Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brian j evans
    • By brian j evans 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    brian j evans
    Halifax Endowment Mortgage
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    Halifax Endowment Mortgage 10th Feb 18 at 7:01 PM
    Hi,

I took out a Halfax endowment mortgage in the early 1980's. I found I had practically paid the mortgage but also found there was no shortfall. I was sold the mortgage via an agent who visited my house. Halifax say they have no records, yet due to finding myself in the position of not having a shortfall I was left to mortgage again. I took my business to HSBC and got a mortgage with them. *Halifax took my payments for the endownment each and every month, I never missed a payment yet no shortfall.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that can or may be of help please? Thank you.
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 5,050 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    What's your question?

• zx81
    • By zx81 10th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 16,446 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:25 PM

I took out a Halfax endowment mortgage in the early 1980's. I found I had practically paid the mortgage but also found there was no shortfall.
    Originally posted by brian j evans
    That's brilliant news. You can now use the endowment for whatever you want, if the mortgage is paid off.

Round the world cruise?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Feb 18, 12:07 AM
    • 91,094 Posts
    • 58,107 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:07 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:07 AM
    . I found I had practically paid the mortgage but also found there was no shortfall.
    in the history of endowments, the majority hit the target and provided surpluses. It was only the later years that they went off.

You had yours in the days of MIRAS (and double MIRAS) and LAPR.
    Halifax say they have no records, yet due to finding myself in the position of not having a shortfall I was left to mortgage again. I took my business to HSBC and got a mortgage with them
    Why do you think Halifax would have any records?

*Halifax took my payments for the endownment each and every month, I never missed a payment yet no shortfall.
    Halifax were a building society. Not an insurance company. They would not have taken payment for an endowment policy. You would pay Halifax the interest only.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that can or may be of help please?
    help you how?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

8,732Users online

Martin's Twitter