Travel Insurance for Specific Conditions

Options

Comments

• kazzy
    kazzy Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Have been ringing thousands of insurance companies to get my 70 year old mother covered.She was diagnosed with angina 5 years ago and this year has bee diagnosed with osteoporosis.No broken bones but vertebrale fractures.Anyway some co.s wouldn't touch her, a lot would cover her but not forthose conditions(no point in having it then).M&S wanted £900,Saga wanted £464,Freedom wanted £411.All for a single trip but medical conditions covered.
    Anyway about to give up and then phoned the PRU......WOW £185 for ANNUAL insurance. Brilliant.Just thought I'd let u know!!
    I want money..........that's what I want !!:j
  • harryc_3
    harryc_3 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    hi there looking for best place for travel insurance for a diabetic...

Ive booked a family trip today to florida next year but had to decline the travles agents cheapish offer of travel insurance for the family since i am diabetic ...controlled by diet..

this will be first holiday since i was diagnosed and wonder if anyone can recommend best place for travel insurance and the likely cost for a fAMILY OF 3 MYSELF 40 MY WIFE 41 AND A 10 YEAR OLD ...

cheers

harryc
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    try traveldiabetic.co.uk
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter is a diabetic and has travelled with us for several years on the family annual insurance. All they require is notifictaion that she is a travelling and that she is currently suffering no abnormal problems with her condition. No extra charge or penalties
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi harryc
    I have merged your thread here to aid future searches.
    Thanks
    savvy
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Liverbird
    Liverbird Posts: 3,130 Forumite
    Options
    Hope I am posting this in the right section!

I am finding it difficult getting a reasonable insurance quote for a 2 week holiday to Orlando in September.
    I had breast cancer....diagnosed 11/9/03......chemo and treatment finished last June, I am on Tamoxifen for 5 years. I have asthma, which, touch wood, is pretty much well controlled. No hospital visits for it in the last 10 years.
    I was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes 3 weeks ago. I just take Metformin tablets for this.....with no problems.
    I was covered by Marks and Spencer last year for the same holiday, for £65 for myself and my partner (He also has tablet controlled Type II diabetes). I have called them today and asked for a quote, honestly declared all my medical history, and have been told due to new medical screening scoring I am not eligible for cover.

Can anybody point me in the direction of some travel insurance please?

Thanx
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Try this link:

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=4343#company

The page-bottom has some insurance companies you could approach

Good luck!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    try https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk or Columbus Direct on 0800 083 9503, let us know how you get on! Have a good trip!
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • Liverbird
    Liverbird Posts: 3,130 Forumite
    Options
    All clear just quoted me £1400!! :eek: I asked them if they could exclude the breast cancer and diabetes....just be covered in the unlikely even I have trouble with my asthma.....no chance there, it was all or nothing. So I would have to go uncovered with a premium of £73.10.....which is still a bit steep.
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    it is expensive, probably due to your destination - medical costs in the US are phenomenal, so any treatment is going to come out v pricey. As with most types of insurance ultimately you've got to decide how much of a risk you want to take and what cover you are prepared to pay for...you dont have to have any cover at all if you dont want...

The post office ( 'You must phone the Post Office™ Medical Screening Line on 08701 212 962 quoting Scheme code PTS1' - copied from their FAQ's) used to be good for medical conditions too, particually if there hadnt been a change in your condition for 6 months (IIRC), I dont know if they still are but they're worth a go.

Another option would be medi-cover (https://www.medi-cover.co.uk)...
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure