First Direct Android app - fingerprint login

Just had an update for FD App pushed to my Android phone. Now supports fingerprint login. Nice.

This is on a Samsung S7, Android 7.0 (Nougat).
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• byeo
    byeo Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    iOS 11.1, too.
  • They took their time on that one. I’ve had Touch ID (and now Face ID) login on iOS for ages. I would’ve thought it would be easier to implement on Android. Good that they have it though. It saves having to remember the digital secure key password.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • RickJ
    RickJ Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good that they're catching up, but very annoying that they are not enabling it on all Android devices that support fingerprint. They're being picky about the specific devices (and it doesn't include my LG G5, which is not exactly ancient).

Why? All my other banking apps and more support fingerprint authentication, what is fd's problem?
  • I always find fingerprint on Iphone temperamental anyway. Only 50% of the time does it work, do others find this?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Curls2208 wrote: »
    I always find fingerprint on Iphone temperamental anyway. Only 50% of the time does it work, do others find this?

I wouldn't say 50%, but it does sometimes not recognise mine. Usually just after I've washed my hands. Perhaps prints require grime or sweat to work:cool:
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    They took their time on that one. I’ve had Touch ID (and now Face ID) login on iOS for ages. I would’ve thought it would be easier to implement on Android. Good that they have it though. It saves having to remember the digital secure key password.

The iPhone app supports touch ID but for some reason the iPad version does not (I have iPad Air 2).
  • Tigger2018
    Tigger2018 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know if FD removed the fingerprint sign on. Can't find it anywhere
  • BigBlueSky
    BigBlueSky Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Tigger2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if FD removed the fingerprint sign on. Can't find it anywhere

Same here (on Android). I have the latest version of the app but no sign of the fingerprint sign on.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    According to this it is still working https://www1.firstdirect.com/banking/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-app/#android-fingerprint

It might be worth giving them a ring if you cannot get it working.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My phone has moved on to using FaceID rather than TouchID. The FD app is working fine right now

May be try re-installing the app?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport