Upto £250 discount at BG or Npower if you get DLA or Carers/Attendance Allowance

I got this through the post today in my Carers Newsletter:

"As fuel costs are continuing to rise at an alarming rate, some good news has finally been announced by both British Gas & NPower.
To qualify for up to £250 discount you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits, Attandance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Carers Allowance.
Other benefits may also qualify, more information on numbers below:

British Gas Essentials Tariff 0800 072 7100
NPower Spreading Warmth Tariff 0800 975 1373

Eon have a CaringEnergy scheme running which is aimed at older people and is called "Staywarm/Age Concern Tariff"
For further details call 0800 051 1480"

Hope this helps?

I am now going to price up my savings if I switch to BG or NP as Eon have no tariff for disability benefits. Will update you when I find out.
:A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40

Comments

• 9ine
    9ine Posts: 28 Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    I got this through the post today in my Carers Newsletter:

"As fuel costs are continuing to rise at an alarming rate, some good news has finally been announced by both British Gas & NPower.
    To qualify for up to £250 discount you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits, Attandance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Carers Allowance.
    Other benefits may also qualify, more information on numbers below:

British Gas Essentials Tariff 0800 072 7100
    NPower Spreading Warmth Tariff 0800 975 1373

Eon have a CaringEnergy scheme running which is aimed at older people and is called "Staywarm/Age Concern Tariff"
    For further details call 0800 051 1480"

Hope this helps?

I am now going to price up my savings if I switch to BG or NP as Eon have no tariff for disability benefits. Will update you when I find out.

Nice find thanks and keep us posted :T
  • Thanks for that, we have just changed over to Eon, just my luck! wonder when we can change back again.
  • This is for help with loft/cavity insulation if you own your own home, not for council tenants etc, as i enquired about a month ago. I called again today and was told the same thing, as BG had quite a few phone calls from people thinking this was to save money on there bill
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was given to understand that BG essential tariff ended some time ago

I got this confirmed by 3 BG employees

The reason I know was because I was suppose to be registered in July for it and got told that I would not receive any increase until April 09.

Well BG never registered me for it, and because they had no record they couldn't do anything. I complained again to them and still got they cant do anything.

I then looked for BG essential tariff on net and found a tel number of them and it said essential but the number is transferred to another department.

I found on my phone number records the number I rang which confirmed at least I did ring them in July and now I am on it.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    I have just had two replies from this post that I put on the disability forum which may prove helpful....

I just rang British Gas and they do have a special Tariff as stated above, I froze my Gas and electricity some time ago which is apparently of more benefit to me than going on Tariff.The chap was really nice and said it is worth checking from time to time because if ever prices drop they would let me change to lower Tariff. He has also noted my special needs so that if ever I was without gas or electricity due to a cut or something I would get priority.He also offered to add a special password to my account so that if anyone called saying they were from B.G. they would have to give this password as well as show their I.D.So its worth a ring.

BG do still have the essentials tariff, but getting any sensible information from CS is a losing battle. Also be aware that the tariff id discounted against its standard tariff, not against the online click energy 6, which is cheaper. So they are no longer allowed to call the Essentials tariff a 'social energy tariff' - which might have been what you asked for?
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family