IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Should I pay..Civil Enforcement Ltd?

I got a ticket in this morning from Civil Enforcement Ltd saying I had a parking charge of £40 (if paid within 14 days or £70 after that!!) They say I was parked over the allowed time (3 hours) and they had photographic proof but I had to pay £10 to get it??
I live in Scotland and this company is in Liverpool. I was parked at the Rivergate retail park in Irvine Scotland for no more that 2 1/2 hours, Im positive of this as I had to be back to get the kids form school. Im worried about appealing incase it goes over the 14 days then the amount goes up.
Is a Civil charge the same as Law enforcement, what will happen if I dont pay it.
I dont have a spare £10 for the pic let a lone £40. any advice is apreciated.
:santa2::xmastree::santa2:

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    A civil charge is a civil matter for the county courts (not a criminal one for the magistrates courts).

Ignore the letter completely, don't respond or appeal.

For definitive advice go to the pepipoo site.
  • na, send em nothing
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    How do they have your details?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    How do they have your details?

I take it they have gone through the DVLA, I didnt think this was allowed?
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i also believe that you can argue that the "contract" agreed to by parking is between them and the driver. The driver is not necessarily the owner.
    That being the case, you can instruct them to prove who was the driver and provide all of their details to confirm they know who the driver is. They'll obviously be unable to do this and the case then falls apart.

But as someone said, try pepipoo for further info.

Incidentally, i'd send them nothing.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • We've just had a similar ticket relating to parking at Kinnaird Park, Edinburgh.

We've decided to ignore it and see what happens, similar to the rest of the advice above.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • Quentin
    You need to stare them out - their letters become more and more threatening. Just bin them.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Quentin wrote: »
    You need to stare them out - their letters become more and more threatening. Just bin them.

With ever more bold print and EVEN on different coloured paper.

I personally wouldn't bin them, though. Keep them somewhere safe.

Just be happy that you have cost them £2.50 to get your details from the DVLA (which they are allowed to do - the DVLA will release them to anyone who has cause to request them).
  • gsmmad
    gsmmad Posts: 416 Forumite
    i would actually suggest a different approach. Go on websites where they deal with things like this all the time. they will give u templates of letters to send off which is the best thing to do.

I got one of these i ignored it and i am now passed down to newlyn or something a baliff company who havent tried anything but send me letters. I got 2 so far in the last year. I am going to write them a couple of letters if i get another letter but its not a good fealing being passed down to a baliff company.
  • Quentin
    If you don't acknowledge them in any way they cannot hassle you personally. The bailiff companies are usually all part of the same operation, and won't be court appointed bailiffs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure