I'm cancelling , adding on over the next few months but the monthly SOAs should explain it somewhat. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 17th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I don't blame you cancelling dance lessons. My DD3 is the same about rugby. She loves it when she is there but it is a fight to get her there. So I have said she doesn't have to go if she doesn't want to. I don't want to force her and to be honest it doesn't cost me any extra for her to do it. I am still taking my son, so she knows she can come if she wants to.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83 Feb 2018 £7675.3966.76% paid
    Debt no 3 £600/£1000
    Debt no 2 £0/£412.05 paid Feb ~ Debt no 1 £0/£593.29 paid Jan 2018
    Emergency fund £387.50/£600 ~ Total Savings £1036.29
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £10114.82/£12,000
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    I'm just trying to post for a second then will try again in a minute. I keep typing out loads then it says token has expired whatever that means
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Sunday 19th February
    Ok looks like it's working. That's good about rugby that she can just tag along if she wants to. I'm disappointed about the dancing but it's not worth the dramatics every week.
    Off to the farm again today with our annual passes. It's all the spring activities so we should get to bottle feed the lambs and even see one being born if we're lucky. I had posted lots about money previously but I'll try and do that later incase it says token expired again
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Ok so it's actually 18th February. I had just said how the month wasn't going to end as I had planned. My general savings will be about £150 as opposed to £360 but I know exactly where the money has gone so I'm not too disheartened by it. £60 went to clothes fund because i was thinking ahead to kids needing shoes next month. £80 dentist , takeaways whilst I was in hospital , hospital parking etc.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I think you can be pleased that you ended the month with a positive balance going into your savings considering what you want through!

Hope you enjoy the farm park and don't worry about the dancing, may be another year or so will make her want to restart? We stopped taking my eldest to football after a while because he just stood at the side clinging yo us and not joining in. He was 3 at the time I think. He's been asking to go to football again lately so I might try to find one

• Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Yeah it's pointless paying money into something if they aren't getting anything out of it. Hopefully football will be a hit now he's asking to go. My son wants drum lessons but they're £50 a month so he will have to wait a while lol.
    Thanks I do feel positive because I've got all the money into the savings pots I had planned (plus an extra £60 into clothing so £100 all together in there).
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 20th Feb 18, 8:43 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Storm89
    Tuesday 20th February

I always intend to post daily but then life is so busy I never actually get round to it. Went shopping yesterday & spent £69 which I'm happy with . Bought lots of extras because it's half term and we've got lots of meat in the meals this week so I would say we have done pretty well. Doing week 2 of the savvy shopper meal plans so last night we had butternut squash risotto.
    I'm eager for March to start because I want to try & start again to actually meet my monthly savings target! However, it feels so good not to be at this point in the month and having to use credit cards.
    My son started his intensive swimming lessons yesterday . It starts at 9am all week so is giving us some structure to the half term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,045Posts Today

8,585Users online

Martin's Twitter