Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    • 7,109Posts
    • 79,106Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Countdown to Freedom
    • 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    Countdown to Freedom 5th Nov 11 at 9:12 PM
    A new diary as we enter the last two months of 2011. I have been lurking for almost a year and have found so many of you inspirational, particularly Billy, Michelle, Radish, and Museum Worker.

A bit of background I am married to a great man, two kids who are growing up too quickly, two cats and a dog! Never a dull moment in our household as you can imagine.

I had my LB moment 12 months ago and started to work on my husband to bring him round as I thought we both needed to be on board to tackle this project. I have just asked him when he had his LB moment and he said 'when you told me I had' however he swiftly followed this up with 'when I realised we would never reduce the mortgage whilst battling with 'the large Spanish bank'!

To set the stage for where we are and where we are aiming for:
    Current mortgage 312000 and I wince as I type the number, with the outstanding mortgage due to finish in 10 years. Aim is to clear the mortgage in 6 years. We are fortunate that we are both employed on good salaries however in this day and age who knows how long that will last.
    Onwards and upwards, my next post will be to build a picture of how I/we have put into practice all the things learnt from you great people.

Thanks for reading and I hope some day I can inspire others the way some of you have inspired me/us.
Page 474
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 10th Oct 15, 8:20 AM
    • 7,109 Posts
    • 79,106 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    I have not been on here for 8 months or so and cannot believe how many of the diaries I was following have paid off!! Inspirational, well done!
    Originally posted by southerndave
    Morning, thanks for dropping by. We are pretty much delighted that it's gone.

Without we would not have achieved it.

Best wishes Tilly x x
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033 2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Goal: 28/08/15
    House 1:value 575k, Outstanding Mort 10
    House 2: value Euro 400k, owned outright
  • HelenDaveKids
    Yes agree and welcome back SD. I feel my MF status is getting so close now too. There's a saying, "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." -- Earl Nightingale, which I think fits for so many things (incliding my MSc!).
    Morgage till Nov30 MFW Sept 2016
    MFiT-3(38) Aug11 - 100K Oct15 9.7K
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone!2015 Goal is to maintain.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • Karmacat
    Helen, thanks for that full version of the quote - I always remember "the time will pass anyway" but without the context it doesn't have the right ring to it.
    Retiring 26.8.2016
    5k from online work by then, 83,50 per week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,667Posts Today

6,410Users online

Martin's Twitter