Confusion about VAT and products for the disabled.

Hi all,

I have received a disabled student assessment [DSA] from the government regarding equipment I need for my degree.

It has been a long saga but currently i'm in the position where I have found a company to complete the work and provide me with the invoice to send to the team to be processed. [so they can right off the money as spent legitimately].

Basically this small company have received advice from there accountant that[FONT=&quot] regarding the VAT if the item is specifically designed for use by a disabled person then no VAT is chargeable (the invoice is zero rated). So they shouldn't charge me VAT.

Now the invoice from the original company that were going to do the work [they tendered an invoice to the Government as part of the assessment process] included VAT.

So now i'm confused, obviously this is being done as part of a DSA for a disabled student but as far as proving i'm "officially disabled" whatever that means, how would that work? Is it necessary?

Really confused about what this company is saying and what the 'official company' has shown in their invoice! Any help appreciated.

[FONT=&quot]I am aware that disabled equipment is zero rated on VAT but surely that doesn't include the whole PC just individual relevant software?[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Comments

• Lafuma
    Lafuma Posts: 23 Forumite
    eskimo26 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have received a disabled student assessment [DSA] from the government regarding equipment I need for my degree.

It has been a long saga but currently i'm in the position where I have found a company to complete the work and provide me with the invoice to send to the team to be processed. [so they can right off the money as spent legitimately].

Basically this small company have received advice from there accountant that[FONT=&quot] regarding the VAT if the item is specifically designed for use by a disabled person then no VAT is chargeable (the invoice is zero rated). So they shouldn't charge me VAT.

Now the invoice from the original company that were going to do the work [they tendered an invoice to the Government as part of the assessment process] included VAT.

So now i'm confused, obviously this is being done as part of a DSA for a disabled student but as far as proving i'm "officially disabled" whatever that means, how would that work? Is it necessary?

Really confused about what this company is saying and what the 'official company' has shown in their invoice! Any help appreciated.

[FONT=&quot]I am aware that disabled equipment is zero rated on VAT but surely that doesn't include the whole PC just individual relevant software?[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Presumably, based on the advice your supplier's accountant has provided that supplier (I'm not sure how you came by that information, but not to worry) then the supplier will not be charging you any extra for VAT.

Don't worry about anything else - it's not your concern :)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    eskimo26 wrote: »
    ...[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]I am aware that disabled equipment is zero rated on VAT but surely that doesn't include the whole PC just individual relevant software?[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

I believe so.

Relief is available on products 'designed or adapted for the disabled'. An off the shelf PC wouldn't count but "computer software designed specifically for disabled people" does.

http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/types-of-student/disabled-students/vat-reliefs-for-disabled-and-older-people
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    I believe so.

Relief is available on products 'designed or adapted for the disabled'. An off the shelf PC wouldn't count but "computer software designed specifically for disabled people" does.

http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/types-of-student/disabled-students/vat-reliefs-for-disabled-and-older-people

It's a custom built pc but not all of it is adapted for disabled use, I mean I could purchase an off the shelf pc and install the zero vat software myself and it will be no different.

But who am I to second guess an accountant right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure