Pre-reg car service interval

marks87
marks87 Posts: 180 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've just found out something that's worrying me about my car's service history and I'm now looking for some advice.

I bought a pre-reg Renault from Arnold Clark last July. At the time, I was told the only difference between new and pre-reg is that, for me, the warranty will be shorter because I lose the months between its registration and me buying it. In my case, the car was registered in March, i.e. 4 months (or so) before I bought it. I was fine with this and felt the saving on new was worth taking the risk that something might go wrong in the final 4 months of my PCP contract.

In the second week or so of June, the car's display started flashing "Service due in 30 days". I expected this so kept it in the back of my mind. When it changed last week to 10 days, I booked a service under my service plan.

I've since found out, however, that a service "clock" starts from registration, not purchase.

This is concerning. If I'm 4 months late for the first service, that means I'm almost certainly in breach of the warranty conditions. But 1) I was never told this when buying; and 2) the car itself is only reporting it needs a service now - 1 year after purchase, not registration. So clearly the "clock" was reset to co-incide with my purchase/delivery date (I'm nowhere near the mileage limit for a service).

Can anyone advise on where I stand? Is it possible that Arnold Clark's pre-delivery checks allow them to reset the clock? Or have I been deceived?

I'll admit to a little naivety when buying the car; it was the first time I'd bought (nearly) new and definitely missed a few key questions. I was daft, but lesson learned, and mistakes won't be repeated in future. Nevertheless, I would still have expected the car itself to accurately report when its service is due. It shouldn't necessarily be relied upon, but that fact it is reporting in July when I purchased in July does seem a bit iffy.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think you are worrying over nothing, just get the service and continue to enjoy your motor.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    My car was registered before I bought it and is serviced three months "late". It's never been a problem where warranty work has been needed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    marks87 wrote: »
    I bought a pre-reg Renault from Arnold Clark last July. At the time, I was told the only difference between new and pre-reg is that, for me, the warranty will be shorter because I lose the months between its registration and me buying it. In my case, the car was registered in March, i.e. 4 months (or so) before I bought it.

So you did know that a first service on time, 12 months, rather than mileage would be due in March...?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not called Arnold Shark for nothing.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Do you know whether it was serviced prior to you taking delivery of the car, that's the only reason I can think of them having to reset the service indicator.
  • marks87
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So you did know that a first service on time, 12 months, rather than mileage would be due in March...?

No. That's the point of this thread.
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Do you know whether it was serviced prior to you taking delivery of the car, that's the only reason I can think of them having to reset the service indicator.

There's no stamp in the book, but pre-delivery checks were performed. Maybe that allows the service to be bumped on.

I'll ask on Wednesday when I book it in. I would be somewhat annoyed if it turns out they do reset the clock without actually doing anything that pushes the date of the first service on.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    marks87 wrote: »
    No. That's the point of this thread.
    I beg to differ...

You knew the car was first registered in March.
    You knew the warranty started at the first registration date.
    Why would the first service NOT be due 12 months after the first registration date?
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    I beg to differ...

Why would the first service NOT be due 12 months after the first registration date?

Exactly. My Toyota Yaris was registered on 1st March 2014, I purchased as a pre-registered vehicle on the 26thMarch.
    There was no doubt or anything to suggest otherwise that the "clock" started on the 1stMarch for warranty, M.O.T., service (if time based)and v.e.d..
    Toyota, I understand, allow only a little leeway on servicing to retain warranty. e.g. 1 month/500 miles or thereabouts.
  • marks87
    I beg to differ...

For a start, I wasn't told it was.

Second, the fact that the car itself didn't tell me, and has only now told me a year after purchase.

Something clearly isn't right with that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    But I bet everything was right when you were happily taking a large discount on the new price. As with any deal where you're saving a fair few quid you need to look carefully into the ins and outs. The slight bit of salt on the deal is that you have to do a first service quite quickly but given the first service is usually below £200 and you're saving four figure sums it isn't the end of the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure