PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    I'm from a long line of home stitchers, as a teen I made most of my own clothes, mostly without patterns as I felt they were too limiting (this was my rebellious stage!). but I haven't made clothes for me for nearly 2 decades. much more home furnishings now, which is dull in comparison, but I embroider, quilt and mix textile arts, again without patterns. I'm teaching my eight year old and she is very creative with hand sewing and has just started on one of my machines making dolls clothes from her imagination. I've 5 sewing machines, all hand-me-downs, with the oldest a hand turned machine 100 years old, but i've never had one of the newer computerised ones, so my range of sewing in that way is quite limited, and I'm more expressive than perfectionist (most of my curtains have not been hemmed and I tend to fit things "by eye" and end up unpicking a lot! :S)

would be lovely to see any products that people have on the go
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • this is s better link for ottobre

click the magazine picture and then click the pdf link on the left, you will see all the patterns in the magazine
    https://www.ottobredesign.com/

I get mine from dots n stripes in the uk
  • I used to always do my cutting out on the floor! When I started sewing again after my years out I found I couldn`t do it this way anymore, kneeling for more than a few seconds I got pins & needles and crampy toes, then have to be helped up off the floor. I bought a decorators table (£10 from Wickes) that suits my needs perfectly.

Another thing I found that might be worth sharing here - in times past I`m sure that stuffing used to be cheaper, I was shocked at current prices. Last year one project was making Minions - inspired by cheap fleece fabric in blue and yellow....I found Asda Smart Price pillows at 2 for £3 great for stuffing, and made 6 large minions and a couple of rag dolls without breaking the bank.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I like this thread very much. Some of you may find this link useful:
    http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/

I think this thread, with its MSE focus, and posters who are familiar with the board's ethos is a good place to be. But on the sewing forum you will find a huge amount of technical know-how and very helpful people.
  • What a great thread!

I've always had a machine (Mum's old one) but it got broken in a house move. I bought a new one (Brother, cheapish model) that scared me to death! During the summer I decided to overcome my fears, read the manual and have been having a rare old time.

I've made some tote bags for Christmas presents and also some hot water bottle covers that look quilted - all from a book DD got as a present some years ago and never looked at. There was material in the book already cut out for a bag so that was a good start.

I'm now a bit stuck as I don't know how to put in a zip, I'm thinking of going to a sewing class to learn some new skills.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    WCS thank you for planting the seed about not having to quilt on a machine because I am now decided upon hand stitching hearts amongst my patches, all 190odd of them! Eeeek!

No but seriously, it means I can continue down the road in a self sufficient way and those feelings, amongst the hard graft and hopefully love and care, will make my quilt all the special. That's why I seek the advice from OS folk. They get it on more than just a practical level ;)

Q if I may?

Having watched youtube vids on hand quilting, it looks as if a thicker thread is used. Any suggestions on what would make a good hand quilters thread? Ta :)
  • Fuddle I agree - for me it's about using scraps, bits of clothing and other wee things I find, and hand quilting allows me to pick up and put down without any fuss - plus it's cosy on a winter's night - and of course you can be using the quilt as you quilt it - just pin with safety pins and pop it over your bed between stitching for extra warmth.

There are all sorts of threads for quilting, but I use a fine crochet cotton as I have loads to hand. I can send you a couple of ball of cream which will do a large quilt if that would help - got a box of it from a thrift shop ages ago :-) You see it on ebay often in auctions quite cheaply too if you want colour. I'll look later and see what count it is that I have and let you know- it's quite fine but very strong :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thank you for the offer WCS but you keep it in your stash for when you might need it. I have a feeling I've found a new pass time so will need to build a stock myself ;) I appreciate the idea and will seek to get some. Job done WCS and a happy little fuddle. :D thank you!

I'm keeping my itty bitty scraps to have a go at applique too.
  • Camelot, have a look on u tube for videos on `how to sew in a zipper` or something to that effect - there are loads of this sort of short vids on there, look at a few and find one to follow. I think there`s a Brother video as well.
  • I am finding the quilting posts very interesting, what a lovely way to preserve memories of clothing etc. Quilting isn`t for me but that does not stop me being interested in what you are doing and how you do it

Today I put a wooden tree up, had to change from a green tree, due to circumstances. It had to go on a low round table that has a black top and three beech legs. I thought of putting some felt under the treeto protect the table but have just made a full length red cover for the table. Am so pleased with it, I have used a good lump of bright red stash which had a felt-like feel. Cutting a circle was not so bad using a string from a pivot point. Then I did a single hem using a fancy zig zag stitch. Look very very nice, Cost me nothing except a bit of time. Love sewing when I don`t have to work to my body measurements :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback