Red Debt Collection (Lowells) & 3 mobile

Comments

• Glad i found these posts!

I have received two letters from Red with different reference numbers and different amounts owing to 3G Mobile....does that make me lucky lol!

Well i have only ever had years ago a 3 pay as you go phone, no contract, no insurance or anything, so am somewhat bemused to where one debt came from let alone two!

Anyway i tried to call the 0844 number to see what was what...turned out to be a nice scottish lady working at a car dealer ship in glasgow! Funny thought Red was based in leeds!

Next Step was to try emailing them seeing i couldnt get through by phone, guess what the email bounced back and with failed delivery.

So seeing as i dont know how to contact these underhand people...does anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

thanks
  • Well at least I'm not the only one dealing with this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1118177

My only real question after reading all this is:
    Do I have any right to invoice these bottom-feeders for my time in dealing with my non-existent debt?
  • Hi,

The Red debt collection services is a SCAM. They have sent a letter to my husband about the "money" he owes to 3G and he has never been a customer of 3G.

I believe the scam is in phoning them up, the phone number must be a very expensive one charged by the minute. I also think that they do get some people actually paying so it must be worth it enough for that alone.

How can we get these people brought to justice and stop them sending out phoney letters. I am going to first contact the csa (credit standards authority) as they have used their credentials at the bottom of the letter. Does anyone else want to join forces to provide the proof of the illegitimate practice going on here? I feel sorry for the poor susceptible people who will lose sleep and money over this scam.

Best regards

Emma
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Mascy wrote: »
    How can we get these people brought to justice and stop them sending out phoney letters. I am going to first contact the csa (credit standards authority) as they have used their credentials at the bottom of the letter. Emma

Hi Emma - certainly the csa is one line of attack. I agree that this is a 'scam' - the sheer volume of the 'same' debts would indicate that there is either something amiss or that the majority of 3G customers sudenly decided to 'default' at the same time.
    Another line of approach would be through Trading Standards - whilst, unfortunately, TS do NOT appear to have a very good track record when it comes to 'policing' the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, they are extremely god when it comes to 'scams' like this one.
    I will be joining you in spirit, Emma, as I am not one of the many hundreds, possibly thousands, of unsuspecting ex 3G/Carphone warehouse customers who has been affected by this disgusting excercise.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Hi All,

I have come home this evening to exactly the same thing, namely

"Reference No: 9245xxxx
    Original Creditor : 3G Mobile
    Balance Outstanding : £12.86

We would inform you that we have been appointed duly authorised collection agent for Lowell Portfolio I Ltd and have been instructed to recover the outstanding monies due to our client.

As you have failed to settle your outstanding balance or enter into a repayment plan our client has now instructed us to consider either :

1. Using the services of a Licenced "Home visit Agent" ....

2. Start legal proceedings with a view to gaining a County Court Judgment....

Before a decision is made as to the most suitable form of action (described above) regarding your oustanding debt we would like to give you the opportunity of contacting us and agreeing repayment.

If we do not hear from you by 26/08/2008 and you persist with non payment our client may have no alternative than to use other recovery methods as described above, both could see your balance increase as any costs incurred may be added to your account.

This debt is not going to go away and ignoring this problem could potentially make your situation worse and we therefore strongly recommend you contact us NOW:

0844 844 4720

Payment can be taken over the telephone by debit or credit card

Yours Sincerely

Nigel Beaven"

Interestingly the date of the letter is 21st August so I'm to assume Royal Mail took almost a week to deliver it !?!.

I did have a mobile contract with 3 Mobile, not 3G, but it was cancelled at the end of its term around 4+ years ago after I'd had overwealmingly bad service from them. Cancelling the account was painful as I recall but I'm of the opinion all debts were settled.

My experience with 3 probably echoes that of many with bad customer service (in India) and poor reception in most areas I took the phone to.

I'm discusted and livid that this dodgy outfit have somehow been given my details via 3. What's more annoying is any such debt outstanding would have been better recieved had 3 made request for payment of it over the last 4 odd years.

I have dug out the letter I sent 3 in cancellation and it's dated 7th June 2004. One thing that's uncanny is the following passage I wrote in my letter :

"I have made two phone calls to customer services trying to provide notice. I called on the 2nd June and was told it was “too early to cancel as renewal is 7th July” and told to “call back on 7th June”. I have done this today and been told I can’t give you notice until “the beginning of July otherwise I’ll incur a cancellation charge of £12.50”.

I’m not looking to end this contract early so I certainly don’t expect to be charged for cancelling at the end of 12 months. I was merely giving a month’s notice of this intent."

Now this makes me wonder...are they trying to charge me for cancelling, even though I clearly stated I'm not trying to cancel early just to cancel upon day of what would have been renewal?.

Either way I'm unsure how to proceed with Red. I neither want to phone them nor send them a tenner to see proof of what debt they proport to. My other quandry is what the reference number relates to? It's not my original account number as I have that detailed on the letter I sent in 2004 and it has more digits for a start.

Any thoughts? last thing I want is a CCJ against me but not liking being scammed either.
  • Hi all, like the rest of you, I too have received this letter. I have emailed them tonight after trying to ring twice and not getting through and becoming suspicious of their phone number :mad: . This is the email I sent:

FAO Nigel Beaven

Dear Mr Beaven,

This evening I returned home from work to find a letter threatening legal action against me: Ref 92452312 Original Creditor: 3G Mobile Outstanding balance £29.58.

I am deeply upset to receive this letter as I have never had any unpaid debts in my life and feel that this demand is totally unjustified and has seriously hurt my feelings. Not only do I find your letter threatening but I also think you are breaching OFT Debt Collection Guidelines and I am considering making a full complaint unless this matter is dealt with as a matter of urgency.

Firstly your letter is dated 21/08/08 but did not in fact arrive until 27/08/08 but secondly your letter threatens that if you do not hear from me before 26/07/08 and you state if I persist with non-payment then your client will use the recovery methods as stated in your letter. This is in complete breach of OFT Debt Collection Guidelines as I have NEVER received any outstanding notices from 3G Mobile and they have never contacted me to recover any monies, I still have the same phone number and home address so there is no excuse for them not contacting me. Also and probably more importantly I ceased using 3G Mobile in 2004 and have since been a customer of O2, also all my bills with 3G Mobile were paid by Direct Debit and I therefore never missed a single payment.

I have tried to call your office but each time it is engaged and I am again charged for another phone call.

I am quite furious that I have received this damning notice demand and your threat to start legal action and I fully expect an explanation by return.

Yours sincerely

...I await their reply, in the meantime I am going to send a copy to my local MP as I am worried that some vulnerable people might actually end up paying these charges!
  • vixi66
    vixi66 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Best to ignore these blackmailers, I can prove i paid my last and final bill to 3 mobile so i found all these goings on very odd,
    Are they just chasing anyone who had a 3 mobile ?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    IVA was the best thing we ever did_party_
    Shopping was my worst addiction:o and hiding the debts was the worst guilt ever
    Hoping to be debt free in 2015 :T
    I have to keep telling myself "I'm not a bad person for having debt":A and nobody is going to come and get me !:eek:
  • vixi66
    vixi66 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Yes i have had a letter today from Red saying i owe £11 ....WOW !!
    These proposed debts cost the Red agency just 10p for every £20 debt to buy !!
    And yet with most people there is no debt to settle..
    Somebody get onto the press....
    This has to stop......
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    IVA was the best thing we ever did_party_
    Shopping was my worst addiction:o and hiding the debts was the worst guilt ever
    Hoping to be debt free in 2015 :T
    I have to keep telling myself "I'm not a bad person for having debt":A and nobody is going to come and get me !:eek:
  • Hello all and thanks for this great web resource,

I am, sadly, also prey to '3'/Lowell's scheme and in the process of clearing up what I believe is a mistake on their behalf. I followed rog2's advice
    rog2 wrote: »

and sent '3' an SAR asking for all the information they hold on me. I did this not least because I believe I have paid off my account (which also shows up as being satisfied on my Equifax credit report) and disposed of all paper bills after cancelling and paying the (again, what I believe to be) final bill -- this was back in January 2006.

Lowell are asking for £27.58 which is not the world to me, but strangely the exact same figure shows up on my bank statement of Jan 06. Coincidence?

Today I received a pretty short reply (containing what I like to call 'non-information'). Disappointingly, it did not acknowledge my SAR *at all* but instead read like this:

Dear Mr XXX

As you haven't paid us for your last few bills, we had to pass your account to Lowell Portfolio Capital Limited. They'll be collecting the outstanding amount from you.

If you've got any questions please contact them using the details below.

[same details as in Lowell's letter]

I hope this information helps.

[At this I actually choked on my biscuit]

Yours sincerely
    [3 Customer Services chick]

Now well, fair enough if they have passed/sold my whole account/details to some rogue 3rd party company, but my question now is as follows:

Who is responsible for providing the SAR - '3' or Lowell? Should I send '3' another letter insisting on the SAR or send Lowell an SAR letter? Either way, I need copies of the bills in dispute; ultimately I don't really care who sends them, although I do prefer getting them from '3'.

Thanks in advance for your help, and good luck to y'all.

Jay
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    By law, Lowell have 40 days to provide the SAR you paid for - did they return the payment to you? Did you send the letter by recorded delivery (and checked the royal mail website for confirmation)?

The information commissioners office has an leaflet on SAR's
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_-_guide_for_data_subjects.pdf

In some cases it may be possible to claim compensation if your interests suffer due to this breach - i douby this will happen in this case but you can definately get the ICO on to them after the 40 days have passed.

Edit: You were not asking them for details of what is happeneing with the debt, but were making a request under the Data Protection Act to find out what information they hold on you. The clock is ticking.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills