Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,697Posts
    • 57,603Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 12 Decluttered 691/2017 items
Page 420
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 23rd Apr 17, 5:34 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Don't worry, GQ, in the end it will have been an excellent idea of his
    Originally posted by VJsmum

There speaketh a clever woman.

kittie, your remark reminded me of one of my great-aunties who says of some social occasions; I don't want to go there, it's full of old people!!

She's in her eighties but young at heart and much prefers the company of the younger generations to that of some of her peers.

I've long since decided I would never want to be in sheltered accomodation, due to the endless petty squabbles which infest these schemes. There always seems to be a Queen Bee (and/or a Top Dog) and their little coteries and the back-biting, social exclusion and rows about the right kind of outings seem to be unending. I even know first-hand of cases (relatives of friends) where people have been tormented to the point of severe ill-health by their peers who have far too much time on their hands and, in some cases, a level of emotional development comparable with pre-schoolers or the vilest kind of teen girl..

Nope, I want to be like the octogenarian lady I met a few years ago hostelling in New Zealand; she was travelling the world solo with a small rolling suitcase and was as happy as larry.

Have added six wheelbarrowfuls of barley grains and hops from the organic brewery to my New Courgette Bed, will let them cool down for a few days before turning them underground. And then took another two IKEYA blue bags to the tip, which means that another area of soil is now ready to be worked upon, yay!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 10,489 Posts
    • 55,098 Thanks
    kittie
    . They don't seem to die suddenly here, they simply fade away. Sometimes you only find out when the 'for sale' sign goes up and the skip arrives in the front garden.
    Originally posted by Charis
    omg

what we need is co-ownership ie our own freehold houses with a small garden but communal rooms for dining and crafting or for companionship and small allotments, all owned by the home owners. Trouble is that all the places for older people have management companies and are leasehold but owned by other people, all out to make a big fat profit out of us. I once googled a management company and it was seven young men who had obviously bought into a cash cow

We do need company charis, we could do things like go to the theatre but hire a mini bus between us, rather than run individual cars. It is finding that happy balance, where help is at hand but not until we ask for it

GQ, do you think the old-type alms houses might be an answer?
    • Floss
    • By Floss 23rd Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 25,591 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ does your brewery waste come fresh from their brew day? And is it ok put straight onto the beds? DH brews (small scale) and chucks his spent grain & hops into a dalek on our plot, we'd not thought of using it straight away...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 23rd Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ does your brewery waste come fresh from their brew day? And is it ok put straight onto the beds? DH brews (small scale) and chucks his spent grain & hops into a dalek on our plot, we'd not thought of using it straight away...
    Originally posted by Floss
    It comes from a small organic brew pub in this city. Their yard man brings it at random intervals and makes a communal pile which we self-serve from - sometimes it comes and is taken away in hours. We get about 3 buckets of hops to about a dozen black dustbins of spent grains.

Sometimes it's so fresh it's steaming and actually hot. This lot had been there about 3 days by my estimation; the top level had dried and crusted a bit but the white filaments of fungii haven't really started to grow yet.

What we do on our site, and we've been doing this for years, is dump it on the surface of the soil, about a barrowful per square yard and let it sit in its little heaps for several days or up to a week to cool off, then fork it through the soil until the result looks like a pudding. I think the idea of letting it cool off is to stop the heat upsetting the soil organisms, the stuff can be hot to the touch at first and, if the air is cold enough, will steam.

I've then sown seed spuds straight into it with great success and lots of other plants seem pretty happy with it.

I've never composted it and don't know anyone on our site who bothers to do so, either, but we do fork it through rather than let it sit on the top as a layer. The worms love it and soon come up into the layer with the grains and most of the distinct grains will have disappeared in a few months, it rots down that quickly.

I garden on a very light soil, silty, over pure sand, and it's incredibly free-draining if left unimproved (a geologist who knows the site reckons what is now a slope was once a river bed - the present-day river is several hundred meters away). HTH.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 23rd Apr 17, 7:27 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    pandamonium
    omg

what we need is co-ownership ie our own freehold houses with a small garden but communal rooms for dining and crafting or for companionship and small allotments, all owned by the home owners. Trouble is that all the places for older people have management companies and are leasehold but owned by other people, all out to make a big fat profit out of us. I once googled a management company and it was seven young men who had obviously bought into a cash cow

We do need company charis, we could do things like go to the theatre but hire a mini bus between us, rather than run individual cars. It is finding that happy balance, where help is at hand but not until we ask for it

GQ, do you think the old-type alms houses might be an answer?
    Originally posted by kittie
    There was a program on the tv recently where a lot of ladies lived together as part of a cooperative. They all seemed to get along and it looked a great idea. Think it was on itv. Totally escapes me what the programme was called.

ETA http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/641254/old-girls-allowed-first-kind-housing-development
    This is it. Thank you google.
    Last edited by pandamonium; Yesterday at 7:33 PM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 23rd Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 25,591 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ thanks for that, I will share with DH
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 23rd Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ thanks for that, I will share with DH
    Originally posted by Floss
    My pleasure. FWIW, I did once ask the sainted B0b Fl0werdew about this and he recommended composting it first. It was at a talk he was giving, me an' Bob aren't besties, just to make that clear.

I don't always follow expert advice, I tend to experiment IRL and see what happens. Spuds grown on freshly-grained soil are about 50% bigger (tops and tubers) than identical variety spuds growing on non-grained soil right beside them. The difference is staggering and has to be seen to be believed.

I did a fair bit of graining earlier this year and then had a hiatus due to lack of cleared soil (plus being ill) and then lack of grains. They arrive on weekdays and I'm at work and others get first dibs on them - by this point in the calendar, the run on the grain pile has slowed down a fair bit and us weekend gardeners can get a look-in.

Anyway, good luck, tell the hubs you need lots - make more beer.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 23rd Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 16,703 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've been out in the garden again, have finished the bed under the sunroom window, which now has a weed proof membrane, 5 new plants and gravel all round. Unlike GQ, our soil is horrendous. Clay that bakes like bricks. There's little pleasure to be had trying to get a spade in the ground for most of the year. After we had our extension built 9 years ago we had the garden landscaped with the idea that it be very low maintenance. For some reason best known to the people who did it, they decided not to do this bed with membrane and it's long been a source of annoyance, so I'm glad we got this sorted. I managed to Kondo some more lungwort to my neighbour, and we moved a plant that was fighting for light with another which had outgrown it.

Have decided another plant has got way out of hand and may be replaced. I can see that deep inside it there are some newish shoots, so we'll try cutting it back and see if it looks OK, if not we'll find something less vigorous to go in the spot. It's shading some rock roses, I've cut some of it back today, hopefully the light will help the other plants.

Identified 3 old broken hand tools which can go to the tip next visit.

Hung a mirror & barometer in the hall having done the decorating last weekend, the radiator shelf has had 2 coats of gloss, just needs to harden up before being replaced.

ETA forgot to mention we got rid of 3 pairs of specs at the opticians yesterday to go to charity.
    Last edited by Slinky; Yesterday at 8:03 PM.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 23rd Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Still v busy in RL and will be for a few more months yet however have managed to go through some more of the reading pile and get rid of what is no longer needed.

Washed an old cardigan ready to go in ragbag.

Continued to not buy any more clothes etc and only buy toiletries and food as needed. Continuing to use up old food stocks where possible although menu planning difficult atm due to not knowing from day to day whether we will be at home together, separately or away.

Pleased with progress overall despite there being a lot going on.
    March GC £78.74/£90
    2017 GC £224.18/£180
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 23rd Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 36,844 Thanks
    camelot1001
    GQ - I bet your worms are very happy, hic!
    • greent
    • By greent 23rd Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 5,697 Posts
    • 57,603 Thanks
    greent
    'Shopped' from loft for DS3 today - 2 items identified from the box to go into fabric recycling and about 15 items gone into his wardrobe and 2 sets of books for his shelves - meaning I now don't need to go tshirt shopping for him - and a KM win as there's now 1 less box in the internal loft and DS3 is pleased with his 'new' clothes

Another fleebay sale tonight - all parcelled up ready - will drop it off in morning after school run
    x
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 12 Decluttered 691/2017 items
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 23rd Apr 17, 9:20 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ - I bet your worms are very happy, hic!
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    A brewer of my acquaintance - not from the same place as our grains - tells me that their brewery gives the spent grains to a local farmer who feeds them to their dairy herd.

Watch out for that 5 % proof milk........... and you thought them lying down was a sign of coming rain, didn't you?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 23rd Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 18,030 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Interesting discussion about getting older, I think I have one foot in the 'it'll never happen to me' camp and don't exercise as much as I should, and the other foot in the practical camp which is what makes me save and plan my pension, and is also what made me change career a couple of years ago, because life is short.

I was literally brought down to earth yesterday when I tripped on the garden steps and landed heavily. I escaped lightly with grazed hands and a bruised knee and head (I was really worried I'd broken my glasses) but I'm very aware that I don't recover as quickly as when I was younger. It put a stop to my plans for garden Kondoing, so I'm still tackling the craft UFOs.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Charis
    • By Charis 23rd Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 12,582 Thanks
    Charis
    Have added six wheelbarrowfuls of barley grains and hops from the organic brewery to my New Courgette Bed
    GQ Thank you. You have unknowingly solved a riddle I had earlier. I was reading some quotes from Rumi's Poetry and was puzzled by this:

“There are thousands of wines
    that can take over our minds.

Don't think all ecstasies
    are the same!

Jesus was lost in his love for God.
    His donkey was drunk with barley.”

― Jalaluddin Rumi, The Essential Rumi

I wondered how a donkey could get drunk on barley. I thought maybe Rumi had had one too many... until I saw the word 'brewery' in your post

Oops, crossed with your bovine post, hic!
    Last edited by Charis; Yesterday at 9:42 PM. Reason: cross posted
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 23rd Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 16,033 Thanks
    MMF007
    Thanks to Charis and Greent for the suggestions of places to visit in herefordshire/worcestershire/Gloucestershire . We had a lovely time and saw lots of gorgeous scenery, flora and fauna, and the sun shone!
    3 hour drive home on a lovely evening.

Have to get stuff ready for work tomorrow then off to my own comfy bed (it's always good to be home ).

Ooh, while I was away I did write down my next hit list for releasing Stuff and have hinted to DH that there are some imperatives! I chose not to discuss it on the drive home, I want to be able to show him how much space we could free up and how much better it will be if we make these few changes I am tempted to remove the 2 large sunloungers to elsewhere and see if he actually notices and if so, whether he can be bothered to go and get them back
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

1,971Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin