Sending bank details by email?

2»

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pmduk wrote: »
    aliasojo, I'd also note that a response confirming receipt of your new details is not the same as confirmation that the details have been changed. I always ask them to provide written confirmation that they've made the necessary amendments.

Thanks but this is to enable a one-off payment from a solicitor, it's not something that was in existance already so there's nothing to amend.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There's only three things that could be done with your account number and sort code;
    1. Set up a Direct Debit and attempt to take money out. To be able to set up the DD in the first place the company must subscribe to the DD Guarantee, meaning that if they take or try to take money that you didn't agree to, you can claim it right back and have any related charges immediately refunded.
    2. Attempt to set up a Standing Order. This could only be done in writing, to your bank's head office. As the payment could only go to another UK account, even if it was set up (unlikely given it would need to be signed by you and written requests are carefully checked) then it would be an extremely simple matter for your bank to investigate who it went to.
    3. Pay money into your account; this is what you're wanting anyway. And I doubt you'd want to complain of someone wanted to give you more...

All in all, your account number and sort code are safe details to give out.
    As above; any cheques have these details on, as does your debit card and your statements that come through the post. Any of these would be relatively easy places to get these details from, and banks are happy to continue, and have been for a long time.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Naf wrote: »

1. Set up a Direct Debit and attempt to take money out. To be able to set up the DD in the first place the company must subscribe to the DD Guarantee, meaning that if they take or try to take money that you didn't agree to, you can claim it right back and have any related charges immediately refunded...

Somebody could take your bank details and use them to set up a direct debit with a third party that was not connected with the 'somebody'. Which is what happened to Jeremy Clarkson. He gave out his bank details on air, and somebody went and set up a DD using these details, and thus a fraction of the Clarkson millions got diverted into the coffers of some charity.

Mind you that's not exactly what I would call a major threat. There must be a limited number of things you can pay for by DD that it would be worth someone's while trying to do so using someone else's bank details, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    antrobus wrote: »
    Somebody could take your bank details and use them to set up a direct debit with a third party that was not connected with the 'somebody'. Which is what happened to Jeremy Clarkson. He gave out his bank details on air, and somebody went and set up a DD using these details, and thus a fraction of the Clarkson millions got diverted into the coffers of some charity.

Mind you that's not exactly what I would call a major threat. There must be a limited number of things you can pay for by DD that it would be worth someone's while trying to do so using someone else's bank details, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Still completely covered by the DD guarantee which allows you to do a complete and (supposed to be) immediate indemnity retrieval...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Naf wrote: »
    Still completely covered by the DD guarantee which allows you to do a complete and (supposed to be) immediate indemnity retrieval...

Only if you're sensible enough to check your statements regularly, I'm sure we've all read threads on here from people querying DDs that go back for years. Hopefully, the regulars on this forum would be more savvy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure