Chimney Job - is this a good quote?

Hi,

Last week a neighbor pointed out that a brick had fallen from my chimney (from the 4th row down) and was sitting on my roof. I moved into this house last year and the survey stated that the chimney needed attention.

I've had a quote through today (and while he was here he removed the brick for me, save it smashing through the conservatory).

The brick has smashed a couple of tiles where it had landed. He inspected the chimney and concluded that 1 side needs rebuilding. He said from above the chimney has swelled, and I can see indications of this from below. He suggested that the strap holding the aerial to the chimney may also be what's currently holding the chimney together :eek:

The quote to re-build the side with the missing brick, re-point the chimney for me and neighbour, and do the flaunching (he show me a picture he took whilst he was up there - it's knackered) would be £700 + VaT. I'm in the midlands and it's a bog-standard chimney stack.

Does this seem fair? He's willing to get some people out on Thursday to sort it for me as I am now 2 tiles short on the roof and have a chimney with a hole in it. I've tried 4 others and they're all booked up.

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Assuming he will be using scaffolding, that would account for around half the cost. I'd say £700 is reasonable. But as always, get a couple more quotes to compare.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure