PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Ten a Day challenge, join me

Options

Comments

• Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.

I eat basically Paleo /ketogenic.

For breakfast I eat anything really. I've taken my mind out of the notion that we must have 'breakfast foods' for breakfast.
    Some of the things i have are:
    Bacon and Eggs
    Smoked fish and poached eggs
    Veggie omelette
    100% meat sausage with saurkraut
    Fruit salad with HM fruit sauce
    Pho (beef broth with veggies and a little beef)
    Pancakes with fruits (not often as Paleo flours are high carbs)
    Fried sweet potato with onion and pork
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The NHS tell us all kinds of things are ok to eat and they aren't or tell us not to eat things that are perfectly healthy.
    The NHS offers excellent advice, just not when it comes to the public's dietary choices. It's still steered by what the food industry finds profitable (which coincidentally raises revenue for the treasury) which is an absolute disgrace :mad:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    brkfst an apple and an orange = 2
    lunch a large lunch today a bowl of veg and lentil soup and a large salad with extra tomato and beetroot and some turkey slices, quite a feast =5
    dinner will be bacon, beans,tomatoes,beetroot and spinach followed by stewed gooseberries = 4
    total =11
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    I saw this, it's about people who already eat 10 a day and how they do it. Thought it might be of interest to some of you

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/24/meet-people-eat-10-portions-fruit-vegetables-day
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Thanks for the great ideas. Since I love my veg, salad and fruit I think I can do this within 1,200- 1,500 cals.

Can we thing of the cost, how to make it as cheap as possible and easy to do, taste good too. I'm lucky enough to have a good stock cupboard of herbs, spices and condiments but it you'll be great to get an agreed menu plan out there that maybe MSE could promote in response to this 10 a day call....at what cost?

I don't always have much to space £s on extras, if I can manage this minimally and whatnot I think there's something in that for us to promote to help others.

Thankfully I love cabbage!

A little while ago I made myself a list of various fruit and veg with the price per portion - only a few months ago so should be fairly current. I can post that as a starting point? It's pretty biased towards things I like to eat but we could all add to it.

If we do priced up recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner with 3+ portions in each (maybe 2 for breakfast?), folks could mix and match and add a piece of fruit as a snack/dessert to get to 10?
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    *Margaret* wrote: »
    I saw this, it's about people who already eat 10 a day and how they do it. Thought it might be of interest to some of you

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/24/meet-people-eat-10-portions-fruit-vegetables-day

Thank you :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you so much for the breakfast ideas. Will get cracking tomorrow. Have managed 5 so far, will add another some salad and some fruit for supper, so should make 8.

So if I can add a couple of portions for breakfast I should do it comfortably tomorrow.

Will definitely have a go at smoothies too.
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Adding up:
    Breakfast - handful of sultanas with my bran flakes.
    Snack - Apple
    Lunch - large salad with mixed nuts - lettuce, big splat of HM coleslaw, 3 cherry tomatoes, beetroot.
    Snack - banana.
    Evening meal - omelette, with rice and a large stir fry containing onion, garlic, carrot, homegrown mung bean sprouts, green and red cabbage, chopped celery and tomato. Five dried apricots.

I think that's 10. The stir fry was the size of at least three portions.

This is pretty much how I always eat. I've known for years that nine a day is the aim in Australia, so have been guided by that. Saying that, there are always some days that don't quite hit the target.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A fizzy multivitamin from Aldi about a pound for twenty. Sorted.

Fekk sake, all this Nanny State stuff is boring. One sponsored College research graduate after another espousing this and that, well they have to justify their existence after all and come up with something I suppose. But we don't have to listen either!

Five a day is achievable. Anything else is a bonus but not an imperative.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Thank you so much for the breakfast ideas. Will get cracking tomorrow. Have managed 5 so far, will add another some salad and some fruit for supper, so should make 8.

So if I can add a couple of portions for breakfast I should do it comfortably tomorrow.

Will definitely have a go at smoothies too.
    I forgot to say, when I do breakfasts, I have spinach and mushrooms with things like bacon and egg, so more veggies there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure