Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreenEJTx
    • By GreenEJTx 11th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GreenEJTx
    DRO, PIP, and University. Please help?
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    DRO, PIP, and University. Please help? 11th Feb 18 at 11:45 PM
    Hello,

This is long, sorry in advance for taking up people's time.

I'm 24 and a single parent, my daughter will be three in March. I am disabled due to my mental health conditions. I have accepted an unconditional offer from Oxford Brookes university and my course starts this September.

I'm also in about 14-15 thousand pounds of debt - credit cards. I went to citizens advice bureau for help because I've been so anxious about it all, I'm at a point where I can't afford the minimum payments of my cards each month so had been taking out more to pay for them etc. Not good. So CAB were lovely and recommended I apply for PIP as I'm eligible on mental health grounds, and recommended a DRO to address my debt issues, went through the application with me and I paid the £90, and just waiting on it being sent off now.

However! I'm increasingly terrified that this is all going to fall apart when I go to university, because 1) I don't know if student finance will give me the loan if I have a DRO, 2) I don't know if the DRO will be instantly revoked due to receiving large sums of money from uni each term, 3) if having PIP might revoke the DRO, 4) If I can even get PIP while going to uni, 5) how on earth I'm going to afford to live and feed my daughter if I don't get PIP and this DRO.

I'm an absolute wreck, have been for so long now, and I keep googling to try and find out what loans, benefits and grants etc I'm eligible for so I can see how much I'll have to live off and if I'll still be eligible for the DRO but I'm finding nothing, it's stopping me sleeping at night and I can feel myself going into crisis again mentally but I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or any advice on what I can do?

Thank you so much and im really sorry for taking up anyone's time.
    Jessie.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 13,210 Posts
    • 12,634 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    Hi,

Student loans are an excluded debt in a DRO, so having one should not effect your arrangement.

In a Debt Relief Order (DRO),DLA or PIP is counted as “income” however there will be a line added into your “expenditure” that is the same amount for your “disability expenses”. This means that you will often pass the “not more than £50 a month surplus income” test for a DRO, even if you are currently paying more than that amount to your creditors.

This should of been dealt with ideally before the DRO application was done, it may cause you problems with the surplus income rules.

Speak to your intermediary about it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    If university is going to cause a problem then defer your course for a year. This will allow you time to deal with your debt issues, get your PIP and stabilise your finances before undertaking university. You want to be able to concentrate on your studies when you start not worry about all this.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 11,921 Posts
    • 9,008 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    However! I'm increasingly terrified that this is all going to fall apart when I go to university, because 1) I don't know if student finance will give me the loan if I have a DRO, 2) I don't know if the DRO will be instantly revoked due to receiving large sums of money from uni each term, 3) if having PIP might revoke the DRO, 4) If I can even get PIP while going to uni, 5) how on earth I'm going to afford to live and feed my daughter if I don't get PIP and this DRO.
    Originally posted by GreenEJTx
    1) Yes they will
    2) No it won't
    3) No it won't
    4) Yes you can
    5) You are asking in the right places for advice
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Feb 18, 11:42 PM
    • 13,210 Posts
    • 12,634 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:42 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:42 PM
    1) Yes they will
    2) No it won't
    3) No it won't
    4) Yes you can
    5) You are asking in the right places for advice
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Was hoping you’d comment on this !!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,666Users online

Martin's Twitter