Not Paying Business Water Charge

I’ve got a small online business and I have some office space in a building with 20 other offices in it. I recently got a bill through from “business stream” wanting something link £100 for water charges for the year (I’m in Scotland).

I’ve been told 10% of water bills never get paid so I’m tempted to not pay it. Half the units are empty and they will also have got bills so I doubt they will chase it. As it was sent to my office they have my name but not my home address so I don’t think it will affect my credit score.

So can we put morals aside and discus the pros and cons of simply not paying it.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I doubt if anyone on this forum will have much knowledge of business water accounts in Scotland.

It all depends how zealous the relevant authority will be in chasing defaulting customers.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Business Stream are part of Scottish Water who operate as an independant Co. supplying water to Businisses - Not paying their bills will eventually bring down the wrath of the gods.

I guess your office space has a kettle and loo facilities which use water/sewage
    but even if it's not Business Stream, you have to pay somebody to use it
  • I think their definition of ' business' is dubious tbh.

Last year we got a letter saying our water supplier was changing to business stream and we quiried it saying we don't run a business.

It seems providing our horses water from a trough is classed as business.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Horses are hardly domestic.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9 wrote: »
    Horses are hardly domestic.

They are large pets and by virtue of their size live outdoors.

They don't have a company name and arent registered at Companie house, they don't pay business rates, vat, tax, don't have a website or twitter account, they don't even have an MD, marketing department, suppliers or staff or even a regular sandwich lady, they don't have anything that connects them to a business but clearly the fact they drink water outside determins them as a business.
  • I’ve got a small online business and I have some office space in a building with 20 other offices in it. I recently got a bill through from “business stream” wanting something link £100 for water charges for the year (I’m in Scotland).

I’ve been told 10% of water bills never get paid so I’m tempted to not pay it. Half the units are empty and they will also have got bills so I doubt they will chase it. As it was sent to my office they have my name but not my home address so I don’t think it will affect my credit score.

So can we put morals aside and discus the pros and cons of simply not paying it.

Personally for such a small amount I would pay it. Maybe its just me but I think these things often have a horrible way of coming back to bite you in the bum.

I do wonder why you don't work from home as the building seems empty and its a small on-line business.
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I got a CCJ and then bayliff's at the door from not paying my water bill for 3 months because someone told me "there's nothing they can do if you just don't pay." That was for a domestic supply, not sure about business.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • BBH123 wrote: »
    Personally for such a small amount I would pay it. Maybe its just me but I think these things often have a horrible way of coming back to bite you in the bum.

I do wonder why you don't work from home as the building seems empty and its a small on-line business.

I have the office space mainly for storage reasons as the packaging and photography equipment take up large amounts of room and I don't have the space at home.

As for paying the bill I'm wondering both what the repercussion are and how likely they are to happen. I have only received one letter. Before they take further action they will presumable send me a further letter. Plus when you start looking into it they seem to send letters to empty buildings and companies that no longer exist. They can't chase them all up.

Plus the post ( http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=208552 ) alleges if you don't pay your water bill nothing happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure