Working for Group 4 Security (G4S)

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody on here works for/has worked for G4S, or if they have any friends or family that work for them?

I wanted to know if they were a good employer to work for. Their advertising a couple of jobs local to me and I'm considering applying.

Thanks

Comments

• TheSandman
    TheSandman Posts: 71 Forumite
    Yes, while at school and university I used it as a part-time job which it was well suited for.

It's actually casual work in that they don't issue minimum hours, or fixed dates. The events they do are 24/7 so they just ask everyone when signing in at an event what shifts are available in the next week and which they'd like to do. This is what makes it an ideal PT job, averaging maybe two shifts a week but being able to take a couple of weeks off for exams with no trouble.

As for what they're like it's impossible to say. While I can say I never met a bad manager or supervisor it changes depending on location. What I will say though is that they're not some shoddy stewarding/security form of which there are many up and down the country. G4S is listed on the FTSE 100 alongside Vodafone, BP, Tesco etc so you can be sure they won't disappear overnight, rip you off or violate employment law.

As for the work it's standard that you'll be offered to work a football match or two every weekend and possibly midweek if a local team has a cup match or European game. Then there's festivals, concerts, rugby, it depends on what's on.

Pay is minimum wage but you get paid 4.5 hours for a football match since you arrive at 12.30 for a 3.00 KO. They get you in 90 minutes before turnstiles are open during which time you chat, drink tea or whatever. The hour before the match is when you have to work, showing people seats, ripping tickets or bag searches usually. Once the game starts you just stand about, how busy you get getting people to sit down or stop standing in the concourses depends on how much of a jobsworth you're going to be.

I would definately recommend it. It's a job I actually enjoyed and didn't want to leave.
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Don't work for G4S though i know ones that do. Not sure where Sandman gets the football thing about as they do a lot more security than that. I would say they are no worse and probably better than most Security firms. Having worked in security for 11 years, in my experience that would not be hard.:cool:
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    getzls wrote: »
    Don't work for G4S though i know ones that do. Not sure where Sandman gets the football thing about as they do a lot more security than that. I would say they are no worse and probably better than most Security firms. Having worked in security for 11 years, in my experience that would not be hard.:cool:

TheSandman didn't say they only do football work - but that's clearly his experience with them so he was sharing that as one thing that's often offered as weekend work. That's how I read it, anyway. :)

KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I worked for Group Four a couple of years ago for about 18 months.

From the Security Companies I have worked for they were amongst the better. They have a computerised system which enables you to access your hours etc online.

Like most companies the biggest problem is the Pay Rates, unless you do relief work every assignment may have a different level of pay.

Some sites you work your nuts off for Minimum Wage or just above , others you get decent money for doing nothing all night or watching TV etc.

Can often be the luck of the draw :D
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    is it for the securities side the OP is enquiring about, as G4S provide a lot of different services these days, don't they?
    matched betting: £879.63
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,501
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes they do many different services, OP if you could be more specific about which part of G4S you are referring to, maybe someone can help a bit more?
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 265 Forumite
    I've just applied for a safety stewards job with G4S. I have been booked in for an interview in two weeks time. What can I expect from this interview?
  • xxJudexx
    xxJudexx Posts: 422 Forumite
    I applied for a security job at the olympics with G4S. I passed all their interview stages and the security check then they told me they wanted me to do at least a months training in March and I wouldn't get paid until the start of the olympics in July! I couldn't afford to travel to london for a month without pay for so long so I had to turn it down :( Good luck with your interview! My interview was only about 20 mins long. They ask you very basic questions, and you have to do a sensory test. I had to sniff a glass and tell them what I thought was inside.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. The positions I was looking at were not security guards or stewards, they were full time positions. The job spec is quite vague but it is basically counting money. I have`nt applied but may do in the future
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,501
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Then yes, I know someone who works at a cash services branch and they are overall a good employer to work for in regards to that sort of work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure