Advice needed - House or Wedding?

Options

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    House every time! The wedding industry has gone crazy over the past few years - seat covers?? Are the chairs that filthy? I shudder when I see how much people are paying for ridiculous things, when, as PasturesNew so wisely says it's pretty meaningless to everybody except the bride!

I would do what others have said and set out a spreadsheet to get your girlfriend to fill in. Get her to list absolutely everything she wants in a wedding and then get (real) prices. She'll be a bit shocked I would say.... Then go house-hunting :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    House every time! The wedding industry has gone crazy over the past few years - seat covers?? Are the chairs that filthy? I shudder when I see how much people are paying for ridiculous things, when, as PasturesNew so wisely says it's pretty meaningless to everybody except the bride!

I would do what others have said and set out a spreadsheet to get your girlfriend to fill in. Get her to list absolutely everything she wants in a wedding and then get (real) prices. She'll be a bit shocked I would say.... Then go house-hunting :D
    Seat covers go on the back of chairs to make them look nicer :)

It's a common 'upsell' for a wedding venue

If you get married, and she decides she wants kids.. how are you ever going to afford a house?
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Seat covers go on the back of chairs to make them look nicer :)

It's a common 'upsell' for a wedding venue

Still daft - I reckon that very few people over the age of, say, 45, had seat covers at their venue! More rubbish from across the Pond!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 2 March 2017 at 4:28PM
    Options
    My cousin had them a few years back.. but it was a 'London' wedding. Black tie and all that.

Best wedding I've been to cost a little under £100k. It had performances by people from the West end, a top end cover-band, superb food and in a top London venue. Apparently, Madona tried to gate crash it and security stopped her (True story!). The happy couple did get a photo with a nicer celeb who was staying at the hotel after my wife persuaded her to come in.

I miss a good wedding.. not been to one in 18 months.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My cousin had them a few years back.. but it was a 'London' wedding. Black tie and all that.

Best wedding I've been to cost a little under £100k. It had performances by people from the West end, a top end cover-band, superb food and in a top London venue. Apparently, Madona tried to gate crash it and security stopped her (True story!). The happy couple did get a photo with a nicer celeb who was staying at the hotel after my wife persuaded her to come in.

I miss a good wedding.. not been to one in 18 months.

Sounds nice, but not what's it's really about is it? Sounds like the bride-to-be may wish for a wedding in that style though. OP is asking the wrong people on here really, we're all going to say house first.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 2 March 2017 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Sounds nice, but not what's it's really about is it? Sounds like the bride-to-be may wish for a wedding in that style though. OP is asking the wrong people on here really, we're all going to say house first.
    Oh no, it's not all about the money.. but they weren't spending beyond their means (££££ family). It was just lavish and lots of fun. Nice family, just immensely rich! I've been to intimate wedding and they can be just as nice (and the stag dos don't cost me anywhere near as much!)

AND - they bought a house before a wedding

Of course we're all going to say "buy a house you fool" on here - and forget about the feelings of his GF - who's probably been dreaming of this for a decade. Compromise may also not be what she's looking to hear.
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 5:05PM
    Options
    We did both, starting planning and paying for the wedding and put a 5% deposit down on a house. I knew that when we moved we wouldn't be able to afford to save for a wedding so I wanted us to have enough in savings to cover both.

I wouldn't say definitely get a house first if it means you will be scrimping and saving for years to try and afford the wedding. Once it's done you will never have to pay for it again.
  • woollisox
    woollisox Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    I would always choose the house first. 2 years ago I'd have said wedding (no doubt in my answer either!) but I'm still trying to get a mortgage and find a decent house and the process is only getting harder now.
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    My parents bought their house before they got married, but moved in together after the wedding. It was a cheap-ish house and needed a lot of work doing to it before it became liveable-in. I think they really enjoyed doing up the house together when they were engaged. They also managed to have a nice (but not stupidly expensive) wedding.

There's too much pressure on people these days to have a huge wedding they can barely afford, and ridiculous stag and hen 'weekends'!
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely a house. A house is for life - a wedding's just an expensive day that's pretty meaningless to everybody except the bride in all honesty.

Well that's not true at all. I loved my wedding, so did my husband and all our friends and family. I can always get more money to buy a house I can't always make more special memories.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure