PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord won't replace V old carpet...

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Why not see if next door's LL has any properties available? I can't see why being six months pregnant would still you from moving, far easier now than with a baby in tow. The pets are going to make it more difficult, but that's not the fault of any landlord.

In the meantime, rugs. As a homeowner some of my carpet needs replacing but not all, so I have lovely rugs covering the more worn areas. I'll replace it all when it makes financial sense to do so.
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    I can't see why being six months pregnant would still you from moving

Different catchment areas for hospital treatment, stress, heavy lifting, financial implications... there are SO many reasons!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I just want to get a couple of opinions on this matter if poss.

We live in a small 2 bed rental house in Bristol, we pay £805 a month for our house and rent through a lettings agent (next door have the mirror image house and they pay £500 to a private landlord, sickening!)- you did agree to the £805 though. If that's higher than market rate, you can choose to move.

We've lived here 2 years and improved the property tenfold by repainting all the walls and ceilings and sorting the (overgrown) garden out for them. - that's up to you for your enjoyment. Make sure you get written permission for changes e.g.
    painting, the LL may not agree its an improvement and may be able to charge to restore it.

One issue we have is the carpet. Its a really old, once cream carpet with no underlay to speak of. Its hard, damp and very very grubby. Its getting to the point where hoovering just feels like polishing a turd. I'm fed up with it. - as long as it still functions as a carpet (ie floor covering, not dangerous) then replacing it is just cosmetic / personal preference, not a necessary repair. I've asked several times for it to be replaced and every time they've said no. In may we thought we were getting somewhere but they just sent someone round to shampoo it, which didn't look any different. - Cleaning it is your responsibility, the LL has no obligation to clean/replace

I have attached pics, what do you think. Have I got a case here? - No We are going to have a baby in a few months and there is no way I putting my baby anywhere near this carpet.- That's a personal preference, as long as you keep it clean it shouldn't affect baby.

Thanks

The carpets still function and are not dangerous, so replacing them is a personal choice and not a necessary repair. The LL has no obligation. Your options are

a. negotiate a replacement (because you're a good long term tenant, you asked nicely, you'll help with the cost, whatever)
    b. get written permission and replace at your cost
    c. move
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If it ends in thresholds, then roll it up, shove it somewhere out of the way, get your own length of vinyl laid down... easier to clean and you can always take it with you if you move and put the LL's carpet back.
  • I agree with IAmWales about the moving.

It's not ideal, but we moved 3 times between 4 months pregnant and birth.

4 months pregnant - sold our house and moved into a friend's house.
    6 months pregnant - moved into a rented house.
    Day of birth - got keys to our new house.

I was standing on chairs cleaning windows at 9 months and husband was gutting the kitchen while I was in hospital. Not ideal, but it's surprising what you can do when you have to. It should be easier to find a property on the outskirts of Bristol, as opposed to city centre properties, even with animals.

In my admittedly limited experience of renting, properties that allow animals tend to not be as nice as the ones that ban them. For obvious reasons I suppose.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would try a different carpet cleaning company. It will be more expensive but a decent one will improve it miles. I have seen some transformations.
  • Is it that bad in every room or just the hallway? It looks pretty grim but if it's been professionally cleaned it won't be harmful to let the baby crawl on.
  • Different catchment areas for hospital treatment, stress, heavy lifting, financial implications... there are SO many reasons!

Would it be a different catchment though? There aren't that many hospitals in Bristol. We moved nearly two hours away when I was 6 months pregnant and it was fine and even though it involved a completely new hospital and gp. You have had other problems with this house, so maybe moving would be good for you. You don't seem happy there.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2017 at 12:08PM
    Thanks Seashore. The carpets have already been professionally cleaned.

I think it is sickening that two identical houses have a rental difference of £300 actually! We live on the outskirts of Bristol, it takes 40 mins to get to town so a 1 bed flat in the city centre isn't really comparable.

Bitterness about the price your neighbours pay is not going to help you. They pay a ridiculous cheap rent even for the outskirts of the city. There may be a special reason for that.

The cheapest 2 bed house I could find in Bristol was £725 on rightmove, so you don't seem to be paying over the odds for what you have.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's been cleaned so there's no reason for it to be replaced other than for cosmetic reasons. You also have pets which is probably an additional disincentive for a landlord to replace the carpets as they may find themselves having to do so again if your pets cause damage or staining to them which requires replacement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure