how to find an old loan acc number? bank saying they cant find it!!

hi
just wondering if anyone would know and help me please. we had a joint loan with A and L about 5 years ago for around 20,000, i need to check if we had ppi on this, i forwarded a letter to the archive dept who replied saying they can't find any details! i am at a loss now as to what to do
help would be very much appreciated
thanks

Comments

• dilus
    dilus Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    juleeeh wrote: »
    hi
    just wondering if anyone would know and help me please. we had a joint loan with A and L about 5 years ago for around 20,000, i need to check if we had ppi on this, i forwarded a letter to the archive dept who replied saying they can't find any details! i am at a loss now as to what to do
    help would be very much appreciated
    thanks

Hi juleeeh, Three options you could try
    1) If you do online banking you could try getting any information this way (previous statements etc)
    2) SAR them, they would have 40 days to supply you with all they hold on record for you, you have to pay a one off fee of £10 and because of this they have to look maybe a bit harder than they did by just asking first time around. This is not guaranteed to shed any light on the loan in question, but might. If it does it may still be difficult to say for certain that you were paying PPI as it could have been an upfront payment (added on at the beginning) but you might be able to tell by the total amount payable for the loan taking into account the APR rate at the time and the loan term
    3) If you have the loan account number, just send in a questionnaire and see what response you get ;)
    Successes
    Sainsbury's/BOS £6,400 Paid :)
    MBNA £3,600 Paid :)
  • juleeeh
    juleeeh Posts: 47 Forumite
    hey thanks for that, you have been a great help, will try my best on this one
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport