Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interest rates are soooo low. For the sake of an extra £7,000, surely they can do that imho. [/QUOTE]

Surely you will benefit from the same low-interest rates when you are ready to buy.

You want them to spend an extra £7000 but you have been resistant to spending money on the flat.

Could you suggest you will do some of the work if they up the price a little?
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 August 2016 at 10:29PM
    Options
    AC........Take the money and run......

Seriously........you have your "Bird in the Hand".

FTB - no chain. You couldn't ask for better.

You have been Praying for a sale for months. Well now you have one so come on now stop dithering.

£10k less than your asking price is nothing. You can recoup that when you buy because you too will be in a strong position.

What have you got at the moment.........a job you hate, a long and stressful commute, up to your eyeballs in debt, ill health.......

What have you got to lose.......well all of the above for a start.

What have you got to gain........a dollop of cash to start again with a clean slate, enough to clear your debts, the opportunity to move to somewhere quiet and more conducive to a healthy lifestyle, the chance to live mortgage free and still have enough for a mini sabbatical. And when it is time to look for work then you don't need to overreach yourself - you can go part time or try something new and more interesting.

It's a no brainer......

Ps if you have another viewing with a new prospect, then by all means play for time, but be careful you don't overplay your hand. Don't keep them dangling too long. Close of business tomorrow.
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 August 2016 at 10:21PM
    Options
    This is fantastic news AC, was delighted when I checked in & saw you've got an offer.

Part of me says just accept it but the other part of me says that you have another viewing tomorrow so what harm to leave it 24/48 hours?

You could accept the £375k & when you find somewhere in Poole you can also try a bit of a cheeky offer. You won't have to wait for a decision on a mortgage so will be an attractive buyer and if you accept this offer from a FTB, you've no chain below you either, doubly attractive I would think.

Good luck with making your decision, so pleased for you :-)

ETA: we've been mortgage free for 4 years & there's no better feeling......
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Wow !
    Excellent advice as always .
    Lying in bed typing this .
    My feeling now is this :
    I'm off to Poole on sat . I was thinking of letting the estate agent know this, and tell him I would let him know on Monday .
    Also, maybe go to £378k? That would help me a lot somewhat ..

One other thing : it's probably best to go the 'normal route'. ( Ie find a place , while I'm selling mine, rather than rent ).?
    Can't afford to rent before I buy now . If I take this offer, I'll need every penny .

What say you ??

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Well you're going to Poole at the weekend, whatever you were intending to do there should go on the backburner - house/flat hunting should be top of your agenda.

Just go on Rightmove and put in a search using Poole Station, within 3 miles, £170k to £210k, minimum 2 beds and you will get 64 results. Mostly flats/apartments, many in your target area, some in others, a few houses - sure there will be a few lemons amongst them, but as you've found out it's a buyers market.

You know it makes sense, so do it!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Two nights of broken sleep , and feeling rough today as it is now humid .
    As I say , I have yet to analyse everything as I would've liked savings and clear my debts .
    My thoughts this morning; tell estate agent that I'm going to Poole tomorrow and will give answer on Monday ..and if they went for £378,500 it's as good as theirs.
    Any more thoughts ?
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it was me I would accept their offer and go off to Poole to buy myself a flat. Why do you need 2 bedrooms - is your brother going to come and stay ( a sleeping bag on the lounge floor stops visitors staying too long)
    You are off to Poole, time to see some properties with your friends helping and giving a second third fourth opinion.
    Enjoy your weekend AC.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Duff night here too - had just decided to try for another half hour when the doorbell went. Caught the courier just as he was leaving with my wine.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think you should grab your buyers. Try £377,500? It sounds nearer their offer, but might still be more than they will stretch to.

And as has been said, you will be a cash buyer in Poole, with haggling power.

Enjoy the sea air this weekend. Collect some brochures to read on the way home.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    AC, i'll be blunt here - if you insist on pushing for an extra £3k or so you could so very easily lose this buyer for an amount that is peanuts in the great scheme of things! Unencumbered FTBs are like gold dust believe me.

If you don't believe me take LLs good advice and opinion as well.

By all means accept the offer subject to contract, which being as today is Friday, is not likely to happen before any weekend viewings take place.

As to Poole, if you do the same search I mentioned above and expand the radius to 5 miles that will bring up additional properties in the area between Poole and Bournemouth all within easy reach of your friends by bus/train/taxi if need be. There are a few Freehold flats in the mix and a few houses.

A house would of course be free of any ongoing lease related costs.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning AC.

Had a quick look in the target area that Harz suggested. Plenty of choice. You will easily find something nice.

No I have no more thoughts.......my answer still stands.

It's a good offer, don't mess about, go for it. You may get a better offer but then again you may not. Don't take unnecessary risks at this stage of the game. Its taken you months to get this far, don't screw it up now by being indecisive or greedy.

Stop dithering, close your eyes and jump in. It will be fine. I appreciate its a big step now that it's finally happening, but just take that leap of faith ........:D

It's a buyers market but once this sale goes through you will be in a good strong position to negotiate yourself a bargain.

As for needing to have £50k in the bank....... Well it would be nice of course, but £40k is still a good cushion. And.......as I have said before you may well be able to claw back that £10k on your next purchase.

Good luck this weekend.

And please - don't let this deal slip through your fingers. In your circumstances it's an offer you can't refuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure