Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scooter74
    • By scooter74 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    scooter74
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?
    • 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying? 31st Jan 11 at 9:22 PM
    I would like to start a website which tracks bottled 47kg gas prices across the country in order to fight for the energy minister to regulate propane gas prices and remove the VAT from it. There are no websites which compare prices. I live in a rural area and have no real alternative Since I moved in in 2006, my 47kg gas price has risen from £26 to, today £56.50. Five years 102%. Since many people who live in rural areas are already paying the most for energy and have disproportionately low incomes I think a campaign on this is long overdue.

Please post your location and price you are paying. If we all do it we can make a case to the government for regulation or some kind of subsidy which puts propane on a par with mains gas. Sadly overdue I think.

So, I'll start Basildon, Essex: £56.50
Page 21
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 15th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    just paid £130 odd for 2 bottles here in Gloucester, from Flogas,
    Originally posted by evoman10
    Admittedly, that does sound expensive. However, last week I was quoted £95 (inc delivery) for ONE 47kg bottle - usual Northern Ireland rip off price...
    • evoman10
    • By evoman10 15th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    evoman10
    Admittedly, that does sound expensive. However, last week I was quoted £95 (inc delivery) for ONE 47kg bottle - usual Northern Ireland rip off price...
    Originally posted by frugalstephen
    Scandalous.
    • taxsaver
    • By taxsaver 2nd Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    taxsaver
    And where would that be Taxsaver?

I'm not far from the North Cambs border and that price would make the trip worthwhile.
    Originally posted by rogcal
    Sorry, I've only just seen your question:

https://www.talltreesleisurepark.co.uk/ they're in Guyhirn and very friendly and helpful.
    If you feel my comments are helpful then I'd love it if you 'Thanked' me!
    • Benb65
    • By Benb65 4th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Benb65
    Caravan Site LPG prices.
    I find it particularly annoying that the prices of lpg on caravan sites is so high with most site owners refusing to allow anyone to access sites to deliver gas, also state in site rules that gas can only be purchased from the site. In other words your at the mercy of the site owner who in some cases should have a mask and a gun. It's time prices were controlled by legislation like most other essential fuels. Its very difficult to even discuss prices with site owners because they simply say if you don't like it you can alway take your van off. We all know that's not practical so have no choice but to get ripped off. Having talked to quite a few holiday static owners the prices vary from £52 to £65 for a 47kg bottle. Currently I am paying £70 the highest price I have seen, I only know of one other site charging so much on the Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire coast.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Talk to the CMA and/or Trading Standards
    I find it particularly annoying that the prices of lpg on caravan sites is so high with most site owners refusing to allow anyone to access sites to deliver gas, also state in site rules that gas can only be purchased from the site. In other words your at the mercy of the site owner who in some cases should have a mask and a gun. It's time prices were controlled by legislation like most other essential fuels. Its very difficult to even discuss prices with site owners because they simply say if you don't like it you can alway take your van off. We all know that's not practical so have no choice but to get ripped off. Having talked to quite a few holiday static owners the prices vary from £52 to £65 for a 47kg bottle. Currently I am paying £70 the highest price I have seen, I only know of one other site charging so much on the Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire coast.
    Originally posted by Benb65
    Why don't you have a chat with your local Trading Standards department and/or contact the CMA. It does seem the site owner is acting in a monopolistic way which may be against the law.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    fewkeste
    You can fill your own cylinders
    Another thought is that depending on the kind of vehicle you have, it is possible to buy an adapter online (eBay) that will allow you to fill your own cylinders. If you have an estate car you could put empty cylinders in the back (with the back seats down) drive to the nearest filling station that sells LPG, fit the adapter then fill the cylinders from the LPG nozzle.

The listings that sell the cylinder refill adapters explain how to use them safely and how much LPG to put into different sized cylinders to leave sufficient headspace.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-GAS-ADAPTOR-Refill-your-Propane-46-47-KG-Gas-Bottles-FREE-POST/162631141941?hash=item25dd924a35:g:1lgAAOSwG2tZ60l c
    Last edited by fewkeste; 04-02-2018 at 1:38 PM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    fewkeste
    From the NACO website
    I found this advice on the NACO website

"Bottled LPG

Like many fuel costs, the price of bottled gas has risen significantly over the past few years and caravan owners across the UK have seen an increase in the cost of bottled gas. The main benefit of bottled gas is that you are perfectly entitled to source your bottled LPG from wherever you like. However, some park operators will attempt to restrict the supply of gas at their park/s by insisting on a certain supplier or not allowing other parties on-site to deliver and install LPG.

If your park insists on a certain supplier, the first thing to establish is what alternatives are available and at what price. Next, check your contract. We would argue that tying in to one supplier is restrictive and can have dramatic financial consequences across the years. This type of restrictive behaviour is open to challenge under anti-competition regulations, unfair terms legislation and even new anti-bribery laws.

If you are being forced to use one supplier for your bottled gas, NACO members can get in touch with our Advice Team who will give guidance on a way forward."

There you go - that last paragraph sums it up.
    • sjoyce666
    • By sjoyce666 5th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sjoyce666
    Paying £52.50 per 47kg bottle delivered and hooked up in Somerset. We have a 4 bottle setup for our domestic heating and hot water. Two on and two off with automatic switch over but I do it manually otherwise when do you know two have run out and stops all four being empty at once. Interesting to see other prices people are paying
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 51,469 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    We've been paying £70 per bottle for the past 3 years and had been told we weren't allowed to buy it from anywhere else other than the caravan park so the above makes interesting reading. Thanks.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 5th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What a rip off!
    We've been paying £70 per bottle for the past 3 years and had been told we weren't allowed to buy it from anywhere else other than the caravan park so the above makes interesting reading. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Frugaldom
    It sounds like you need to speak with these NACO people for advice. You never know they may have some sort of standard warning letter template you can send to the site owner warning them they may be at risk of prosecution/legal action.
    • Mwebster
    • By Mwebster 7th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mwebster
    Paid £67.87 for calor
    Paid £67.87 for calor at bartletts in bere regis then found i could of got flow gas for £52.50 delivers and no empty required.!!!128544;
    • CandyCupcake
    • By CandyCupcake 7th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    CandyCupcake
    We have just bought a house that runs off LPG and we pay £58 for a 47kg bottle, which includes delivery and fitting. Melling, Merseyside.

• portugalstu
    • By portugalstu 9th Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    portugalstu
    We live on a park home site and have to buy the bottled gas from the site owner. We moved in last September and the 47kg gas was £68 we have been told this week that it is now £72.50. How much profit the site is making only they know. If we are lucky and control when the heating is on one bottle will last 2 weeks. If we want to be comfortable then it would only last a week.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 10th Feb 18, 12:36 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Now you know what to do
    We live on a park home site and have to buy the bottled gas from the site owner. We moved in last September and the 47kg gas was £68 we have been told this week that it is now £72.50. How much profit the site is making only they know. If we are lucky and control when the heating is on one bottle will last 2 weeks. If we want to be comfortable then it would only last a week.
    Originally posted by portugalstu
    Read post #407, do some research and then take the appropriate action if you're unhappy with the current situation. It sounds as though you're not alone in being ripped off but it also looks like you can do something about it via NACO. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,740Users online

Martin's Twitter