Best way to sell house furniture?

Hi

Im hoping someone can bring me some new ideas. Im moving to a smaller new house from my older style house(double the size). But i have this furniture to sell as it wont fit in my new house. Its all good stuff ( hense the debt, my ex just brought anything he wanted).

Ive tried the freeads in the paper, freeads online and the paper but no luck. On ebay people keep winning the bids then pulling put before paying! No reason but changed their minds! I move in 2 weeks and dont knwo what to do.

Ive got to get rid of a large corner sofa, a superkingsize bed and 2 really tall Ikea pax wardrobes? Does anyone know much about gumtree?
£2 Savers club £0/£150
1p a day £/

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    try the local supermarket free notice boards.
    be aware that modern SH furniture brings very low prices, generally.
    Get some gorm.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    https://www.friday-ad.co.uk - free adverts for local edition and internet.

Liz
    xx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    You will not get anything close to what you paid new I'm afraid, especially the soft furnishings. It doesn't matter that they may be as good as new.

One route that has worked well for us in the past is the auction houses. There will be auctions in your area that are better suited to modern furniture. It's all a question of finding the right one.

When we disposed of my late mother's estate we found one auction house nearby that would take almost anything and turn it into cash. I was amaized at what we got rid of for seemingly good money. There was stuff that I was prepared to throw out but thought I would pass by them first. They disposed of anything from boxes of kitchen utensils to cheap well thumbed paperbacks. We realised we were onto a good thing and cleared out some of our own tat through this guy, as we had to make room for some of the nice pieces coming our way from my mother's house.

Do your homework well and you never know you may stike lucky.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Auctions are generally the best place for good quality furniture but if the stuff you have isn't that well made (mass produced, flat pack self-assembly type stuff, DFS sofas etc.) you might be better off with small ads like Loot, AdTrader, FridayAd. Also you could put an ad in your local paper, newsagents window etc. Don't expect to get too much back on it especially if it is just IKEA type stuff. That sort of thing isn't built to last so it doesn't hold its value well.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ive sold SH leather sofas ok, (with some wear too).
    but the SH fabric ones dont sell at all well.
    SH flat pack is virtually worthless. brings a few quid if yur lucky.
    Get some gorm.
  • In my opinion since we are in economic downturn it is hard to sell a second hand furniture, other prioritize to buy a brand new.
  • Have a look for cheapcycle in your area (yahoo group like freecycle) as everyone says furniture especially modern flatpack stuff doesnt fetch much money at the moment theres always folks on the lookout for cheap furniture on my local cheapcycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure