Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you seem the type who would never be happy TBH
    you ordered items and they arrived on the stated day.split consignments happen
    unless you pay for a timed delivery then you need to be able to cover the whole working day(long for couriers)

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense (and perhaps one of the reasons Royal Mail's in the mess that it's in). Customers should be able to rely on all deliveries from one carrier coming at the same time - timed delivery or not. If carriers can't manage that (and Yodel seems to be about the only one that can't) they shouldn't be in business.

If there are enough complaints about Yodel to companies that use them (and Yodel's appalling reputation is spreading fast), the better companies will just ditch them - and I hope that happens soon.

Yodel don't deserve to be in business, and at this rate they may not be for long.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2011 at 9:17AM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's utter nonsense (and perhaps one of the reasons Royal Mail's in the mess that it's in). Customers should be able to rely on all deliveries from one carrier coming at the same time - timed delivery or not. If carriers can't manage that (and Yodel seems to be about the only one that can't) they shouldn't be in business.

If there are enough complaints about Yodel to companies that use them (and Yodel's appalling reputation is spreading fast), the better companies will just ditch them - and I hope that happens soon.

Yodel don't deserve to be in business, and at this rate they may not be for long.

look at the tracking times
    the 1st package was on the van before 7am
    you have little idea of what goes on as companies cut costs to try and keep contracts
    joe public wants cheap carriers.companies push those carriers to cut their prices
    this has to have an impact on service
    just look on this thread at someone who thinks less than £4 for next day delivery is a large amount to pay

interesting you malign RM and the 'state' its in
    when the old system had packages going out on separate van/foot deliveries whereas the new system has them on one single duty.
    care to explain that one since you have the answers?
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options

If you pay for next day delivery, thats what you get.There's no promise of time or that all the order will arrive together.The obligation is to attempt it next working day.If you pay for next day delivery with a timeslot then the same applies and if Yodel split the delivery and one part arrives late then they have failed and you would be entitles to your(part/all) of your money back.
    Believe me, they will not want to split the delivery as it will end up costing them more to deliver it than they are being paid to do so , taking away scarce resources but sometimes with the best will in the world this still happens.

I don't think people appreciate the scale of the operation and how much work is being done in the 24 hour operation at each site.Nor, how if you search any delivery company they will all have thousands of complaints as you are much more likely to post this than praise a company.We generally remember the bad experiences with firms more than the good.
    For example, I worked yesterday and there was maybe 40-50 parcels that were due on saturday and had paid for that service.The rest I delivered were due next week so those customers got a better than expected service and many made comments that they were glad I was early as they would have been out in the week(begs the question "why order for that day then?").I don't expect a single one of them will make a post about that but if I deliver 1 late parcel through no fault of my own you'd think I had mugged their blind granny.

BTW Yodel is the old HDNL, its the same firm, using the same staff with a slice of DHL added in.However, Yodel have made huge redundancies recently and are making even more in the new year in favour of self employed service providers.This isn't because they aren't happy with the employed drivers, they just don't like the contracts they have and would prefer a workforce with no holidays, no sick pay, no rights etc.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    look at the tracking times
    the 1st package was on the van before 7am
    you have little idea of what goes on as companies cut costs to try and keep contracts
    joe public wants cheap carriers.companies push those carriers to cut their prices
    this has to have an impact on service
    just look on this thread at someone who thinks less than £4 for next day delivery is a large amount to pay

interesting you malign RM and the 'state' its in
    when the old system had packages going out on separate van/foot deliveries whereas the new system has them on one single duty.
    care to explain that one since you have the answers?

My comment about Royal Mail relates mainly to the 'customer service doesn't matter' attitude displayed by many of its staff. Yodel have the same approach.

I accept that it's difficult for carriers to make money, but if they can't manage it, they don't deserve to be in business. Customers matter - and if customers don't like the service they're getting (and they don't) Yodel will go under.

Look at MFI, for example - lousy customer service, collapsed business. Comet - lousy customer service, huge losses. Compare that with John Lewis.

The customer is king (or queen) - look after them or go under.
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    My comment about Royal Mail relates mainly to the 'customer service doesn't matter' attitude displayed by many of its staff. Yodel have the same approach.

I accept that it's difficult for carriers to make money, but if they can't manage it, they don't deserve to be in business. Customers matter - and if customers don't like the service they're getting (and they don't) Yodel will go under.

Look at MFI, for example - lousy customer service, collapsed business. Comet - lousy customer service, huge losses. Compare that with John Lewis.

True yes, but then you pay a premium to get the better service.Thats fine, I will often shop in one supermarket over another and pay extra because they have wider isles so you aren't bustled about.If I shop at the cheaper supermarket though, I don't have the same expectations.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

the customer is the sender
    its them that are calling the shots(mainly relating to prices)
    the whole market is being pushed down to the tightest margins
    back in the day(hovis music) RM had contingency duties to cover mistakes.
    so offices were clear every day.
    a van would be sent miles to ensure a missorted SD item made its time
    now its a case of doing what you can with what you have.
    how many times do you hear people whine about how late their mail is?
  • Doc_N
    Options

BTW Yodel is the old HDNL, its the same firm, using the same staff with a slice of DHL added in.However, Yodel have made huge redundancies recently and are making even more in the new year in favour of self employed service providers.This isn't because they aren't happy with the employed drivers, they just don't like the contracts they have and would prefer a workforce with no holidays, no sick pay, no rights etc.

Don't get me wrong - my complaints aren't aimed at the drivers. I know how little they're getting paid, and I know they're doing their level best in difficult circumstances.

My grievance is with the management. They don't have a clue, they've completely fouled up what was a reliable business in DHL, and now we're left with a shambolic mess in the merged Yodel.

Customers are being shafted, drivers are being shafted, and the directors should be ashamed of the mess they've created. But they'll be fine - and doubtless with performance bonuses.
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    Well the ex HDNL drivers can actually earn a decent wage if they work hard, much more than the ex DHL drivers that are now part of Yodel.This is refleced in the fact that out of 45 depots closing, over 30 of them are ex HDNL sites.

I don't know much about the ex DHL side of the business other than it was loss making and more geared up for business and more time sensitive deliveries which Yodel isn't really geared up to having long been established in home delivery.

Directors seem to change with the wind and with them come "great" new ideas.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    lexuslass wrote: »
    I can see what you are saying... but Yodel are basically.... pants!!!

I have used very for years .. they have always (until recently..last few weeks!) used HDNL.. they were great... I emphasise my earlier point . that I could always rely on the same delivery guy being here between 10.30 and 11 am!

To be honest, I couldn't give a cr*p what the delivery company gets charged... I want my parcel!!!! if it's coming on Friday, then I want it on friday...all together... not in itty bitty pieces!!!!

If I was waiting for a new fridge freezer to be delivered, then I would be prepared to wait in all day... but for two pairs of bloody boots and a coat??????????? (offended custardy already with my 'overuse of ???).

To have to 'expect' two deliveries at uncertain times? well, very are going to lose a lot of business from me!

Oh and gardner1 ......very don't offer the choice of using UPS!!

If you dont like the the service shop elsewhere,years ago i ordered a new tv was told it was being delivered by Amtrak.As i worked for them at the time and didint fancy the idea of being thrown dropped and late delivered.
    Complained to company told if they delivered by UPS i would buy it at £800 they said no i found same tv elsewhere delivered by UPS £810 £10 more but delivered on time/with care and a phone call from driver
  • Doc_N
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    If you dont like the the service shop elsewhere,years ago i ordered a new tv was told it was being delivered by Amtrak.As i worked for them at the time and didint fancy the idea of being thrown dropped and late delivered.
    Complained to company told if they delivered by UPS i would buy it at £800 they said no i found same tv elsewhere delivered by UPS £810 £10 more but delivered on time/with care and a phone call from driver

Sound advice.

I complained to the supplier about Yodel, and they were more than happy to note the account that Yodel weren't to be used for future deliveries. They'd heard no end of complaints from customers about Yodel, and were considering dropping them altogether because of the damage Yodel are doing to their hard-earned reputation - a fair-sized, well-known company, too.

I now avoid any company using Yodel or Parcelforce, find an alternative (almost always possible) and tell the other company why I haven't made the purchase from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure