Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have been with Mum all day. Took her food shopping in Aldi, and then we went to B&M, followed by a visit to the charity shop and then we had lunch, and did her banking on the way back.
    I managed to get my self a food flask and some lunchbox boxes, all ready for me to start taking lunch with me instead of buying in the baguette shop.
    I also got a knitted dress for myself and a wet suit style costume for dgd , both from the charity shop. I am cold and tired and would love a hot bath but we have two little girls here playing with dgd so I will have to wait.
    Cooking Korean lamb chops from my simple cooking recipes. I hope I like it!
    Cup of tea time and feet up for 30 minutes I hope.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For some reason I was thinking about this again earlier today...
    Mooloo wrote: »
    BF would like another holiday somewhere but preferably not in the School holidays. That could be a tall order not doable as twin1 would need to come up here to stay rather then dgd going there. I am not sure that is possible this year as her BF is working part time now.
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    TBH, I think I'd just say to him "I'm sorry, I don't see how that can be possible at the moment because of DGD." How he reacts to that might give a clue to the extent of his change.
    And what I thought was that not only is this unlikely to be possible at the moment, but really, it's unlikely to be straightforward until DGD leaves school. And he needs to buy into that, doesn't he?

You don't have to come back to us on this: as I say it was just something which popped into my head. If adults have responsibility for children, we can't just 'park' them somewhere else during term-time just so that we can get a term-time holiday.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    For some reason I was thinking about this again earlier today...

And what I thought was that not only is this unlikely to be possible at the moment, but really, it's unlikely to be straightforward until DGD leaves school. And he needs to buy into that, doesn't he?

You don't have to come back to us on this: as I say it was just something which popped into my head. If adults have responsibility for children, we can't just 'park' them somewhere else during term-time just so that we can get a term-time holiday.

I would not park her again any time soon no matter what BF might want. I listened and then I just told him that it's not going to happen. I have also told him that if he doesn't go on holidays occasionally with dgd and myself she will think that he doesn't want her, which is exactly the opposite of the plan to be together. Dgd is non negotiable really. While I was sifting through my hundreds of emails I came accords a few summer holidays suggested with us all and sent him the info, and we also talked about his Daughter and DGD, and the fact that she wants a holiday too and we both know as a single Mum she's not likely to do it on her own, so I suggested that we looked at the possibility of all of us going somewhere and sharing the load, and that I know it would be cheaper in school time and they don't have to worry about that but I do so we will see.
    I have found that the best thing to do is tell him something and then leave it for him to think about.
    Eventually he tends to come back with what ever it is sometimes with the idea that it was his idea! I just let it go!
    It is still a little strange with him coming here on different days now, and thinking about dinner etc as he comes from work. I have also noticed that I really am not very Mrs Domesticated and do tend to flop down in my chair as soon as dinner is done. He hasn't said anything about it it is just me personally feeling rather inadequate. I am not Superwoman and I want to be!!
    I know that I keep saying that I am going to declutter and that I want to sort it out but we are at the end of January and I have not even started.
    On another note My Mum has paid me for her holiday and given me half of the Wedding Dress costs as her contribution to the Wedding. So I will be able to clear the card the holiday was on, and put the dress money back into my savings account. I am very lucky that she is able to help me, and still have plenty to save etc and spend as she wishes.

Time for work. I have about 12 jobs to do today.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news on the money from your mum & actually being able to clear the card.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    I couldn't get warm yesterday in the shop and it took me most of the evening under a blanket to at home. Although I sewed from 10-4, and only stopped for lunch for 15 minutes I struggled to sew 9 items., and £87 worth. I have put it down to the cold in my bones, slowing me down!, luckily ( or unlucky depending on how I look at it), there were only a few new jobs in, and no real money came in. Staff is not always getting the money upfront as I had hoped, I have noticed that unless the changes come from her they really don't get implemented long! She slips back into the old ways. I am putting it down to her age rather than bl00dy mindedness, but sometimes it does infuriate me. Little things like where she hangs up the finished jobs, and the order of them. She will keep moving them out of number sequence into. Her idea of order, like with like, but then when Saturday staff or I serve customers we are looking by invoice number and then can't find them. Mind you it doesn't help when a customer came to Collect her "burgundy " coat, which was actually deep purple, so deep that we originally thought it was black!. As the same week I had replaced a zip in a burgandy coat and it had been collected, it set in panic! Going by the invoice number, and it being in order would have helped ( at least to find the position of the garment)!
    I have again asked for work to be hung in number order!
    I ask a few things that I am noticing are not going quite to plan at the moment. I am also aware that now her daughter is setting up a little business she is dealing with orders, phone calls and even visitors about it while at my shop. I am going to have to tread carefully and be tactful but I don't want her to be concentrating on her daughters Business and letting mine slip. I am all for helping etc, infact I went through the lease for them, helped with a template for a business plan and a cash flow forecast, but I did that in my own time in the weekend.
    Anyway moaning over. I am going to try to get moving better today, although my priorities are setting up the workshops for tomorrow and preparing my presentation for them. The jobs in are all only Tues or Thursday, and so not priority today.
    On the home front I made a thick potato and carrot soup for last night and I am going to take it with me in my new soup mug today.
    I changed the bed and washed the bedding so while I am out inwill turn the bathroom back into a Chinese laundry!
    Dgd is having another Sleepover tonight, ( sure we never had such things when I was young), and so BF and I may go out for a drink this evening, although I am up at 6 to drive DS and BF is going to run a 5k in some park or other while I teach.
    the plan is for dgd and I to follow through to Oxford again in the evening and stay till Monday morning.
    That is the plan anyway!
  • bast
    bast Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2017 at 3:36PM
    As you know Mooloo I don`t ever comment but have followed you since you began your diary, however in this instance I thought I must write something.
    I find as a mum it is easy for children to be critical of their parents. In your case, as a single parent you have all the criticism placed on your shoulders as you were the one who was always there. They don`t blame your husband because they don`t know him he was never there for them. Of course you are not perfect,we make decisions that aren`t always right. But time and time again you demonstrate on your diary the love you share for your children, the help you give them all. Sometimes we do help one child over another. Not because you love that child anymore than the other, but purely because at that time that child needed you a little bit more.

At the moment it is your son who has needed the extra support, and again you have shown that you have been there for him. Your son is now a parent himself and although depression is a terrible thing. He needs (as does his girlfriend) to address his own shortcomings and be the responsible parent that you are. Only he can do this. Otherwise he will face the backlash of his own son when he is older. I would also like to ask where are the girls parents in all of this? Where is the help from them ?

You do a fantastic job with your granddaughter as you do with each of your children. You hold down the role of an employer setting up a new business which sounds like it is going from strength to strength. Our children will always try us, that`s what they are there for :D ..

On another matter the curtains have "made" the boat, we were unable to afford new windows, so the little beauties that you made us were perfect. They have kept out the worst of the wind and look gorgeous... thank you .. and chin up... I think you are doing great :)
    Wendy
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Oh dear Mooloo, I'm astonished that your Staff apparently thinks it's all right to be dealing with her daughter's business during the hours that you are paying her to be concentrating on yours :(
  • Savvy_sewing
    Thanks Bast!
    Glad the curtains are doing their job.
    Seems a long time ago since I made them!
    I am doing my best, at least DS is talking sort of now.

Ivyleaf, its not ideal, but I will pop down to the shop floor a little more often and keep her on task. Give an inch take a mile seems to come to mind.
    This week has been really quite poor cash flow wise, so I am £470 off of target! That's really one of the worst weeks. Although we still have tomorrow to go.
    I think it's the January end of the month low on money syndrome.
    We have had a few new people still saying that they didn't know we were there, or that we are new! When I say we have been there nearly 2 1/2 years they all look shocked!

Cooking meatballs and pasta for tea.
    Simple and warming.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You're probably right about the end of January, well January really. It's a long month and most people would expect to pay a deposit or something.

It's a long month from December pay, you're doing so well. Keep it up.

Have a relaxed, peaceful weekend, hope your bones feel better.

Don't know how much it would cost but could you take out a ad in a local paper or something similar, or gumtree. Or does the local area have a facebook group you could feature on. I know nothing about facebook only what I've been told heard. Just to let people know about you, you offer classes. At least if it was on a local facebook page it would be free. Sure you probably already are though. We're in a little village and they have one, my kids have told me, I don't bother with fb.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Yes there are several local Facebook pages. I try to get a mention on them when I can, most limit the amount of posts that you can make.
    I have my own Facebook page for the shop, and one for the Thermal cooking bags but I am not the best at social media, even though I manage to post here and have about 1,000 followers by the number of views that this gets! I just need 1000 followers on FB now!
    I am teaching Basic Level 1, Cushion covers today followed by the children's lesson so I am going to be very busy soon.
    I am trying not to panic that the money is very low this week, luckily I put money in the savings account so I will still be able to pay the wages, rent and HMRC but the accountant will have to wait till next week.
    I am sure when people have been paid they will be back in.
    I am still getting the odd people coming in asking me if I was new, or that they had only just noticed us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure