Reclaim CPP article discussion

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    The CPP redress scheme which has closed was for post 2005.

So yes, you can still complain (but you may not receive anything).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • I have tried to claim for CPP and followed the MSE forum. I got nowhere with CPP and went to the Ombudsman but they have rejected the claim as they say it closed in August 2015. The Ombudsman said that a letter was sent by CPP and they followed the guidelines. The one letter to claim was never received. They now refuse to take it any further even though they admit it was a telesales call and CPP were taking payments from 2002 to 2005 and then 2005 to 2015 which is something that was never required. It is an absolute disgrace when PPI keep getting extensions of time to pay.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have tried to claim for CPP and followed the MSE forum. I got nowhere with CPP and went to the Ombudsman but they have rejected the claim as they say it closed in August 2015. The Ombudsman said that a letter was sent by CPP and they followed the guidelines. The one letter to claim was never received. They now refuse to take it any further even though they admit it was a telesales call and CPP were taking payments from 2002 to 2005 and then 2005 to 2015 which is something that was never required. It is an absolute disgrace when PPI keep getting extensions of time to pay.

PPI does not get extensions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks to Martin's advice I have successfully reclaimed CPP insurance paid after 2004 but according to the Financial Ombudsman claims are not possible prior to this time (I was sold CPP by another company in association with CPP in 1997) because neither company was regulated at this time
  • Sadly, my lovely 78 year old mother in law died last week. My elderly father in law has asked me to sort out the financial stuff. He is not financially savvy and would not have understood CPP. Their financial records are not clear but I have found papers relating to CPP identity protection insurance in 2014 for both of them, one that seems to have an annual direct debit and one monthly. I don't have the bank statement that would cover the annual payment, but can see that the monthly one is still being taken from his bank account. Even more confusingly, his policy refers to identity protection for someone we have never heard of.
    I see the compensation scheme is closed. I don't have powers to tell his bank to stop the direct debit and he is so upset he is in no state to do so at the moment.
    Advice on how best to proceed would be much appreciated. Also does anyone know a free phone number for CPP identity protection?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sage_Owl wrote: »
    Sadly, my lovely 78 year old mother in law died last week. My elderly father in law has asked me to sort out the financial stuff. He is not financially savvy and would not have understood CPP. Their financial records are not clear but I have found papers relating to CPP identity protection insurance in 2014 for both of them, one that seems to have an annual direct debit and one monthly. I don't have the bank statement that would cover the annual payment, but can see that the monthly one is still being taken from his bank account. Even more confusingly, his policy refers to identity protection for someone we have never heard of.
    I see the compensation scheme is closed. I don't have powers to tell his bank to stop the direct debit and he is so upset he is in no state to do so at the moment.
    Advice on how best to proceed would be much appreciated. Also does anyone know a free phone number for CPP identity protection?

For obvious reasons without PoA you cannot cancel policies for other people, as upset as he is, he will need to speak to his bank though I would be surprised if he was still paying for CPP given the thing was all stopped 2-3 years ago, also it was a yearly thing not monthly. A monthly thing, if the same payment each time is likely to be some sort of other insurance, if it varies it could be something like PPI. You might need to write the letters for him and let him sign them then post them off

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/CPP-card-protection
  • Many thanks. The 2014 papers I have seen show the monthly breakdown for identity protection, it is odd. I'll write the letters and hope I can sort it out.
  • loulou_1984
    loulou_1984 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Hi all,

I've read various threads from the 'sticky' post on PPI, but still a bit confused - can anyone help please?

A while ago I received a call from a CMC - to get rid of them, I told them I'd never had PPI as I hadn't had a loan. They asked if I'd had credit cards (yes, back when I was in debt, I had quite a few). They said even if I wasn't aware of it, I may have had PPI.

Obviously I didn't want to use them as I was aware of all the resources on this website, but I'm a bit stuck after looking at the templates. Here's where I'm at - do any of these facts mean I definitely can't claim?

- I had the credit cards between 2002 and 2011 (if the cut off for claiming is 6 years... shall I give up now??)
    - I know who I had credit cards with, but no account details or info (I believe I can obtain this by using the SRA template)
    - I don't remember any CPP stickers as mentioned in the other threads
    - I don't remember paying for PPI, so may find I don't have a claim anyway
    - I had credit cards with Egg, Barclays, HSBC and Capital One.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can advise!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You are far too late to complain about CPP even if you had it, as the refund scheme closed more than a year ago.

As for PPI, you already know how to check whether you had it via the Subject Access Request (SAR, not SRA) route. There is no six year "deadline", although you may find records of finance older than this are no longer available.

I'm not sure what else you are asking?
  • Neil
    Neil Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hey there MSE crew !

i am posting here to see if i have any further redress against this shameful organisation

I tried to get my money from them in 2013/2014 and despite many many requests for the claims form (all recorded) they delayed and delayed me saying they were struggling with resources to support the claims system ...as you know the claim window closed on 30th august 2014

in a last ditch attempt i actually dowloaded your forms and sent them in 2-3 days before the deadline and emailed them the details as well

guess what - they have continued since then to say the documents were not received by the deadline date and therefore they will not pay the claim or look at the request

i escalated this to the Financial Onbudsman Service and they eventually replied in dec 2014 saying they do not deal with such a problem as it was not covered by the Financial Onbudsman Servoce ( eh ?)

anyway i kinda gave up at the time as clearly the crooks at CPP were working to ensure many innocent customers did not get compensated by fair means or foul.....mainy foul if i am allowed to be so blunt and frustrated by their blatent methods and tactics ....how are these organisations and their parent companies (banks) still allowed to be operating ?

since i am helping someone to reclaim some PPI (great site and assistance MSE !) i thought i would write in here again for 1 more shot ....

advice ? / Help ?

cheers
    Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills