PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• Thanks re the PAX info. They'll be for my master bedroom, but I'm also buying new Hemnes spare bedroom furniture to go with my Hemnes daybed spare bed (bought second hand but good condition a few months ago for £75...would have been £389 new!!). So I'm going to get it all delivered for £35. I'll have them delivered and put them up before I move in so the bedroom will be otherwise empty making them easier to put up. Ceiling heights are relatively low so having the shorter ones.

I really wanted the sugared glass light fittings from Next for my living room but the 8 light ceiling light and 5 light floor lamp were £100 each! But my friend got a Next VIP slot last week and got them both for me for £99 total, saving me £101! Yay!
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We're going for a "pre plaster" inspection on Friday. Basically a tour of the house to see the location of cabling and pipework before the plasterboards go up. Very excited!

Will be taking plenty of photographs :D
  • peld
    peld Posts: 57 Forumite
    probably the right place to ask this:

Did anyone challenge the new build contract/offer to sell? (and successfully?

We got our Offer to Sell from CALA and I think there are a number of clauses I think are completely unreasonable. e.g. no compensation if they fail to deliver by the longstop completion and we need to withdraw, if we pull out prior to sale we pay 5% interest on the price PLUS any shortfall on the resale price etc.

Our solicitor has just basically said "this is normal, suck it up", and seemingly wont even challenge. I'm raging. FYI I review and negotiate a lot of contracts in my line of work (albeit from an operational/commercial perspective) so I know what im looking at.

I'd also add that our house is built and complete, it was actually on the market for a while for a new build, and as we are part-exing, CALA has already shelled out for EA/surveys on our property.
  • peld wrote: »
    probably the right place to ask this:

Did anyone challenge the new build contract/offer to sell? (and successfully?

We got our Offer to Sell from CALA and I think there are a number of clauses I think are completely unreasonable. e.g. no compensation if they fail to deliver by the longstop completion and we need to withdraw, if we pull out prior to sale we pay 5% interest on the price PLUS any shortfall on the resale price etc.

Our solicitor has just basically said "this is normal, suck it up", and seemingly wont even challenge. I'm raging. FYI I review and negotiate a lot of contracts in my line of work (albeit from an operational/commercial perspective) so I know what im looking at.

I'd also add that our house is built and complete, it was actually on the market for a while for a new build, and as we are part-exing, CALA has already shelled out for EA/surveys on our property.

Our lawyer is in the process of challenging our contract with Wimpey. He's successfully argued for the long-stop date to come forward to align with our mortgage expiry and HTB expiry. It is do-able, but not every lawyer may be willing to push back on it.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • We have a long stop date in ours. But I don't think we get compensation if we pull out after that date, just lose no money. I was happy with that!
  • Arlo
    Arlo Posts: 27 Forumite
    I would like to join, today we have reserved a property at a Taylor Wimpey site, we managed 10k worth of extras & 1% fees paid. We originally wanted all our stamp duty but Our mortgage is with the Halifax and they only accept 1% when used with htb

The house is ready in 6 weeks �� It has already had 6k of extras added such as double hob, kitchen upgrade, tiles in the hall, shower in main bathroom, rear turf, all the kitchen appliances are included & integrated, not sure what else. Will have to ask tomorrow when we go to do the paperwork.
    The house is quite high spec anyway including
    Downlighters to kitchen & all bathrooms
    Under unit lighting in kitchen
    Fitted wardrobes to master
    Chrome towel rails
    Tiles to kitchen & utility
    Front garden turfed
    Outside tap etc

We had an appointment at 11am when they opened, had a look around the actual house, everyone tells us not to be so impulsive so we went to the local for lunch & to discuss it, when we went back an hour later the plot we wanted had been sold! They asked us if they could get us into any others but we really wanted that plot, 4 hours later the sales advisor rang us to say we could have it if we were still interested, the other people were a part exchange and seeing we have sold & in rented we are in a better position plus the house is almost complete & we are able to compete quickly. Apparently they have moved the other people to another plot, with some good incentives i am sure.

I did want granite worktops, upgraded kitchen etc but seeing as they have already put the kitchen in we can not change it, luckily they have put the same kitchen as I would have picked in, a big double gas hob & we actually like all the floor tiles so it's. it a big issue.
  • I went back in my house again yesterday yay! Kitchen, bathroom, downstairs loo, radiators, boiler, skirting boards, door architraves, light switches and plug sockets all in!

Still to paint, put appliances in kitchen, flooring and carpets, patio slabs, driveway and front garden landscaping.

I noticed a few minor upgrades were missing...two additional plug sockets and a shaver socket in the bathroom but they're going to sort them. They've also put up a shower curtain rail in the bathroom when I paid for a shower screen, so they're going to sort that.

My only concern, that I forgot to mention but will ring them next week about, is the tiling around the corner sink in the downstairs loo. The tiles don't quite reach the end of each side of the sink. I assumed they would/should be the full length of each side of the sink but they come a couple of inches short. Is this normal or should I be asking them to retile it?

Still looking at completion end of October which is exciting!
  • Hi,

I'd like to join this thread!
    We reserved our 3 bed London flat with Taylor Wimpey back in September and due to exchange end of October. Completion date is March.

At the moment I seem to be drowning in paperwork from the solicitors and mortgage advisors but I am really looking forward to the options meeting later this month. We have integrated appliances included but get to upgrade the kitchen and flooring is not included.

Everyone else's journeys sound very exciting!
  • swishy87
    swishy87 Posts: 199 Forumite
    We are also still on for 28th October. Our carpets are meant to be getting fitted next week and we are expecting a home tour soon. Our road is now open so I can get up to the house. Very pleased with the size of the garden but already noticed stuff on the outside I need to tell them about. Chipped stone sills, pit of line stone sills, chip out of bay window frame.etc. Hoping we don't get into an argument about it all.
  • ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    I am happy to finally join this thread. My OH and I reserved our house on 1 September. It is due to be completed End of February (hopefully there are no delays). I am so excited but February seems so long away! So now it's just a waiting game. Went to see the house last week and it's starting to come along...it is very exciting seeing it grow!

Look forward to going in to choose our options now....hopefully that will be sometimes soon.

Swishy87 - not long to go now....The wait must have been worth it :)
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport