The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Filling out Form MI 12

gsdgeorge
gsdgeorge Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 21 May 2009 at 11:10AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi

Could somebody please answer

Having trouble filling out this form!

I have been given a MI 12 mortgage interest form as I am on a joint claim for JSA income based. I remortgaged to my lender 2yrs ago. how far back do I need to go with details as I originally bought my 1999.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You only need to put the details of your current mortgage down as this is what the interest payment is based on. So only the last 2 yrs is relevent.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • zappster1966
    zappster1966 Posts: 591 Forumite
    Correct me if I'm wrong ... am always happy to fall on my sword.
    cattie wrote: »
    You only need to put the details of your current mortgage down as this is what the interest payment is based on. So only the last 2 yrs is relevent.

Apologies for butting in but I'm wondering if that's entirely the case.

You're right to say for the OP to complete the forms with the current lender details, mortgage account number etc. The lender will complete the rest of the form but they should also flag this one as a re-mortgage case.

By doing so the DWP will make more inquiries of the OP regarding the original mortgage.

If it's a straight change of lender for the purposes of securing a better interest rate then the OP should be fine. However if it's a re-mortgage with additional borrowing the DWP may limit their help to that of the first mortgage ... plus any additional lending used for the purpose of making vital improvements to his/her home.

Like I say, apologies if the rules have changed recently & if I haven't kept up to speed. But I think the way I've mentioned is how DWP will proceed.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    I dont know uch about mortgage help but I do know that redemption certificates are at least sometimes asked for where there has been a remortgage. Like Zappster says though - its ususally when the MI12 comes back from the lender that that happens.
  • deb0020
    deb0020 Posts: 191 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2009 at 1:17PM
    gsdgeorge wrote: »
    Hi

Could somebody please answer

Having trouble filling out this form!

I have been given a MI 12 mortgage interest form as I am on a joint claim for JSA income based. I remortgaged to my lender 2yrs ago. how far back do I need to go with details as I originally bought my 1999.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

You do not have to give more than the basic information on the MI12. The mortgage section for JSA will write out to you and ask for more information. They will need to know the original amount used to purchase the property and why you remortgaged. If you remortgaged for more money they will need to know what the money was for.

If you can give all the information on the MI12 it will make processing your mortgage a lot quicker as they will then not need to contact you (unless there is other info required eg joint mortgagee who is not a partner or Mortgage protection policy in payment)

The original amount used to purchase the property is allowable up to £100,000.00/£200,000.00 (depending on whether you come under old rules or new rules).
    Also certain home improvements are allowed. Others are not.

Link to the regs:-

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/dmg/pdf/ch23.pdf

see 23575 part 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills