Does John Lewis TV Guarantee start on order or dispatch?

sunil237
sunil237 Posts: 104 Forumite
edited 16 April 2017 at 9:42AM in Consumer rights
I'm looking to buy a tv from them at a really good price and don't actually need it till the end of the year, and noticed they can deliver up to 6 months away which is perfect.

My only concern is on when the guarantee starts. Does it start when I place my order or when they dispatch it? I have found the following info, which I interpret that it would be when they dispatch, but what are your thoughts?

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/information-about-our-terms-and-conditions
  • We will send you an order confirmation email detailing the products you have ordered. This is not an order acceptance
  • For items being delivered to you (as opposed to Click & collect), when your product is shipped from our warehouse we will send you a despatch confirmation email
  • Order acceptance and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on the despatch to you of the Products ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order, or you have cancelled it in accordance with the instructions in Change or cancel an order

I will ask John Lewis to confirm it in writing too if I'm right

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't be so much bothered by the guarantees start date and more the fact that the you want them to defer delivery by 6 months. Are they going to set one aside for you or just allocate one from stock at the point of delivery? Television models are replaced very regularly and a really good price could well be indicative that the model you want to buy is about to be discontinued and therefore unlikely to still be stocked in 6 months.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It starts on dispatch, once your order has been sent they email it to you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Forumite
    Why do you want it delivered in 6 months time ?

It will be old tech by then, why not buy a tv when you require one.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    what is the TV. it does seem a little strange buying "tech" but
    not getting it till 6 months later
  • sunil237
    @peachyprice thanks, have you had any experience or just know that's how it works?

I'm not moving homes for 6 months, and just doing bargin hunting shopping in the mean time. The TV we've seen is aesthetically right for my wife.. and she is picky on the stand and colour etc

They did a price match, hence the good price. I will also ask to see if they will hold it in stock for my order.

I'm not too fussed about getting the latest tech features, the features of the tv fulfill what I need it for and the picture quality looks great, and my eyes are just withering anyway lol. realistically I'm happy with 1080 quality so anything higher is overkill for me anyway.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55ku6500-curved-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-active-crystal-colour/p2693374?sku=235912513&s_kwcid=2dx92700018959853557&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5sHHBRDg5IK6k938j_IBEiQARZBJWmnqkZ0OKGLoKhSFc8eYFijf2NoxprcHxM99_B6B0uUaAkWK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Forumite
    I cant see them holding the set for you for 6 months, space is a premium in a warehouse, a massive premium.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sunil237 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a tv from them at a really good price and don't actually need it till the end of the year, and noticed they can deliver up to 6 months away which is perfect.

My only concern is on when the guarantee starts. Does it start when I place my order or when they dispatch it? I have found the following info, which I interpret that it would be when they dispatch, but what are your thoughts?

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/information-about-our-terms-and-conditions
    • We will send you an order confirmation email detailing the products you have ordered. This is not an order acceptance
    • For items being delivered to you (as opposed to Click & collect), when your product is shipped from our warehouse we will send you a despatch confirmation email
    • Order acceptance and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on the despatch to you of the Products ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order, or you have cancelled it in accordance with the instructions in Change or cancel an order

I will ask John Lewis to confirm it in writing too if I'm right

As JL offer a five year guarantee on televisions, when it actually starts may not be too important.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    That model was £650 at Christmas. £749 is not a bargain price.

Buy something closer to the time.
  • sunil237
    I've got it at £600.

Ye, 5 year guarantee, just wanted to get confirmation before i ordered is all so I know my rights and whether I should wait to order or just get it now.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    sunil237 wrote: »
    I've got it at £600.

Ye, 5 year guarantee, just wanted to get confirmation before i ordered is all so I know my rights and whether I should wait to order or just get it now.

Honestly I'd expect it to start when you buy it, but worth asking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport