bank transfer - can it be cancelled?

Last Friday i did a transfer to pay off a loan for my mum to stop her being evicted. She has not (will not) fill in the relevant forms for the court to halt the eviction, which will still take place even if the debt has been paid off, as it clearly states in a letter she has had. If she still will not fill in the form can I ask for the money to be sent back?
I never imagined it would be so DIFFICULT to help someone.
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Has the payment definitely gone out or is it still pending? If the latter, you should be able to cancel it online but it may be too late to stop if you do not have online banking.

I don't know if you can recall the payment. Hopefully someone else will be along that can answer the question.

Where is she expecting to live if she is evicted?
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Last Friday i did a transfer to pay off a loan for my mum to stop her being evicted. She has not (will not) fill in the relevant forms for the court to halt the eviction, which will still take place even if the debt has been paid off, as it clearly states in a letter she has had. If she still will not fill in the form can I ask for the money to be sent back?
    I never imagined it would be so DIFFICULT to help someone.

I bank with Smile and I have found you can cancel a BACS payment with them providing it hasn't left your account yet. You have to do it on the telephone. I am not sure if this would be the same for other banks.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is a CHAPS transfer. She is going to live on the banks of 'de nial' somewhere near cloud cuckoo land I think :(
    She will not apply for housing 'just in case' because she knows someone who works for the local housing dept. and is too embarassed. :rolleyes: I want to scream.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CHAPS transfers are same day transfers so I think the only option is to ask the bank whether it can be recalled but I have had a Google and from the results of that, it really looks like you cannot recall these payments.

As she has failed to take action which could conceivably prevented her eviction, I suspect she will be deemed to have made herself intentionally homeless and therefore not eligible for housing by the council anyway.
  • If it has already left your account (and chaps is meant to be same day transfer) then the answer is no.
    You could of course ask the beneficiary to return the money to you but in the circumstance do you think that is feasible?
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I spose if they reposess the house they don't really need my money. Watch this space! Apparently my sis and I are cruel for 'forcing her' (her words not mine) to go to the court. :rolleyes:
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    For CHAPS, very unlikely to be able to recall it now.

One of the points of CHAPS is that the money received is "cleared funds", which implies that once it has arrived there is no way to claw it back. This is why CHAPS is used for paying for houses (although conveyancers seem to call it "telegraphic transfer" for some reason), where you want to be sure that once the money is in your account you have complete control over it and nobody is gonna take it back from you.

Still, I would hope you can get it back by talking to the payee since it appears the payment has no bearing whatsoever on the outcome.

Hope you get it sorted. It sometimes seems inexplicable when people refuse help, but if there's anything guaranteed to make people behave irrationally, it's money.
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    money or so called 'pride' :rolleyes:
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors