Hard of hearing - new smart phone

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 April 2017 at 11:31AM in Mobiles
I was not sure where to post this and, if necessary, please move my post, thank you. I am hard of hearing and often cannot wear my hearing aid. I have never had a smart phone and, although my Doro 'basic' phone has been fine until now, I would like to think about a smart phone.

I am with EE Pay as you go and I would prefer to stay without a contract and, if at all possible, keep my present number. I've been struggling to see (from Google) what I actually need but I think my options for good loud speaker volume are:

Nokia 130- although this one does not seem to have a camera or,

Doro liberto 820 mini - although this one seems to have a very short battery life and I don't think it can be used everywhere abroad. or

Or Microsoft Lumia 950 XL but it is expensive and I'm not sure if it can be bought 'on the high street' and be used with an EE Pay as you go card.

If anyone has any experience or can make any recommendation I would really appreciate it. Any advice would help me to be more knowledgeable for when I go into the EE shop to look.

Thank you very much

Crimson

Comments

• I'd have a look at http://www.gari.info/ which has lots of information.

The Lumia btw uses Windows 10 mobile OS which is much more limited than an Android or Apple product in terms of apps.
  • Mum bought a doro 8030 she's very hard of hearing (lost total hearing in one side and down to nearly none in the other) I set the handset up for her she uses an EE PAYG sim and worked a treat in this handset as well...she's very happy with the doro and so far no probs our end when we call her
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 24 April 2017 at 7:26PM
    I'd have a look at http://www.gari.info/ which has lots of information.

The Lumia btw uses Windows 10 mobile OS which is much more limited than an Android or Apple product in terms of apps.

Thank you very much. Your link will be really helpful and I' ll take time to read through. Much appreciated.

Update at 7.25 pm, Colin_Maybe. I've looked at your link and I have bookmarked it. It will be really helpful for other things in addition to mobile phone information. Thank you again.

Crimson
  • Mum bought a doro 8030 she's very hard of hearing (lost total hearing in one side and down to nearly none in the other) I set the handset up for her she uses an EE PAYG sim and worked a treat in this handset as well...she's very happy with the doro and so far no probs our end when we call her

Thank you very much. I'm going to take time to read about this Doro 8030 and the other helpful link from Colin, as above.

Many thanks.

Crimson
  • Without wishing to sound insensitive, would it be better for you to visit an EE shop initially to actually listen to various phones? Tell them your requirements. This would ensure you have a phone with sufficient volume for your needs. You are not obliged to "buy" from EE.:cool:
    A better option than relying on strangers who do not know your specific requirements.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is nearly always possible to keep your number. In many cases, simply remove the SIM card from the old phone and insert it in to the new phone.

As there are now several different physical sizes of SIM card, in some cases it is necessary to perform a SIM swap. This is where your current network sends you a new SIM that has no telephone number assigned and you simply swap your number and deal and credit on to that new SIM.

If you are buying a new handset you need to be aware of a free gotchas. Many phones are 'locked' to accept SIM cards from only one provider. Buy a handset from an O2 or Vodafone shop and your EE SIM will be rejected. You may be better off buying a "SIM-free network-unlocked" handset. You can then put any SIM card in it.

If you buy a handset from your existing provider, they may try to sell you a deal with a new SIM and a new number. Explain up front that you want to keep the same number so they process the sale so that you can use your existing number (either by using your existing SIM or by doing a SIM swap, swapping your number on to a new SIM).

If you are changing provider, only then do you need a PAC to transfer your number over to the new provider. They will also provide a new SIM that works on their network. Any credit with your existing provider will be lost in this process.
  • Without wishing to sound insensitive, would it be better for you to visit an EE shop initially to actually listen to various phones? Tell them your requirements. This would ensure you have a phone with sufficient volume for your needs. You are not obliged to "buy" from EE.:cool:
    A better option than relying on strangers who do not know your specific requirements.

It's OK oldagetraveller - you are not being at all insensitive and thank you for replying. Any suggestions or recommendations are very welcome. My situation is that I cannot always wear my hearing aid and I 'simply' need a mobile phone with really loud volume - it helps to hear the opinions and experiences of others and it lets me do some more homework before I go into an EE shop.

Thank you again.

Crimson
  • Ian011 wrote: »
    It is nearly always possible to keep your number. In many cases, simply remove the SIM card from the old phone and insert it in to the new phone.

As there are now several different physical sizes of SIM card, in some cases it is necessary to perform a SIM swap. This is where your current network sends you a new SIM that has no telephone number assigned and you simply swap your number and deal and credit on to that new SIM.

If you are buying a new handset you need to be aware of a free gotchas. Many phones are 'locked' to accept SIM cards from only one provider. Buy a handset from an O2 or Vodafone shop and your EE SIM will be rejected. You may be better off buying a "SIM-free network-unlocked" handset. You can then put any SIM card in it.

If you buy a handset from your existing provider, they may try to sell you a deal with a new SIM and a new number. Explain up front that you want to keep the same number so they process the sale so that you can use your existing number (either by using your existing SIM or by doing a SIM swap, swapping your number on to a new SIM).

If you are changing provider, only then do you need a PAC to transfer your number over to the new provider. They will also provide a new SIM that works on their network. Any credit with your existing provider will be lost in this process.

Thank you very much, Ian011 - that is all really helpful information and very good to know. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Crimson
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm deaf and have 2 hearing aids, I was just wondering why you cannot always wear your hearing aids?
    Do they not fit correctly?

When I get any new phone, my works supplies me with one for work, so I get those at work who understand these gagets to just set it up for me on the loudest ring tone / pinging noise they can find :)
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 24 April 2017 at 7:36PM
    kazwookie wrote: »
    I'm deaf and have 2 hearing aids, I was just wondering why you cannot always wear your hearing aids?
    Do they not fit correctly?

When I get any new phone, my works supplies me with one for work, so I get those at work who understand these gagets to just set it up for me on the loudest ring tone / pinging noise they can find :)

Thanks for replying kazwookie. It's a long story but I have had several types of moulds and open fit too. Most recently I was fitted with a new improved hearing aid. The NHS Audiology Department have been excellent and have tried very hard. I've also had help from my GP. The problem is that I have psoriasis in both ear canals. Despite numerous treatments and advice I just have to accept that the ear canal psoriasis comes and goes. Unfortunately no 'treatment' seems to cure it although it is better at some times than at others.

Even at its best I can only wear my hearing aid for a short time before the itching makes it impossible to keep my aid in. It's something I have to live with and, now that I am thinking of moving from my very 'basic' Doro mobile phone to a smart phone with good loudspeaker volume, I'm grateful for any information, advice or experiences etc. from anyone who has experience.

I'm nearly 70 now and, on top of my original hearing loss, it seems to be deteriorating more now that I'm aging. This is such a good forum - much appreciated. Thank you.

Crimson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport